Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: What's the BEST camping experience you ever had?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> What's the BEST camping experience you ever had?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/17 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours was at Vogel SP in GA. Christmas Eve, snow began to fall. It was soft and silent. The campground was half empty and those who were in adjacent campsites to ours all came out and admired the snow while offering each other hot chocolate around the campfires. Someone pulled out a guitar and we sang Christmas carols around the campfire while the snow was falling. Then we all decided to walk through the rest of the cg and sing carols for the other campers. Everyone was smiling. Everyone was pleasant.

Good times.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Keep on rollin'!
Magnus

southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/17 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every time I hook up the trailer...

2011 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab 6.7 CTD 4X4
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
PullRite SuperGlide 5th Airborne

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/17 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Best" is impossible to narrow down. "Memorable" and "eventful" is another thing. And there again, it's not necessarily the location either. "Best, memorable, and eventful" are more meaningful when considering the activities we did and if we were with family or not. Some of the fondest memories are camping with my in-laws. They had a little Terry 15 foot rebuilt camper and we had ours. The time spent together (on several occasions) was priceless. One of those memories was with my father-in-law at a festival and we were literally eating our way from one end to the other getting samples from every food vendor there. My mother-in-law was so mad at us for eating so much, she was spitting nails! We had a blast, not so much eating, but watching mom-in-law explode! I mean! That's kind of hard to top!

My father-in-law is gone now, so is that little Terry 15 foot camper. That's why the memories are so special now.

Edit:

I remember I was about 10 years old and my parents parked their camper at a campground. It was the 4th of July. Fireworks started, and one of the fireworks landed on a neighbor's travel trailer. The thing caught fire and burned to the ground! Now that was very memorable!

I remember the time we got caught in a tornado and ended up in the campground bath house. Everyone was in there with their pets and such panicked out of their minds. My wife and I had a blast, making light of the situation with comments like ... "hope the tornado takes the camper, we can get a new one then!" Our willy-nilly antics broke the trauma everyone was experience and folks lightened up and realized it wasn't so bad after all. Tornado never hit, it just few near by.

I remember in Florida a few years ago when our little dog just went nuts and was so incredibly excited walking on a trail. You'd thought the little guy had never been on a walk before. He was so excited to be somewhere new! We still laugh about that even today! Hard to top that one too.

And another time years ago, when another dog spotted a goose, took of bolting after the goose. The goose jumped in the lake, the dog followed swimming out after the goose. It happened so fast. Then all of a sudden, the dog realized he was in the middle of the lake. Stopped swimming after the goose, turned around and looked at us like ... HELP! I can't swim! It was so funny!

How about the time the kids were little. We were hiking a trail. It turned out to be much longer than expected. We were all tired. The poor little dog (a different one) just couldn't go any longer. I ended up carrying the dog the rest of the way, it began pouring rain in droves! The trail was muddy now. We were all slipping and sliding! Everyone was covered with mud now, dog was soaked, we were a mess, everything wet, tired, awful! Finally made it back to the van and laughed for years over that!

The list goes on and on.... not places are the "best"... "memories" that are not-forgettable is what its all about.

* This post was edited 12/20/17 10:01am by DutchmenSport *

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

md_procouple

Parkville, Md.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/17 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We agree with southersky !! Anytime we hook up and go weather its local or long distance !! Good Luck and Happy Camping !! and MERRY CHRISTMAS Everyone !!!

Vickie, Me, and "Toto" our dog make THREE
">

janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/17 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X3, anytime I pull out of the driveway with the coach.

Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/17 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you want to know her name, or just what we did? [emoticon]

I'm kidding!

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/17 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the others. I can't say i've ever really had a bad experience - even when things went wrong, I was thrilled to be out there.

Best time? So many choices and no way to narrow them down. Might include some of those worst times in hindsight as they bring a smile to my face thinking on them.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

chris3403

Jeffersonville, In

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/17 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport got me remembering: 7 tornadoes hit while I was in different campgrounds.
Patoka Lake Indiana 2 different ones: one with my Mother and years later with the wife and 2 grandchildren. We tent camped at the time and it destroyed the campsite so we went home and I went back the next day to try and salvage what I could.
Brookville Lake Indiana with my granddaughter (one of the 2 grandchildren) 2nd one with her this time I was with her Mother and the future son-in-law and this was our first meeting. Looked up in the sky and saw it starting to drop down, yelled at the granddaughter, daughter and the wife to get in the truck. Granddaughter said, "what about Ron? I said the hell with Ron," thinking that Ron would have enough sense to jump in the back of the truck seeing as how there was 4 of us in the front seat and the truck didn't have a back seat. Ron sprinted off to his vehicle and we all got out of there safely with trees falling all around us.
The next year at Nolin Lake Kentucky I'm with the grandson (2nd grandchild) and the wife so I've been in 3 different tornadoes with 2 different grandchildren and they have each been in 2 with me. Once again I looked up and saw it starting to drop down so I fired the boat up and took off like a bat out of hell not telling the grandson what was happening.
We went flying down that lake and I told him when we stop I want you to jump out of the boat without looking back and run to the bathroom and stay in there. So I pull up to the bank and yell run and he jumps out and runs and before I can throw out the anchor and get the boat tied up 2 trees drop right next to me. The wife came looking for us and I just happened to look out of the bathhouse at the right moment and flagged her down.
Also been in a tornado at Cumberland Lake Kentucky actually it was at Wolf Creek Dam right below the lake.
Also been in 2 at Barren Lake Kentucky one of them was major damage at one of the Marinas where some Houseboats flipped over.

chris3403

Jeffersonville, In

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/17 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dog will be 17 next month but at the time it belonged to my daughter-in-law and I was babysitting it for the weekend so I took it camping with me and the wife. Wife said take her fishing so I puts the dog in the boat and we fly down the lake, I throw out 2 anchors and put out 3 poles. Sit there 10 minutes without a bite so I reel in the 3 poles and pull up the 2 anchors and we go barreling down the lake to the next spot where I repeat the above. Sit there 10 minutes and pull it up and take off again to the next spot and repeat. Sit there 10 and race to the next spot. So this is now my 4th stop and the dog usually goes to bed at 9 and we are pushing 10 so I can tell the dog wants to go home, however just as I stop the boat for the 4th time the dog jumps up and races to the front of the boat does an abrupt U turn and goes flying past me and off the back of the boat before I figure out what she is doing. She hit that water and I never saw a dog turn around so fast in all of my life, her she came padding as fast as she could and the look on her face was like: help me, help me!

chris3403

Jeffersonville, In

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/17 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last one: Pulled in to Bar Harbor Maine for 3 nights and blew the convertor as I hooked up. Took me 3 days to make my mind up I needed to replace it so I ordered one and they said it would be there in 5 days. Somehow it got misplaced or lost and it didn't arrive until our 17th day there. Best 17 days of our life. Every other night I had 2 lobsters along with 2 pounds of Mussels and 2 ears of corn delivered to our campsite for $34.95 what a view we had!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> What's the BEST camping experience you ever had?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS