cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Questions RE: Rear air bags for full size trucks

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My truck (in my signature) does not have them and I was considering adding them.

1. What do they do besides lift rear of truck?

2. Are they practical for use when towing a TT with a WDH?

3. Are they really more for lighter duty trucks looking to lift rear of truck when adding a heavy tongue load?

4. Do any of you have them and can you share your experiences/thoughts about them?

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
25 REPLIES 25

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
Run down I20 with 19,000 lb GVW and see if you done think you're on a bucking horse. That's why I have Airlift. Has nothing to do with how much wt the truck will carry. A Peterbilt has Airbags on each side of the rear axles, under the cab and airide seats. I could go to 120,000 lb GVW with permits. Timbrens are bumpstops, by the time they work, you've hit bottom and your Bottom.

So did my Western Star, but we are talking pickups not class 8 trucks

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Run down I20 with 19,000 lb GVW and see if you done think you're on a bucking horse. That's why I have Airlift. Has nothing to do with how much wt the truck will carry. A Peterbilt has Airbags on each side of the rear axles, under the cab and airide seats. I could go to 120,000 lb GVW with permits. Timbrens are bumpstops, by the time they work, you've hit bottom and your Bottom.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Your in a 1 ton, just what do you plan on towing to think you need air bags. I drive basically the same truck, tow a 12K empty 5W loaded with "stuff" when we are out long periods. Rides level and hardly know it's there. Newer trucks seem to have issues when towing 5W's due to the height on the beds.

Do a search here for air bags on F350's https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum287/
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Whatโ€™s overlooked most often is quality shock absorbers. Entry level Koni or Bilstein far better than OEM or usual aftermarket, and King or Fox is a substantial upgrade for handling, braking and steering, not just ride.

Polyurethane bushings to replace the rubber anti-roll bar bushings is another. The truck handles just that wee bit better. Better predictability with both. Measure and order Energy Suspension greaseable type. Cheap and etfective.

Donโ€™t say, well, Truck is new, etc. Towing exerts stresses where these will shine. I do it off the dealers lot.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Airlift airbags rear and Firestone Air shocks front. I'd put airbags under my cab if I could after driving a Peterbilt. It doesn't cost that much to but the bags for your truck and easy to put them on. Most of the guys against them never had them so they don't know.All Tembren is is a Stop to keep the truck from squatting and are Teddy Roosevelts (Rough Riders)

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
it looks like the tembrens work just like an air bag only not adjustable.
Jay D.

:h

:?yep, they just limit travel same as an air bag only not adjustable.
Jay D.

clutch1
Explorer
Explorer
Air bags when used properly help keep your truck level. They do help with a travel trailer. The first thing I noticed was that I wasn't blinding everyone I met when the headlights were needed. With your truck and trailer level you have more control and a much better ride.
2017 Silverado 1500 5.3 well equiped with max tow package. 2011 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
They are basically longer bump stops...maybe different material n innards
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Jay D.

:h

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Jay D.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I have airbags on mine and it makes the ride a little better when loaded but mostly helps keep my headlights pointed in the right direction. I've also had the Tembrens on another truck and didn't like them because they made the truck ride like a log wagon when loaded! Felt like susp was bottomed out.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:

To the OP, I cannot imagine the need for airbags on your truck and setup unless there is a specific need, like you're hauling another 2-3000lbs in the bed with the camper in tow.

You haven't replied as to why you think you need them as you're already running this truck and trailer together. What are you trying to accomplish?

Hi Grit Dog,

He did answer. It just may not have stuck out as it was inserted text in a replay of mine. See here. His reply was the post above it.

http://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29517566/gotomsg/29518959.cfm#29518959
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
Just get some Tibrens. They only go into use when truck has weight on it. Research it and you will see that they are better and less expensive. It won't change the ride when empty either

While I like Timbrens and have used them in the past, as they are one of the most economical "solutions", their downside is they are extremely stiff once engaged. Kind of a not for all situations solution like airbags are.
To the OP, I cannot imagine the need for airbags on your truck and setup unless there is a specific need, like you're hauling another 2-3000lbs in the bed with the camper in tow.

You haven't replied as to why you think you need them as you're already running this truck and trailer together. What are you trying to accomplish?

I agree with what you are telling the OP, however my experience with Timbrens on my former 2005 Dodge DW was not what you are saying. The ride wasn't stiff at all when engaged for me. The added benefit is that when running empty the original set up is not altered. With airbags it is constantly connected and you must run the appropriate amount of air at all times.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SweetLou wrote:
Just get some Tibrens. They only go into use when truck has weight on it. Research it and you will see that they are better and less expensive. It won't change the ride when empty either

While I like Timbrens and have used them in the past, as they are one of the most economical "solutions", their downside is they are extremely stiff once engaged. Kind of a not for all situations solution like airbags are.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold