Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Home Depot Allure vinyl floor
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Home Depot Allure vinyl floor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
wiredgeorge

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/17 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have been getting ready to pull the trigger on some Home Depot Allure flooring to replace old carpet. The flooring has stick-strips on the edge and looks very easy to install... BUT

When I went to one of the product pages and looked at customer questions, when asking if the Allure can be installed in an RV, a rep from Halstead Product (guess they are the manufacturers?) answers:

"Thank you for your question. No, because this is recommended for climate controlled ares with running heat and air year round between 65-85 degrees."

Has anyone who has installed Allure seen temp related issues? Since quite a few have installed this stuff, not sure why they are fussy about temps. One person opined in an "answer" about RV use that the cold could cause the tiles to become brittle and crack and the heat could cause the adhesive on the strips that join the tiles to let go... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F250/2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS
1980 GS1000G
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith trike

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/17 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wiredgeorge wrote:

Any help would be appreciated.

Sheet flooring intended for in home use isn't suitable for RV use as it can and most likely will crack when temps begin to really drop, especially below the freezing mark. Many RV manufacturers have responded to this problem in recent years by using sheet flooring manufactured by Congoleum, my own Coachmen Freedom Express being one. My suggestion would be to find out just which Congoleum product is used in so many RVs these days.

wiredgeorge

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/17 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Allure product isn't sheet linoleum but is 6x36 planks with adhesive edges which lock it together but it also floats otherwise.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/17 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a number of threads on this subject
The concenus is if you are going to store it in a cold climate
Use a laminate flooring, not vinyl, use something that locks together
Not glued together
Large variety of style from exotic woods Red oak, bamboo etc.. To tile

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/17 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of these products are not going to be recommended or warranted when used in an RV. I used HD 12x12 self stick tile 3 years ago and it looks the same as when installed though I'm not in temperature extremes. I looked at the sticky edge and the snap together planks but thought the individually replaceable tiles would be better for us. I have damaged a couple so all I will have to do is peel them up and replace.

* This post was edited 12/18/17 11:24am by azrving *

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/17 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wiredgeorge wrote:

The Allure product isn't sheet linoleum but is 6x36 planks with adhesive edges which lock it together but it also floats otherwise.

And not recommended for use in RVs that see a large swing in temperatures ... Congoleum sheet flooring used by many RV manufacturers is. [emoticon]

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/17 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had done the research on the Allure flooring and decided to heed the manufacturer's warning about not installing in an RV. I put Pergo down instead. It snaps together but does not have the adhesive. It has held up very nicely over the past couple of years. I'm in NJ so it probably gets over 100 degrees in there in the Summer and well below 0 in the Winter. I have a bunch of extra so when I damage a piece it just comes apart like a jigsaw puzzle.

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

wiredgeorge

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/17 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used laminate snap together flooring but Allure looks to be so much more simple to install, thought I would like to hear from someone who actually has to find out how temps have actually affected it. I did read what the manufacturer said but wanted first hand perspective.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/17 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard the glue may fail nearfloor registers when the heat runs.

EVP (vinyl plank) would probably be a better solution.

It snaps together and is moisture resistant.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/17 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We redid our class A with Allure flooring, and had no problems. Just do not glue or staple it, as it needs to expand and contract some with the weather.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 dog(?)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Home Depot Allure vinyl floor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS