cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cars to flat tow for class C motor homes

bbbrvowner
Explorer
Explorer
Suggestions for cars to flat or dinghy tow behind a class c motor home? Would a small SUV be good? If so, what year and make? Looking for a 4 door. I think jeeps are good, but looking for something less expensive.
14 REPLIES 14

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
We used to tow a 2001 4 door 4x4 blazer that we replaced this year with a 2003 4 door 4x4 exploder.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
we tow a hyundai elantra about 2800 lbs, good wide stance and wheel base. It is a 6sp manual as that is all that can be towed by the manual. Actually fairly roomy has full fold down rear seats for cargo space, 150hp direct injection 4 cyl engine. Have taken short trip to mountains with it and it did very well. We average around 8mpg with and without it in tow so its light weight does help it seems.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jayco-noslide wrote:
When they say " I don't even know it's back there", don't believe it unless it's a bit diesel pusher. I certainly know my 2700 lb. Sonic is back there behind out 30 ft. Class C V-10 because the MH feels like a lively car when not towing. I would never tow some of the pick-ups and big SUV's I see towed.

I know my tow is back there because as soon as I pull out of my street I am trying to accelerate to 30 mph going up an 8% grade. The other times I know it is there is when entering a 15-20 mph curve a little too fast, because the towed vehicle first pushes the rear of the RV to the outside of the curve, then pulls it back to the inside as the tow starts to come into the curve.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
When they say " I don't even know it's back there", don't believe it unless it's a bit diesel pusher. I certainly know my 2700 lb. Sonic is back there behind out 30 ft. Class C V-10 because the MH feels like a lively car when not towing. I would never tow some of the pick-ups and big SUV's I see towed.
Jayco-noslide

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to replace our 2012 Chevy Sonic auto trans(excellent dinghy) next spring so I've researched it considerably. The 1st question is do you have to have an auto trans? If yes, that narrows down the choices quickly, especially if you want a late model. The 2nd question to me is weight. You might, but I don't want to tow anything heavier that the 2900 to 3000 lb. range; Sonic is 2700. As far as I know anything with a CVT trans is out. I've narrowed down to a Ford Focus hatchback auto.(but you can't tow all models) and a Honda Fit(has to be a manual trans if very new) There are others but not many. The final say on whether you can tow it or not, is the vehicle manual. Most will address "towing behind a motor home". I believe Toyota and Honda make no new towable vehicles with auto. I think SUV's are too heavy except for the very smallest. Not sure about Jeeps but I would check the consumer reports repair record(not good).
Jayco-noslide

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've towed a 2001 Ford Ranger pickup (about 3600 pounds) and a 2012 Honda Fit (2600 pounds). Smaller tows better. Both were manual transmission, an issue for some folks. For "less expensive" consider used vehicles (now called pre-owned). My son-in-law seldom pays more than $5000 for a vehicle, and has had a couple in the $500-1000 range (both would have been towable four-doors), which he considers disposable, drive it until it breaks.

I would not buy any new car as a towed vehicle. I bought the Ranger 6 years old, for about 1/3 of original price. I drove the Fit three years before converting it to a towed vehicle.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Ford hybrids - C-Max, Fusion and Lincoln MKC. Very good fuel economy and they tow very well also - - no fuses to pull or battery cables to disconnect. Just put the transmission in neutral and go.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
You can tow anything behind a class C that doesn't exceed the various tow ratings of the class C. Consult your weight ratings and a good CAT weight is helpful. There's nothing different or special about it being a class C.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
We either tow a VW Beetle Convert on a Demco or a Wrangler via a Roadmaster bar with our Coachmen 28QB.

Gary

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Mom towed a Chevy Cobalt (don't remember the year, but I think it was an 08 or 09) because it was so very light. I remember driving their Class C on a trip and wondering why that little car was so close behind me. With the right set up, you could forget it was there. She used blue ox tow bars.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
we tow a 13 Hyundai Elantra behind our aspect. less than 3000 lbs good wide stance for stability. Mainly you will be looking for a manual transmission vehicle, but make sure it is towable.

I paid around $800 for the baseplate and wiring harness installs. found the baseplate cheaper on line but then you need to factor in shipping and then the install costs which came out as a wash for just getting done by camp world. Install had special prices so it was a no brainer.

We get on average about 37 mpg when it is drive, have seen mid 40's on flat terrain. Makes for a good tow. Rear seat lie down flat for more trunk space but there also is a hatchback style available. Ours has 150 Hp direct injection engine, 6 sp trans so has plenty of power to get around, just took it into mountains for a funeral and it did fine. Just dont see many being towd. BTW KIA is also owned by Hyundai!

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
We're in a class A but we tow a Mini Cooper Roadster S (6-speed) 4-down. The bonus's to this one is it's fast and fun and comes in a very small and light package. I think it comes in at about 2600 lbs.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

Off_Pavement
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
bbbrvowner wrote:
Suggestions for cars to flat or dinghy tow behind a class c motor home? Would a small SUV be good? If so, what year and make? Looking for a 4 door. I think jeeps are good, but looking for something less expensive.

The best way to go about finding a toad for your MH is to look at cars that you like and fit YOUR needs, and are within the weight limits of your RV, and perhaps also dual as a family vehicle so you are not maintaining 2 cars, insurance, registration etc.

THEN look to see if they can be towed four down. That info will be in the owners manual.

Couldn't agree more! Here is our choice...

The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
bbbrvowner wrote:

The best way to go about finding a toad for your MH is to look at cars that you like and fit YOUR needs, and are within the weight limits of your RV, and perhaps also dual as a family vehicle so you are not maintaining 2 cars, insurance, registration etc.

THEN look to see if they can be towed four down. That info will be in the owners manual.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.