cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the BEST camping experience you ever had?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours was at Vogel SP in GA. Christmas Eve, snow began to fall. It was soft and silent. The campground was half empty and those who were in adjacent campsites to ours all came out and admired the snow while offering each other hot chocolate around the campfires. Someone pulled out a guitar and we sang Christmas carols around the campfire while the snow was falling. Then we all decided to walk through the rest of the cg and sing carols for the other campers. Everyone was smiling. Everyone was pleasant.

Good times.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
68 REPLIES 68

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
2005 trip to Alaska in my truck camper with my 16 month old lab (departed this past August). We fished and bird hunted halibut, salmon, ptarmigin, grouse and ducks. Departed October 1st. Best 3 months of my life. Wife flew up for a week and it was the only bad weather I had.
We're hoping to replicate that trip in 2019 with our new lab, Zeke. Wife be along for the whole trip, I hope. Maybe a few weeks respite while we're hunting birds.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Went to scout camp Sea Base with the two boy’s years ago. When it was in the upper nineties up north. 85 down there but so humid. I was an adult advisor (committee chairman).

Camped on an island in the keys for a week. The only permeant thing was Mt. Clevis. A twenty step thing you went up to the top do your duty.

They took us there in large Boston whalers. We had to walk across the bay ferrying all of our positions and frozen food for the week in insulated 50gal barrels via canoes. The bay water had to be way over 100 degrees. It hurt.

There were two great parts to the trip.

First we would go out on the Boston whalers and fish for supper for the night.

The second part was we arrived there when it was just legal to harvest spiny lobster.

The truly great part of the trip was in the frozen barrels was butter and steak to have with the lobsters cooked that night.

The rest of the stay was normal scout stuff.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Backpacking in Michigan's Porcupine Mountains.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I cannot agree that "everytime I hook up the trailer" we have a great trip. Some are much better than others. Some destinations are loved to death. Sometimes it snows too much. Each year I have lots of good trips, a few great trips, and maybe one doggy one.

Traveling well and enjoying every day takes some acquired skills. It takes some practice and some adjustments.

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
My best trips was not the places but the people.
Many great trips but one of the best was my wife and I along with our grandson. Friends we camping with us with their granddaughter.
Watching them play and spending time together was priceless.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Six weeks in a VW bus moving to California from the East Coast was pretty good.
Traveling to the West Coast on Route 66 in a '57 Chevy was pretty good back in 1969. We spent the summer surfing, and traveled home for a couple of weeks through Washington and Montana.
I have had many great trips every year since. I don't go out there because I like it. I have to go.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We were camping at Gros Ventre Campground in the Tetons My wife and I are early risers and usually went on an early morning walk and let the kids sleep a little longer. One day we were walking through a tangle of brush along the river with my wife leading and she stopped in her tracks. I told her to get moving because the kids would be up soon. She whispered that there was a moose up ahead. I looked around the corner and there was the back side of a young bull moose about 3 feet away. We quietly backed up while keeping large trees between us and the moose.
Later on the same trip, we were hiking along South Rim Trail between the upper and lower Yellowstone falls. Our 4 daughters (aged 5 to 12) ran ahead to explore. They came running back all excited and #3 informed me that there was a bison laying in the middle of the trail up ahead. I took my camera and got a photo of stupid people walking within 10 feet of a full grown bison bull. Some people have no respect for what wild animal can do. A bison can run 30 mph and a person is no more than a speed bump when they run over you.
The bison is now the favorite animal of daughter #3. Her house looks like a bison museum.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Explorer II
Explorer II
Taking our children to the river when they were young. We had a black lab back then that loved the water.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tent camping with my wife when we were in our early 30s.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just came back from the best camping trip this year. Late Oct in Yosemite in a canvas wall tent with a wood stove. We found a remote sequoia stand a long way from a road. Saw just one person in 4 hours and some mountain lion scat. Great food with a Dutch Oven. Went to Hetch Hetchy for the first time. Pacific dogwoods were pink and pale orange. The people in the colder weather are easy to get along with. The lightweights have all gone home. I read John Muir at night. Great trip.

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
My best camping memories from my youth are camping in Pfeiffer Big Sur, buying weed off the hippies, the naked hippie chicks swimming in the creek, dancing every night at the campground with a bunch of other teens, etc.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
md_procouple wrote:
I tend to think it was the year that my wife did aa a "Travel Nurse" we spent a year, first in Az. then to N.M. then to NC. Now only have to wait 2 more years before we hit the road as full-timers. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!

We also have a dog named "Scruffy"! He is an 11 yr old Silky Poo! Smartest and sweetest doggie ever! He LOVES camping with us!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
1st trip with the travel trailer, state campground... ok
2nd trip with travel trailer, campground my wife literally grew up in, and all I heard about was how close everybody was, and how it was family... pffftttt, not anymore
3rd trip in the travel trailer, holiday weekend, what are we going to do, we have no reservations anywhere. I threw an off the wall idea at her, and next thing I know, we have reservations
we cancelled our planned 4th trip to go back
we went back again labor day weekend
we went back again in October for Halloween, and bought a park model in the park.

Sold the travel trailer the following spring and haven't look back. Our long term plans are for a 5th wheel for either full time or near full timers.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best camping in an RV have been boondocks trips in the woods with no one around.
Best camping trips have been mule packing and river trips to places like Wyoming, Colorado, Washington and Oregon.