cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mercedes Sprinter to be discontinued

Andyboy1
Explorer
Explorer
After months of doing research and then some more research we had though we'd buy a Winnebago Fuse. But after driving both the Fuse and View we realized that though a bit bigger and slightly less maneuverable the View really suited our needs better. So we do the math, find a dealer we think we can work with, get the pricing down and we're ready to order. Then I see the news item that MB will no longer make the diesel Sprinter for the North American market due to the unavailability of B5 diesel and the issues with their engine and B20 and higher diesel. MB is very clear that anything other than B5 diesel voids the engine warranty.

And yet I've seen very few recent complaints about the MB engines compared to earlier where there were loads of complaints due to engine fouling and the coach going into the dreaded 'crawl' mode. I stopped at the Shell station up the street and their diesel pump doesn't even say what type of blend they have...only that it's low sulfur.

So, what's an eager buyer to do? Have you had issues with your 2016-1017 Sprinter engine? How do you know what type of diesel you're getting.

Apparently this isn't an issue in the Fuse (Ford) diesel engine but I sooooo wanted the larger View.

Thanks
25 REPLIES 25

Gabby_Hayes
Explorer
Explorer
The MB Biodiesel Brochure online at MBUSA.COM is a bit confusing as to what ULSD (ULTRA LOW SULPHER DIESEL) fuel is acceptable because of the fuel pump labels that are shown in the brochure.

The brochure states that ULSD B-5 (fuel with 5% or less biodiesel) that meets ASTM D975 is OK to burn in MB diesel engines. USLD B20 (fuel with 5% up to 20% biodiesel) that meets ASTM D7467 is not acceptable. Of course B100 fuel, which is 100% biodiesel and meets ATSM D6751 is not an acceptable fuel either.

Perhaps it's just me, but the green ULSD pump label shown in the brochure is confusing because that label does not say it meets ASTM D975 - just that it is ULSD fuel. There are other labels shown for B-20 Biodiesel, B20 Biomass, B100 Biodiesel and B100 Biomass fuel pump stickers.

Is it safe to assume that the green ULSD label ALWAYS indicates B5 or less?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Andyboy1 wrote:
Well...my thoughts are not quite unfounded but I certainly have found out alot about diesel and the Sprinter engine. The first thing is to never buy unbranded diesel. Second, diesel formulations can be different from state to state mostly based on the time of the year. During the winter it seems the major brands are selling #2 diesel which is fine as long as it's 15 ppm sulfur and not 500 ppm. Later in the year as the temps warm up there are a few states that require the #2 to be B5 or B20. I know this happens in Wisconsin and Minnesota while it seems that in New York and Michigan #2 diesel is sold year round. Federal regs require diesel pumps to be clearly labeled so we don't have to guess. My service station checks so far have shown only 25% of the pumps are properly labeled. #2 diesel and B5 don't seem to cause a problem. B20 on the other hand may.

For those who have never had a problem, that's great.

Sorry, a lot of this is MIS-information.

All on-highway diesel in the U.S. and Canada is 15 PPM sulfur and has been for close to a decade.

And, most pumps do NOT state bio content-- they state UP TO XX bio-diesel content. Just like ethanol-- neither pump labels nor clerks in the stations really know.

Branded/unbranded-- come from the same refineries. Just like batteries, a very few sources and quite a number of retailers.

Being from S Texas, can't comment on bio content winter vs summer.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Andyboy1
Explorer
Explorer
Well...my thoughts are not quite unfounded but I certainly have found out alot about diesel and the Sprinter engine. The first thing is to never buy unbranded diesel. Second, diesel formulations can be different from state to state mostly based on the time of the year. During the winter it seems the major brands are selling #2 diesel which is fine as long as it's 15 ppm sulfur and not 500 ppm. Later in the year as the temps warm up there are a few states that require the #2 to be B5 or B20. I know this happens in Wisconsin and Minnesota while it seems that in New York and Michigan #2 diesel is sold year round. Federal regs require diesel pumps to be clearly labeled so we don't have to guess. My service station checks so far have shown only 25% of the pumps are properly labeled. #2 diesel and B5 don't seem to cause a problem. B20 on the other hand may.

For those who have never had a problem, that's great.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
If a station has diesel I stop. I could care less about any grades or additives for my '08, V6. Truth be known I could run filtered grease trap stuff in there.
I will admit that I will never buy another Mercedes camper but for a different reason. Reason being is distance between service centers. Mercedes is interested only in selling and servicing Vans and cars.
Take your class C in there and most will refer you to another dealer.
If my engine ever blows it will be replaced with a Cummings in line 6 diesel or a Ford 7.3 diesel along with the proper on board computer.
I'm 75 miles from a dealer that will service my class C.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
ctilsie242 wrote:
If I were buying a Sprinter based motorhome, I would definitely have second thoughts now, especially with regards to parts availability.

If you read a little bit more about the sprinter diesel being discontinued, you will find your concerns unfounded.

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
If I were buying a Sprinter based motorhome, I would definitely have second thoughts now, especially with regards to parts availability.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
Mercedes is adding an Electric sprinter to the lineup for 2018. Mostly for the delivery van lineup which is kind of the big market for that size of van. Range speculation is 200 -300 km. Not Motorhome range but they are putting a lot of money into the R and D.

Not that I know of. More speculation I think

A 2750lb payload and a 68 mile range

Yah I've seen a few different numbers on the Range. I would think city delivery would be the market for these. SMall batts and keep em cheep. Easier to add a bigger battery for longer range but the market has to be there for the price point.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
Mercedes is adding an Electric sprinter to the lineup for 2018. Mostly for the delivery van lineup which is kind of the big market for that size of van. Range speculation is 200 -300 km. Not Motorhome range but they are putting a lot of money into the R and D.

A 2750lb payload and a 68 mile range

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:

Andyboy1
Explorer
Explorer
The U.S. Department of Energy has an informative document that explains the different diesel blends here
https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/biodiesel_blends.html

This helped me understand the diesel issues a little better but this afternoon we traveled 150 miles from downstate NY to upstate. Along the way we checked out 4 diesel pumps at service stations on the main routes. At a Shell station the pump simply said “Ultra low sulfur diesel” so it’s risky but I would presume it was either B5 or straight diesel. The next stop was at a fuel stop on the NYS Thruway. The Sunnoco pump here was the best I’ve seen so far. Straight and simple “ #2 Diesel”. Next we stopped at a Speedway (formerly Hess) and their pump only said ‘Cetane 40’. The last stop of the day was as a Mobile station that had a diesel pump set off to the side with no branding information. Interestingly there were two nozzles on the pump. One was labeled ‘diesel cars’ and the other ‘diesel trucks’ and inbtween these signs was a smaller one that said ‘ultra low sulfur’.

It’s been good to read the posts where people have driven thousands to tens of thousands of miles with no issues. It hasn’t been so good to have no statement yet from Winnebago or a reaffirmation from MB. It also seems that most of the issues with the Sprinter engine/emissions issues are problems from previous years but that’s just an assumption based on reading posted owner comments. Still looking for your experiences and comments and hopefully this will lead to a better understanding for anyone who cares.

Andyboy1
Explorer
Explorer
If the Bloomberg news is correct that would be great news but I'd certainly like to see confirmation from MB. However, there is still the problem pulling up to the diesel pump and not knowing if you are getting #2 diesel, B5 diesel or B20 diesel. Diesel pumps are not labeled like gasoline pumps which state the amount of ethanol that is in the gas. It seems to be the quality of the diesel that is causing the issues for the diesel Sprinter engines. I think this labeling issue is a large part of the problem.

Ed_Gee wrote:
Andyboy1 wrote:
Do you have a link to the Bloomberg piece?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-10/with-mercedes-exit-u-s-diesel-car-market-shrinks-even-more

Read down toward the end....., “ Daimler will continue to use diesel engines in its Sprinter commercial vehicles. “

Also read a similar comment on a Reuters piece stating that Daimler did receive US authorization to market their Sprinter Diesels.

It’s only the Mercedes Benz cars that they are putting a hold on.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Andyboy1 wrote:
ghiotom wrote:
Do you have a source? I can't find anything about the Sprinter being discontinued. Didn't they build a new plant in South Carolina last year to build them here in the States?

Sorry, it's not the Sprinter that's being discontinued it's the diesel Sprinter.

Here's the link:

http://driving.ca/mercedes-benz/auto-news/news/mercedes-says-goodbye-to-diesel-in-north-america

The problem with this news item is that people are confusing the Mercedes Benz automobile line with the Sprinter that has a Mercedes Benz engine in it. Daimler is not discontinuing the diesel powered Sprinter.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The VW diesel thing had a severe impact on other companies investments into future diesel emissions research.
Probably just more fallout.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Andyboy1 wrote:
Do you have a link to the Bloomberg piece?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-10/with-mercedes-exit-u-s-diesel-car-market-shrinks-even-more

Read down toward the end....., “ Daimler will continue to use diesel engines in its Sprinter commercial vehicles. “

Also read a similar comment on a Reuters piece stating that Daimler did receive US authorization to market their Sprinter Diesels.

It’s only the Mercedes Benz cars that they are putting a hold on.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad