cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a 4cyl Equinox 4 down

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, GM finally got around to acknowledging there may be a problem with towing their Equinox and Terrain vehicles four down. In the past, all one had to do was put her in neutral and pull the #32 fuse or switch the fuse whichever was easiest to do. I elected to switch that fuse. Because of the 'death wobble' experienced by many pulling these vehicles, including yours truly, GM now has modified the towing instructions. This modification applies only to those vehicles with the electronic steering. The 6 cyl vehicles have hydraulic steering.

Towing Procedure
To tow the vehicle from the front with all four wheels on the ground:
Important: If the vehicle is towed without performing each of the steps listed under โ€œDinghy Towing,โ€ the automatic transmission could be damaged. Be sure to follow all steps of the dinghy towing procedure prior to and after towing the vehicle.
Important: If 105?km/h (65?mph) is exceeded while towing the vehicle, it could be damaged. Never exceed 105?km/h (65?mph) while towing the vehicle.
Note: It is no longer required to remove fuse 32.
1. Position the vehicle to be towed and secure it to the towing vehicle.
2. Remove fuse 16, the Antilock Brake System Module fuse, from the engine compartment fuse block and store it in a safe location.
3. Turn the ignition key to ON/RUN, and shift the transmission to D (Drive). Note: disregard โ€œService Steeringโ€ message on IP cluster display.
4. Shift the transmission to N (Neutral).
5. Turn the ignition key to ACC/ACCESSORY.
6. Turn all accessories off.
To prevent the battery from draining while the vehicle is being towed, connect vehicle battery to auxiliary power.

I purchased a simple battery charger from RVI Industries for $50 and hooked it up this afternoon. I will explore how I'm going to hook up a switch so I don't have to physically remove fuse 16 in the future. Once I've done that and I've towed a few thousand miles, I'll post the results. Once I've finished the install tomorrow, I'll post some pictures. The towing plug installed by Monaco contains the necessary 12VDC pin so that helped.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG
43 REPLIES 43

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the answers everyone. Just my luck to need to use a dolly.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry the owners manual says it cannot be towed 4 down either model. The FWD model can be dolly towed only.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
==========

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Horizon170 wrote:
Interesting Subject. I have a chance to buy a 2005 Equinox, Gasoline, Front wheel drive.
Is this one easily towed? Who sells tow bars for it?
Thanks,
Marvin

My information shows the 05 Equinox is NOT towable. If possible check the owner's manual, (if it's there). Look under recreational towing. Motorhome magazine shows only the Cavalier, Malibu and Cobalt are towables for 2005.....Dennis

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting Subject. I have a chance to buy a 2005 Equinox, Gasoline, Front wheel drive.
Is this one easily towed? Who sells tow bars for it?
Thanks,
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
See my response on your post. Check your fuses....Dennis

jheppner
Explorer
Explorer
RRB456 wrote:
Just bought an Equinox 2018 Premier, to use for flat towing. Based on the dealer and the manual this can be flat towed. They say it is FWD, and I have a button to push for AWD. I brought to camping world to have set up for towing, and they say this vehicle cannot be flat towed. So now I am waiting to speak with the dealer. Has anyone encounter this issue with this specific car ? It is a great car and would be a nice car to have with you..

We just set up a 2018 Equinox Premier FWD for towing. It is a 1.5 ltr and has no button indicating AWD. It tows like a dream but after towing it for the first time, we now have an issue with our signal lights blinking at double-time when the car is unhooked from the motorhome. They work normally when hooked to the motorhome. The technician at our GM dealership cannot explain this problem and has no solution, so far.

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer
This has been interesting. While getting service on my Malibu, I was talking to a salesman about which Equinox was towable. He got a 2019 owners manual. It seems to say pretty much all combinations for 19 are towable 4 down. AWD and FWD. I thought the 6 speed was needed. The manual doesn't say this. I do believe the diesel only comes with the six speed.

Mark

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
mema/poppop wrote:
RRB456

Just bought a 2018 equinox premier, 1.5 engine. Called corporation to see if flat towable. They say yes, so I am a bit puzzled why you were told it was not. Was it a 2.0 engine?

That's because your 1.5L is FWD, not AWD. In FWD both the 1.5L gas and the 1.6L Diesel are 4Down towable. In AWD only the 1.6L Diesel is 4Down towable.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You for coming back with some results.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

RRB456
Explorer
Explorer
We returned our 2018 Chec Equinox 1.5L AWD and got a Diesel AWD. It was set up for towing and we towed it home without problems. Will report back after we do a longer towing trip.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey, swapped a gasser for a diesel at no extra cost. Sounds like a sweet deal to me...:W....Dennis

mema_poppop
Explorer
Explorer
RRB456

Just bought a 2018 equinox premier, 1.5 engine. Called corporation to see if flat towable. They say yes, so I am a bit puzzled why you were told it was not. Was it a 2.0 engine?

RRB456
Explorer
Explorer
Well we brought back the 2018 Equinox to the dealer, and they agreed that it cannot be flat towed. So the found a diesel for me and camping world agrees that this can be flat towed. Picking it uo today, then off to camping world tomorrow to get set up fpr towing. Will report back how everything works out.