cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco class c

johnnybob
Explorer
Explorer
we are preparing to purchase our first rv. we are leaning heavily toward Jayco, for 2 reasons, first of all, it's the only rv we could find with a 2 year warranty.. also, they have the exact size, weight, and layout, that we want. BUT, I am a senior citizen and I am NOT mechanically inclined, so we want something with good reliability. any help, comments, suggestions, out there, we would appreciate it..

John Williams

john_twilliams@live.com
21 REPLIES 21

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
General advice for elderly RV'ers: Most brands and models of new RV's have a few defects to be fixed by the Dealer's service department as authorized by the Manufacturer. This can take time and delay first use. Try to find out the Dealer's reputation for after sale fixes. Don't buy until you have all promises about fixes and upgrades, etc. written into the purchase order. Buy a popular name brand. Depending on your physical abilities, you may have to have maintenance and repairs done for you, regardless of brand, etc. Includes maintenance of house batteries, basic oil and filter changes, brakes, alignment, and many other troubleshooting and repair activities over time.
Make sure that you select a length and floor plan, including rear bedroom vs overhead or convertible couch sleeping, etc. that suites your needs and desires. Take your time learning what's available and total costs of ownership and usage

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I cant remember, but I think the redhawk is the midline could be wrong as there is a greyhawk model. Melbourne is the top line C' for jayco. Wife like the jacko line we have a winnebago we got used. Anyhow if the redhawk is the midline model it should be an ok unit. Remember if the other 1/2 is not happy you wont be happy but buyers remorse is real, sometimes it works out ok. Before we bought ours I said no due to $$, found same model same year for $30K less used with 4000 miles on it! So it just all depends on really what you want. New is always nice but cheaper is often better if possible. My area in the rig is the driver compartment and outside storage, hers is the coach area, she does not drive it. There are things I wanted but not found on many, what many think is neat I dont, swivel seats being 1. She is not happy with the horseshoe dinette so that is something we plan to change. So unless you get past the 48 hrs agreement, take it have fun be sure to use and find out anything that wrong so it can be fixed in a timely manner by the dealer.

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
If Jayco's are so bad, then does that make Thor, Forest River, & Fleetwood Class C's the cream of the crop? Bagman.
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

Geobiker
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Jayco Class C Granite Ridge (2004) and love it. We NEVER had problems getting things done under warranty, and yes, Jayco had a 2 year warranty in 2004. We bought ours when Jayco was a family owned and run business with largely Amish employees. Jayco was sold a few years ago so I can't speak to the quality of the RVs being made now nor to service concerns. Just do your research. By the way, if you want specific feedback on the specific Jayco you are considering, don't hesitate to post those specifics and ask if anyone on this forum owns the same vehicle and what their opinion is. Good luck.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
memtb wrote:
They’ve recently been bought-out by Lippert... and if they “follow the trend” quality has/will suffer.!

Jayco was bought by Thor.

In the fascinating twisted world of Jayco, Australian Jayco still owned by Gerry Ryan , offers I think a 5 year warranty.
US Jayco was acquired by Thor. Australian Jayco still owned by the Ryan family.
Another interesting dowunder twist is Thor was started by a Gent from.New Zealand.

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
We have had two of our three RV's Jayco's. Very pleased, I don't agree that they are entry-level units. Our experience with Jayco both for warranty and overall build has been very good.

We currently have a Class C 2003 Jayco Greyhawk, of course on the Ford 450. They have been around a long time, have a great selection and a good following.

We prefer the motorhome over a trailer at this point, as we do a lot of traveling, stop and go and site seeing. And a class C is great for that, easy to stop anywhere and have what you need, stay a quick night and move on. It is also nice that we can flat tow our jeep, or our ATV's for weekend fun.

At some point we will move onto the fifth wheel set up, but not until our highway miles and traveling are a bit over.
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a few issues with my Jayco Greyhawk. The service department was excellent in helping to get those issues fixed. I don’t live near a Jayco dealer who sells motorhomes ( the nearest dealer only sells a few motorhomes but sells many Jayco trailers) and Jayco was good about letter someone else do warranty work.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH
Wherever you go, there you are!!

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our Jayco Greyhawk going on 12 years now - - and we still LOVE it! We had a couple of issues (Slide out and roof) that were fixed by Jayco after the 2 year warranty had expired. The service tech explained that it was Jayco's policy to fix issues that were determined to be due to faulty manufacturing regardless of when the fix took place. In our case, the slideout problem had existed from the beginning and had been documented, but the roof issue was actually discovered when the coach was at the factory for the slideout repair. We had to make another appointment to get the roof fixed - - turned out that both the roof and the left sidewall were replaced at a considerable cost to Jayco - - we didn't pay a cent! This happened 8 years ago. I hope that they still stand behind their products like they did with ours. I think that they are a great company!
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
The J-Ride and the Plus aren't anything special. Anybody can add most of that to any RV. What IS special is that Jayco stepped up and offered it. Made it standard. It's really how Ford should be shipping its new Class C chassis. Congratulations to Jayco for doing right.

I would agree. Bilsteins are a must in my opinion, and they can be a hassle to install, especially the front ones on a C. Full dynamic balance on all three sections of the driveshaft as one unit they do, but is rare on other rigs. Putting Hellwigs on is no fun either, or the track bars. I do feel the Hellwigs really need to be there considering a lot of folks run at near or over gross. The ride is just beautiful on my 2017. Most of my issues we're small. Foam in dinette to soft, so I got replacement foam. Ladder hurts feet; replaced that. But a great rig overall.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
The J-Ride and the Plus aren't anything special. Anybody can add most of that to any RV. What IS special is that Jayco stepped up and offered it. Made it standard. It's really how Ford should be shipping its new Class C chassis. Congratulations to Jayco for doing right.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Yockeybk
Explorer
Explorer
Downsized from a TIffin Class A back down to a Class C. Drove the 2017 Greyhawk 29MV with the Jayco ride plus and was sold. One of the best driving motorhomes I've ever driven. Thought the "ride plus" was a gimmick until I drove it. Had to make an emergency lane change going through Nashville and that drive plus saved me from an nasty accident. For older RV'ers it is a pleasure to drive and has auto leveling jacks to boot. Had an issue with the rooftop Coleman a/c while on the road and Jayco covered it no questions asked. The factory rep was very helpful on the phone and went out of his way to find a service center close by since I was in the boonies of northern Michigan. While the quality of the interior isn't the highest it is also less expensive to fix. Our Tiffin was plush but just buying a replacement windshield wiper was an expensive and timely exercise. The nice thing about the Jayco is most parts can be purchased at any auto parts store or the nearest CW. We have a lifetime warranty provided by the RV dealer provided we bring it in once each year for annual service which is well worth it. This is our first Jayco and so far we have been very pleased. Our first RV was a THOR class C and our second was a TIffin Class A and had multiple problems with both of those. So far, the Jayco beats them both in terms of reliability and ease of maintenance.

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased a 2017 Jayco Redhawk in June2017 Class C after having a Fleetwood Tioga for 11yrs. 4000 mile so far and no warranty issues so far. One issue with medicine cabinet that I fixed myself. The Redhawk is their entry level MH.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Three of our four RVs we own/owned are/were Jaycos. We bought a 2009 Greyhawk 31FS in 2009 new. We loved the Greyhawk. When our camping needs changed, we had no reservations staying with Jayco. We purchased a 2017 Jayflight Bungalow TT new back in May for our Seasonal Camping. In terms of quality, there really wasn't any noticeable difference. I was disappointed that Jayco used a WFCO converter/charger in the TT while our Greyhawk had a 3 Stage IOTA converter/charger.

Our only complaint was cleanup. In building the TT, the factory left so many little aluminum squigglies from drilling into the frame. We found them every where. We would pick them up every time we ran into them. We vacuumed frequently, but still four months later, when we were closing it up for the season, we were still finding them. I'm sure when we open it back up for the season, we will find more. I don't ever remember finding any in the Greyhawk.

I'm not sure I would worry too much about Thor purchasing Jayco. Keep in mind that Thor also owns Airstream and has for some time. Thor has insisted since announcing the buyout of Jayco that they had no intention of making changes with the Brand.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
memtb wrote:
They’ve recently been bought-out by Lippert... and if they “follow the trend” quality has/will suffer.!

Jayco was bought by Thor.

Thanks.... I should’ve had my second cup, before posting! :S
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl