cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mr. Heater Big Buddy Indoor/Outdoor Propane Heater

Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a used 2002 Coleman Niagara Elite pop up. Looks like new. It had most all options I would ever want. I never paid attention to the gas furnace, that were not a part of the options. Anyone out there tried the Mr. Heater Big Buddy Indoor/Outdoor Propane Heater — 18,000 BTU in a pop up and that did not worry about CO2 death?
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.
17 REPLIES 17

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Fireman286 wrote:
I bought one years ago to take my kids hunting. While I’ll still carry it on cold days it would be a pain to carry for 8 miles since you would need to carry extra propane bottles with you, unless you can leave it and just bring the extra propane.

I would leave it back there. Initial hike in big tent broken down to two backpacks, next hike in cooking gear, third trip buddy heaters, and water, 4th hike in basic 3 day backpacking gear and the bows.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one years ago to take my kids hunting. While I’ll still carry it on cold days it would be a pain to carry for 8 miles since you would need to carry extra propane bottles with you, unless you can leave it and just bring the extra propane.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone ever backpack in buddy heaters? I'm looking to go further off grid 8 miles to deer hunt. I don't use the pup for too much anymore.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

toddnks
Explorer
Explorer
We have a big buddy in our deer stand and a first gen buddy heater that we use in our pop-up. I have never worried about CO2 or low oxygen from them since they have the ODS and I have a CO2 alarm. Most people probably worry more than I do though.
The Kings

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Big Buddy Heater and really like it for the tents in the fall.

I like that it has a built in fan that can be used with batteries or an AC adapter.

The heater itself is pretty safe. It has tip over protection and a low O2 shutoff.

Since this is a ventless propane heater, you must leave a window open in your camper since it burns the oxygen inside the camper. If there's inadequate oxygen, incomplete combustion happens, and we know what that produces, Carbon Monoxide (CO). So it's 2 fold, depletes the oxygen out of the air and then produces CO from the incomplete combustion resulting from the depletion of oxygen.

So always leave a window open and always use a CO Alarm, which is mandatory in RVs anyway. You'll also want to have a propane gas detector/alarm which are also mandatory in RVs.

Also, do not have the heater by any bedding, loose clothes, drapes, or loose tenting. Here's the manual and the website for it.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
THEY HAVE AN OPEN FLAME!

Not only is the pilot light an open flame, its an open flame on the element as well.

We use these heaters for deer stands and ice fishing. Cant be beat.

But I would never...ever use them in a trailer of which I sleep in.

I'd consider using one to break the cold to help out the furnace, but I use a small ceramic space heater for that purpose.

Why, that's what they are designed for. They are designed to be used in tents and trailers.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
THEY HAVE AN OPEN FLAME!

Not only is the pilot light an open flame, its an open flame on the element as well.

We use these heaters for deer stands and ice fishing. Cant be beat.

But I would never...ever use them in a trailer of which I sleep in.

I'd consider using one to break the cold to help out the furnace, but I use a small ceramic space heater for that purpose.

Jeff10236
Explorer
Explorer
I have one, but I've never used it in my pop up. I usually camp at a spot with an electric hookup and just use a ceramic heater which works nicely to heat the popup. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Mr. Heater Buddy heater in my popup when awake. Like others have said, I'd be hesitant to use it when sleeping. Anything with an open flame that puts out carbon monoxide (minuscule amounts but still) and burns oxygen is probably best used when you are fully awake.
Tow Vehicles: 2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 (sold)
Other vehicles: 2019 Hyundai Sonata Sport, 2021 Hyundai Ioniq EV (a hatchback so great for tent camping, but needs an electric hook up to charge the car)
Camper: 2003 Starcraft 2406 (sold)
Several tents

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
There are three heaters in the Buddy line. Little Buddy, Buddy, and Big Buddy. The Big Buddy used to have a quick connect port for a hose that could be connected to the low pressure side of the propane feed. This would allow you to plumb in a hose inside the RV from the cook-top, furnace, water heater, or fridge. I don't see that mentioned for their current model.

I have the Buddy that I use in my 24ft motorhome and it works well. I removed the built-in regulator and attached a hose that is plumbed into the line that feeds my cook-top.

I would think that the Buddy would be large enough for your needs. If you do not want to remove the built in regulator there are hoses available to connect direct to a propane tank.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of the smaller single disposable tank heater buddies which has served me well over the years. It is the older design with the non-swiveling tank mount. Though these are relatively safe, I would not sleep in a confined space with one running. One issue that does come up on mine when running in a cooler environment is freeze up on the small disposable 1 pound tanks, if ran on high in a cold (near freezing temperature) space the tanks will tend to freeze up and the heater stop working when they are still 1/4 - 1/3 full, I don't know if this is an issue with the dual disposable tank models. Tanks left connected will also tend to drain down over long periods of time (weeks or months)

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
We use a ceramic (electric) heater in our TT and I usually have to turn the thermostat down as it gets to darn hot.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
We used a pair of buddy heaters to heat our travel trailer while dry camping in a state park. They worked great, but I did find myself double checking the CO detectors.
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
On high mine will heat my big 5er from 60 to 70 in about 5 minutes. But I still prefer the furnace. Quieter and more even heat. And Mr Heaters really go through those cylinders fast on high.

I'm in a dry climate so I didn't notice any moisture.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They create a lot of moisture unless your someplace really dry. Also, while they are pretty safe I would not sleep in a small area with one running.