cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overnight in a pop up with the top down

csh_2088
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if anyone has ever done this and if it's safe? I ask because if I ever stay in a Walmart parking lot and its' late to save time and keep the noise down it would be nice to just crawl in and sleep.
25 REPLIES 25

MKish
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 5'1". The interior height of my Northstar 800 ranges from about 5'1.5" to maybe 4'11", depending on how much stuff we have piled on the bed before depopping. Any more than that and it's too hard to latch. ๐Ÿ˜›

Testudo
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2006 OUTFITTER Caribou 6.5. I'm over 6 feet and we use the camper with the top down all the time ( cooking, eating, etc.). That being said, I don't think twice about popping the top at a rest stop ( or anywhere else for that matter ) after lunch, for example, to take in a power nap.

It's just my wife and myself so we've never actually had an occasion to use the lower ( dinette area ) bed. I've always considered it an option but after 11 years of ownership, there has never been a reason to sleep down there. The plywood filler piece is, without a doubt, the most underutilized piece of equipment on the camper.

I can't say that I comprehend the OP's question, "I was wondering... if it's safe?"

Safe from what ? ...You won't suffocate. There is make-up air from the roof vents and usually from around the refrigerator, if nowhere else. OUTFITTERs ( ...and all other RVs ) have gas detection sensors ( placed lower than the lowest sleeping location) so, in the event of a gas leak, I think you will wake up to the sound of the ear piercing alarm before you succumb to the propane. Sure, the lower height of that sleeping location is a shorter distance for ticks, bedbugs, and vipers to climb. But the odds are that you are going to be the 'vehicle' that brings those noxious fauna into the camper in the first place - - they are unlikely to scale the camper shell to get in.

Some people seem to think that pop-up truck campers are less secure than a hard-sided camper for someone inside. That's really not the case. The most dangerous animal I can think of is another human and I think they would be pretty insane to invade an occupied RV. If it was me, I would go invade a business or a home before I would risk entering an RV - - less likely to end up with the contents of my skull splattered all over the inside of the camper.
Testudo & Princesse Caribou
2012 FORD F-250 6.2L 4x4 EC SB SRW
2006 FORD F-250 5.4L manual trans (Sniff! Gone but not forgotten!)
2006 OUTFITTER SUPER-Caribou 6.5

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a couple of different times when strong storms were brewing we let the top down and slept on the dinette/bed in our Outfitter Apex 8. Not a problem.
magic43

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
realter wrote:
MKish wrote:
I can stand up in my popup with the top down if we have a lot of bedding in the cabover...

Wanna get to the storage under the bed? Pop up, get your sleeping bag, pop down. Stealth achieved.

Not to get too personal, but you must be under 5' tall??

.....:h

I wondered about that as well. I know I have to always remember the top is down or I hit the roof.

I think that if my wife and I did that (top down emergency camp) one of us would have to sleep on the floor and it wouldn't be my wife either....:E
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

realter
Explorer
Explorer
MKish wrote:
I can stand up in my popup with the top down if we have a lot of bedding in the cabover...

Wanna get to the storage under the bed? Pop up, get your sleeping bag, pop down. Stealth achieved.

Not to get too personal, but you must be under 5' tall??

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
MKish wrote:
I can stand up in my popup with the top down if we have a lot of bedding in the cabover...otherwise my hair gets mussed.

I could certainly sleep on the dinette. Check length of dinette and of self before attempting.)

I could use the cooktop if I exercised caution. Would rather not.

Sink, furnace, fridge, water heater: no problem.

Hair isn't an issue with me, I don't have much and what I do have is shaved off anyway. I ascribe to the Uhl Brenner look. Shave it off and polish the dome. Reflectivity is everything....lol

In ours, I guess we could use the cooktop but it's awful close to the roof. Cold sandwiches and pop are a better alternative.

Taking abolut it has me thinking of trying it out (top down) maybe in the driveway, to see if it's doable.
2015 Backpack SS1500

MKish
Explorer
Explorer
I can stand up in my popup with the top down if we have a lot of bedding in the cabover...otherwise my hair gets mussed.

I could certainly sleep on the dinette. Check length of dinette and of self before attempting.)

I could use the cooktop if I exercised caution. Would rather not.

Sink, furnace, fridge, water heater: no problem.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
I've done it my Outfitter, cooked on the cooktop, and used the toilet. The Outfitter is laid out so it's possible.

You can sleep in the cabover with the top down?

I'd like to see that (not). You'd have to be pretty skinny to get in the bunk on mine. With the roof down it's maybe 12" clear space between the mattress and the roof. Not something I'd attempt and I don't like tight spots anyway... Besides, I keep my 'junk' up there, lawn chairs and bunk ladder are up there when travelling.

I can access my fridge, use the toilet and sleep on the dinette which converts into a bed but that is about it and headroom is at a premium. I'm 6'1" and it's a tight fit. No standing up. I can run the Fantastic fans and turn on the lights as well but no cooking. Cooktop is too close to the roof in the closed position.

Furnace is doable however.

Never considered it really and no way my wife and I could both fit on the dinette bed.

I can see doing that in a pinch but practical, not really.
2015 Backpack SS1500

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
csh_2088 wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. When camping with the top down do you use your propane furnace or another heater? Which is safer?

The propane heater will work just fine and safely with the top down. Because the volume is much less, it will short cycle and tend to heat unevenly each cycle. You will be sleeping close to it and it will be noisy.

If you have shore power, you can use an electric space heater. Just be careful of the hot surfaces in the cramped quarters.

Recommend you practice some cold evening in your driveway to figure it all out.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

csh_2088
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice. When camping with the top down do you use your propane furnace or another heater? Which is safer?

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
....unless you're under 5' tall .....

NorthStar 650Sc has an interior height closed of 5'1".

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
DiskDoctr wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
...unless you're under 5' tall you can't walk anywhere near upright...

What "popup" is FIVE FEET high inside when the top is down?

Pop up truck campers. Youโ€™re in the TC forum.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
...unless you're under 5' tall you can't walk anywhere near upright...

What "popup" is FIVE FEET high inside when the top is down?

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
I've done it my Outfitter, cooked on the cooktop, and used the toilet. The Outfitter is laid out so it's possible.

You can sleep in the cabover with the top down?

No, on the dinette when converted to a bed! :R
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires