cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heading south around April 1 any advice.

Noccar
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading south from Anchorage around 4/1/2018 with the camper in tow. Are any of the campgrounds open that early? I am thinking I don't want to de-winterize the camper until I get back into the states, but I can still sleep in it. Any advice?
2015 Chevy 3500HD DRW
Cyclone 3210
10 REPLIES 10

Noccar
Explorer
Explorer
I would rather have the sloppy that this snow and Ice. Sloppy cleans up https://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/smile.gif. I can deal with the cold. Not planning to fill the water tanks until I get south far enough that is stay 25+ most of the time. I can deal with the inconvenience of no water in the tanks for a few days. I have dealt with busted pipes in an RV before ( not mine) so I do not want any chance of that. Coming back to Alaska late May so I should have any issues coming back.
2015 Chevy 3500HD DRW
Cyclone 3210

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Other's have covered the substantive stuff, but don't forget that you're likely to get a pretty dirty rig that time of year.

I'd speculate between Los Anchorage and Sheep Mountain, it will be warm and sloppy, then cold and clean (- ish) for quite a ways until somewhere in BC or Alberta (depending on route) where it will get sloppy again. Paved roads or not, melting slushy snow makes for a dirty rig.....as I'm sure you know living in ER lately.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Noccar
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. I have driven it in the summer but not end of winter. Much appreciate the advice.
2015 Chevy 3500HD DRW
Cyclone 3210

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
There are some parks open in southern BC, and a lot in WA and OR and south. The ones I am familiar with in AB open on or after May 1. You can often share the parking lots with the long haul trucks for an overnight.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
This post might get better responses in the โ€œAlaskaโ€ section, (Tried sending this to the Moderator, but these often get way-laid with an โ€œerrorโ€ msg., as this was.)
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP was asking about campground in Alaska/Canada being open - not Indiana/Illinois. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
I've headed south from Whitehorse about April 20th the past couple of years, and boondock as far as central BC or Alberta because nothing is open.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We typically arrive home to west central Illinois from the South about that time and are able to use our motor home all the way with most campgrounds open by then and sooner. However this would be less so much further north. Of course, we've spent many nights in our motor home well below freezing as long as we have elec. hook-up. Sometimes couldn't be hooked to water and the dump valves may freeze.
Jayco-noslide

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Indiana State Parks are open all year round, but water is traditionally turned back on in the campgrounds, dump stations, and bath houses on April 1. "Most" private campgrounds open April 1 also in Indiana.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some cities may have campgrounds open year round. Google your possible stopping places, and phone ahead.

Be sure to winterize the fridge.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.