cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts on AT&T fixed Wireless

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that AT&T is offering fixed wireless in my area. I am rural and currently have my AT&T hotspot as my only internet. As far as speed, my hotspot serves me well, but I am limited on data usage and itโ€™s expensive.

I was wondering how this fixed wireless internet stacks up to a hotspot. I have done some reading and if I understand correctly, this is still cellular internet, they just put equipment in your home to create a WiFi.

I would appreciate any thoughts or reviews of this service, sine it would definitely offer me more data than what I currently have.
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C
18 REPLIES 18

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Excide. 2-way LEO satallite. I know people using it
If you are talking about Exede (now Viasat) it is not LEO (Low Earth Orbit). It is in a geostationary orbit 22,000 miles above the earth. Prices start at $70/month for 12 Mbps download service.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
The fixed wireless allows me to stream videos, Netflix, and you tube. They say they guarantee 10 mbps, but fine print says this can be less depending on number of devices etc. A little buffering with Direct TV on playback mode, but on my laptop and phone, no buffering at all. The speed is about the same as my LTE hotspot, if there is a difference it is not noticeable except if we have 3 or more things going on internet. It's not as good as a broadband type internet but it is better that what we had before. I only had 30 GB with my hotspot.

Now if they could just reduce cell phone bills. I am paying $135 for 30 GB, called to change plan and 10 GB shared data plan cost $135. Unlimited was $135, but limited hotspot of 15 gb. Still not sure what to do there other than get rid of AT&T.
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
And what kind of speeds are you seeing with the fixed wireless?

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
From my understanding, the Homebase service is slower than regular cell data. That homebase data is lower on the totem pole than others data.

What kind of speeds are you guys with the homebase seeing?

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
cooperwl wrote:
Just wish homebase was more available.

When I went in to my local AT&T office they knew nothing about it. I had to show them an ad from the internet and they called 'regional' to find out that it really was available. You might say I was a little pushy, but otherwise they kept saying it didn't exist in my area.

cooperwl
Explorer
Explorer
Just wish homebase was more available.

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
My Homebase has a telephone capability and allows up to 250Gb of data usage a month for just under $60.

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
There is a data cap of 170 GB, I have an intro monthly fee of $50, after a year $60. I hear they are working to eliminate data cap, but 170 works for me.
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
bayoubelle wrote:
Just a quick note, so far we have had AT&T Fixed Wireless about 3 months and it works as well as our hotspot did. It is amazing that we use twice the amount of data and we haven't really changed our habits. Our only complaint is that our Samsung TV won't stream Netflix, even though all the other TV's and devices do. Neither Samsung or AT&T can figure out the problem. So I stream with my Hotspot, which works, go figure.

So if they are offering it in your neck of the woods, it's worth looking into. It is less expensive the satellite internet.

What kind of $$ are they charging for fixed wireless?
I assume no data caps?
I am waiting for them to get it in my area....

But it looks like another company is expanding a fixed wireless in my area, but its not the little antennas on the power poles like ATT.

Thanks

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you do not have good HIGH SPEED in your area...Well there are options

I gather AT&T is using cell towers. I know they can vector a higher priority on one device over another (T-mobile does too) and do it by Device IMEA (Electronic serial number) rather than type.. (I get a priority downgrade at 50 gigs total data. I still get high speed, but if the tower is busy I may slow down before someone else)

Excide. 2-way LEO satallite. I know people using it

Hughes Gen 5 I think it's called or even 7000 but that's not much better than DSL
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick note, so far we have had AT&T Fixed Wireless about 3 months and it works as well as our hotspot did. It is amazing that we use twice the amount of data and we haven't really changed our habits. Our only complaint is that our Samsung TV won't stream Netflix, even though all the other TV's and devices do. Neither Samsung or AT&T can figure out the problem. So I stream with my Hotspot, which works, go figure.

So if they are offering it in your neck of the woods, it's worth looking into. It is less expensive the satellite internet.
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad it seems to be working out for you.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
I called and this service is basically cellular data, but with an antenna and box to bring it into your home as wifi. Since I have decent AT&T service I am hoping this will work just as well. So I went ahead and scheduled an installation. I have 14 day grace period to remove it if it doesn't work well. They also said that if the service isn't acceptable they won't install or charge me.

We will see, I have been an AT&T and DirectTV customer for years and have never had any issues with them

It seems that home base is not available in my area. Why? I don't know, but they sure love keeping affordable internet to rural customers a secret.

Thanks for the help
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer
Explorer
AT&T will play games with you on the fixed location. In my area of rural of Colorado they said they offered high speed over the land line. It technically met the Colorado definition of high speed but it was much slower than the hot spot. Finally got a new local carrier with the little dish on the house. Dropped AT&T like a hot potato. Would have dropped them sooner, but we are heavy data users and couldn't afford the AT&T upcharges.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!