cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Honda EU2200i

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
This was news to me, figured I'd post it on the chance someone is thinking of getting a 2000.

http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=10086-en
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA
38 REPLIES 38

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
Just curious Bob, do you know where your Honda is manufactured? I find the Chinese knockoff comment pretty comical.

I do know that it's not China. ๐Ÿ˜„

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
I would consider replacing my current EU2000 for the 2200 with slightly more power yet same weight and similar noise levels.

Just as a reminder, the new 2200 is quite a bit louder than the 2000 when each one is putting out into their maximum power ranges ... such as for powering RV air conditioners or other RV electrical items that one might want to run together at the same time.

Their maximum output noise levels are significantly different. The "dB" noise specification system is not directly proportional when comparing dB numbers to the actual sound intensity differences, so the higher dB rating of the 2200 at full power will sound quite a bit louder to human ears.

In my opinion Honda missed an outstanding engineering opportunity to impress - by not designing the 2200 to have the same high power range noise level or even better, a lower high power range noise level. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I don't think Honda is missing out on much of anything. Now they've got both. Still the best on the market hands down.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
Just curious Bob, do you know where your Honda is manufactured? I find the Chinese knockoff comment pretty comical.

robert_at_honda could better answer this but I seem to recall him saying some time ago that the Honda EU series is manufactured either in Japan or now Thailand, depending on which model we're talking about. The EU2000i in recent years has been manufactured in Thailand, I'd presume the new EU2200i would as well. I've owned 2 EU2000i gensets, the first was manufactured in Japan, the second in Thailand. Comical as it may be I doubt China has anything to do with it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Indeed, you surely would not want to have to give in to that gnawing feeling and mounting evidence that the "pretend look alike" just might be a better value than that overpriced honda.

Sure sounds to me like you're trying to convince yourself. Don't worry yourself over the little Honda and buy one of those Chinese knockoffs; that will probably make you a happy man! Meanwhile, I'm just fine with my over-priced Hondas...

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
But thatโ€™s my point. If I have to turn off systems that are needed like the charger, then the generator is too small.

well, using that logic a 30A service is to small. I can't charge fully depleted batteries, run the AC, the WH, and the microwave at the same time..... darn. guess I need to go to a 50A service.

Seriously, except at higher altitudes where one honda 2000 can't necessarily run the AC, I've never been in a situation where I felt the honda 2000 wasn't doing an adequate job of supplying my generator needs including running the AC especially in conjunction with the micro-air easy start.

and in most cases, I CAN run the converter AND the AC with my honda 2000. as long as the altitude is below about 3500 ft and my batteries have 80 percent charge or more I CAN run both. and that cover 99 percent of my needs.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Also even with a soft start kit, a 2200W generator will be maxed out. You would be lucky if the inverter/charger doesnโ€™t trip the Genny ckt. Let alone wanting run anything else.

Clearly you don't understand the purpose of the Micro-Air Easy Start Soft Starter Kit, even though the name says it all. :S This is all about the ability to reliably start the A/C compressor every time, not with maxing out the genset while running. :R

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
But thatโ€™s my point. If I have to turn off systems that are needed like the charger, then the generator is too small.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Also even with a soft start kit, a 2200W generator will be maxed out. You would be lucky if the inverter/charger doesnโ€™t trip the Genny ckt. Let alone wanting run anything else.

just turn off the charger.....
I use the micro air and the honda 2000 has enough output to run the AC continually at altitudes to at least 3500 feet even at temps near 100.

somewhere around 4500 it will overload. but I'll be the 2200 will have enough extra to run at 4500.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Indeed, you surely would not want to have to give in to that gnawing feeling and mounting evidence that the "pretend look alike" just might be a better value than that overpriced honda.

Having owned 2 Honda EU2000i gensets and knowing how well it does work, how it's surge capability is SO much better than the competition, how much in demand the EU2000i is that makes selling a used one SO easy - no, not a chance, the Honda is IMO worth the price it demands. :B

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
If I'm going to invest an extra $300 to run an AC, I'm going to put it in the generator. The extra watts are much more useful to me For a wide variety of uses.

SoundGuy wrote:
To each his / her own but $300 on top of the cost of an EU2000i or EU2200i sure isn't going to buy an EU3000iS or EU3000i Handi, it's still far less costly to just add an Easy Start to the A/C.

wing_zealot wrote:
You're wrong about how much more I can get for my $300, but you're right- it won't be a honda. Overpriced.

"Wrong"? :h Now that's funny. :W American Honda's suggested retail for an EU2000i is $1150, for an EU3000iS $2330, for an EU3000i Handi $2600 ... maybe new math says that's only a $300 difference but to those of us who live in the real world the difference is FAR more than the cost of a Micro-Air Easy Start that will allow a single EU2000i or the new EU2200i to easily start a 13,500 BTU A/C. With a full rated output of 1800 watts (15 amps @ 120 vac) the new EU2200i is also much more likely to continue powering that A/C once past it's 1/2 hr surge rating of 2200 watts.

This discussion is about the Honda 2K series of inverter gensets ... whether a Honda genset is "overpriced" is strictly your opinion but in the real world the old adage that "you get what you pay for" generally proves to be true - it just may take some time for that to become evident. ๐Ÿ˜‰ If your preference is to spend your $$$ on a pretend look-a-like that's entirely your choice but those who acknowledge the popularity of the Honda EU series see greater value in buying just one Honda 2K genset and adding a Micro-Air Easy Start Soft Starter Kit to their A/C. For those who approach this intelligently it's not about total watts but about how you best utilize those watts available to you. ๐Ÿ˜‰

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

wing_zealot wrote:
If I'm going to invest an extra $300 to run an AC, I'm going to put it in the generator. The extra watts are much more useful to me For a wide variety of uses.

To each his / her own but $300 on top of the cost of an EU2000i or EU2200i sure isn't going to buy an EU3000iS or EU3000i Handi, it's still far less costly to just add an Easy Start to the A/C.
You're wrong about how much more I can get for my $300, but you're right- it won't be a honda. Overpriced.