Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Questions RE: Rear air bags for full size trucks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Questions RE: Rear air bags for full size trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/17 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just get some Tibrens. They only go into use when truck has weight on it. Research it and you will see that they are better and less expensive. It won't change the ride when empty either

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/17 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put air bags on my 2010 GMC 1500 crew cab I tow a 27'T/T around 6500# loaded. with the trailer hooked up and my bars set my truck and trailer are almost completely level. in this stance the truck is not yet down on the heavier springs of the tow package. it tows great but I got a lot of up and down at the rear. the air bags at about 20# cured most of this and made a much better ride. when i'm not towing I drop the bags down to a pound or two and i'm back to my normal smooth ride.
Jay D.

* This post was edited 12/30/17 11:35pm by badsix *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

Just get some Tibrens. They only go into use when truck has weight on it. Research it and you will see that they are better and less expensive. It won't change the ride when empty either

While I like Timbrens and have used them in the past, as they are one of the most economical "solutions", their downside is they are extremely stiff once engaged. Kind of a not for all situations solution like airbags are.
To the OP, I cannot imagine the need for airbags on your truck and setup unless there is a specific need, like you're hauling another 2-3000lbs in the bed with the camper in tow.

You haven't replied as to why you think you need them as you're already running this truck and trailer together. What are you trying to accomplish?

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

While I like Timbrens and have used them in the past, as they are one of the most economical "solutions", their downside is they are extremely stiff once engaged. Kind of a not for all situations solution like airbags are.
To the OP, I cannot imagine the need for airbags on your truck and setup unless there is a specific need, like you're hauling another 2-3000lbs in the bed with the camper in tow.

You haven't replied as to why you think you need them as you're already running this truck and trailer together. What are you trying to accomplish?

I agree with what you are telling the OP, however my experience with Timbrens on my former 2005 Dodge DW was not what you are saying. The ride wasn't stiff at all when engaged for me. The added benefit is that when running empty the original set up is not altered. With airbags it is constantly connected and you must run the appropriate amount of air at all times.

JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/17 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Hi Grit Dog,

He did answer. It just may not have stuck out as it was inserted text in a replay of mine. See here. His reply was the post above it.

http://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/........d/29517566/gotomsg/29518959.cfm#29518959

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

tinner12002

Lafayette Ind

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have airbags on mine and it makes the ride a little better when loaded but mostly helps keep my headlights pointed in the right direction. I've also had the Tembrens on another truck and didn't like them because they made the truck ride like a log wagon when loaded! Felt like susp was bottomed out.

2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it looks like the tembrens work just like an air bag only not adjustable.
Jay D.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it looks like the tembrens work just like an air bag only not adjustable.
Jay D.

[emoticon]

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are basically longer bump stops...maybe different material n innards

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

clutch1

North Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/18 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air bags when used properly help keep your truck level. They do help with a travel trailer. The first thing I noticed was that I wasn't blinding everyone I met when the headlights were needed. With your truck and trailer level you have more control and a much better ride.

2017 Silverado 1500 5.3 well equiped with max tow package. 2011 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Questions RE: Rear air bags for full size trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS