Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Can I really do this?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Can I really do this?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doable ? yes, much more so with some considerations you mentioned being changed.
1. If you are not mechanically inclined, and looking to do your own maintenance and repairs, buy a truck and trailer, and get the newest truck you feel comfortable buying. Due to size and configuration Motorhomes are more expensive and difficult to find shops for than a standard 3/4 or one ton pickup. A 25-30 foot TT or a small 5er will be less expensive, both to buy and operate in the long term, when the need for a toad with a motorhome is considered.
2. Forget Florida unless you have family there to stay with or another reason. The cost of wintering out west will be much lower.
3. Look into dispersed camping at least half the time, If you are comfortable alone, you may appreciate the quiet, and the solitude, as well as free parking for weeks at a time.
4. Domicile. Look at your options for domicile, select a state that allows you the lowest cost and best flexibility in insurance and liscensing and other needs.
5. If you want to always have full hookups and dispersed camping isnt for you, look for workamping oppurtunities to supplement your income. From a month or two at Amazon to gate guard or hosting services, free sites and a regular paycheck are all possible,

You can do it, many have and still are, but there will be changes in how you do things, and a steep learning curve until you find how you want to do it.
Happy motorin

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Canada does pay for medical in truth? just more in taxes? is that right...nothing is free in life LOL just curious what ya posted FullTime

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at www.rv-dreams.com you'll find answers to your questions in the blog posts and forum. This is a website created by a couple who began fulltime RV'ing nearly 12 years ago.

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

great info on this thread for everyone! Just keep the personal experiences out of what you read to a certain level...do for you and your situation only and take known advice on what ifs as security and knowledge as posted, but what is just too personal to you and what happens in other's life--it will never equal yours.

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/17 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, I thought you changed your mind?

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go with a travel trailer and tow vehicle and they are paid off $2,000 per month is plenty. If you buy a used motor home it's a little riskier because of the potential repairs on an older motor home. You can keep your park rental around $600 per month if you are careful. Food, health insurance, vehicle insurance, gas, phone, miscellaneous might run around $1000 per month. You're done with room to spare.

tinstartrvlr

Currently AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/17 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Search the web for solo full time rv'rs; there are tons of blogs out there written by people who are doing just what you want to do, and very inexpensively. They offer a lot of advice and resources in their blogs.

FULLTIMEWANABE

De Winton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/17 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a thought for the OP. Here's one solo gal that's still working but ....... You might enjoy some of her content: http://www.carolynsrvlife.com.

It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

rollindowntheroad

Schenectady, NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/17 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you to all that replied! I really appreciate everyone's advise. It looks as though full timing in a MH isn't going to work for me financially. Will research getting a truck and either a TT or 5'er. Maybe that won't be doable either, but at least I am finding out the information before I get into it.

Once again, Thank you!

* This post was edited 12/14/17 09:16am by rollindowntheroad *

John&Joey

Summer-North,Winter-South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/17 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rollindowntheroad wrote:

Here are my questions:
1) Is it bad for a motor home to sit for a month or two? I have considered buying a park model home but I want the option to move around..

Not at all. Best to run them every month or two.

rollindowntheroad wrote:

2) Is living full time in a motor home doable on $2,000.00 a month? Please remember I am alone, no other person or pets to consider. I don't have a lavish lifestyle, don't eat out very often, stay pretty much at home now. I don't want to get into it only to discover in a year or so I can't afford it.

IMHO, barely. As future prices go up and your rig gets older you'll find yourself in a bad spot.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Can I really do this?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS