Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Questions RE: Rear air bags for full size trucks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Questions RE: Rear air bags for full size trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

it looks like the tembrens work just like an air bag only not adjustable.
Jay D.

[emoticon]

[emoticon]yep, they just limit travel same as an air bag only not adjustable.
Jay D.

Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Airlift airbags rear and Firestone Air shocks front. I'd put airbags under my cab if I could after driving a Peterbilt. It doesn't cost that much to but the bags for your truck and easy to put them on. Most of the guys against them never had them so they don't know.All Tembren is is a Stop to keep the truck from squatting and are Teddy Roosevelts (Rough Riders)

Slowmover

Fort Worth, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/18 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What’s overlooked most often is quality shock absorbers. Entry level Koni or Bilstein far better than OEM or usual aftermarket, and King or Fox is a substantial upgrade for handling, braking and steering, not just ride.

Polyurethane bushings to replace the rubber anti-roll bar bushings is another. The truck handles just that wee bit better. Better predictability with both. Measure and order Energy Suspension greaseable type. Cheap and etfective.

Don’t say, well, Truck is new, etc. Towing exerts stresses where these will shine. I do it off the dealers lot.

* This post was edited 01/28/18 05:10pm by Slowmover *

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 12-cpm solo, 19.5-cpm towing fuel cost

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/18 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your in a 1 ton, just what do you plan on towing to think you need air bags. I drive basically the same truck, tow a 12K empty 5W loaded with "stuff" when we are out long periods. Rides level and hardly know it's there. Newer trucks seem to have issues when towing 5W's due to the height on the beds.

Do a search here for air bags on F350's https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum287/

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/18 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Run down I20 with 19,000 lb GVW and see if you done think you're on a bucking horse. That's why I have Airlift. Has nothing to do with how much wt the truck will carry. A Peterbilt has Airbags on each side of the rear axles, under the cab and airide seats. I could go to 120,000 lb GVW with permits. Timbrens are bumpstops, by the time they work, you've hit bottom and your Bottom.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/18 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Passin Thru wrote:

Run down I20 with 19,000 lb GVW and see if you done think you're on a bucking horse. That's why I have Airlift. Has nothing to do with how much wt the truck will carry. A Peterbilt has Airbags on each side of the rear axles, under the cab and airide seats. I could go to 120,000 lb GVW with permits. Timbrens are bumpstops, by the time they work, you've hit bottom and your Bottom.

So did my Western Star, but we are talking pickups not class 8 trucks

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Questions RE: Rear air bags for full size trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS