cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I really do this?

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello to all! I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question(s) or not, so forgive me if not in the correct category.

I will be retiring in 3 years. I have been researching full timing in an RV for about a year now. I really like the idea of having the capability of being able to move around. I am thinking that I won't "travel" that much but rather find a location and stay a month or two then go to the next location. Will definitely follow the warmth and be in Florida for winters. I just can't decide in what or if I can really afford to do it.

I am leaning toward a used class a gas motor home, in the 35' range. My current vehicle is towable on a dolly. I really don't want to buy a big truck to pull something. I am by myself. Here is some other info on me:

1) Plan on being debt free at retirement. This includes having either a toad or tow vehicle paid off by then.
2) Looking at spending $35,000 to $50,000 on what ever I decide to get. Will pay cash.
3) Will have approximately $2,000.00 a month for social security coming in.
4) Will have approximately an additional $25,000.00 in savings after purchasing the RV.
5) I am NOT handy repairing anything mechanical ie; engines.

Here are my questions:
1) Is it bad for a motor home to sit for a month or two? I have considered buying a park model home but I want the option to move around.

2) Is living full time in a motor home doable on $2,000.00 a month? Please remember I am alone, no other person or pets to consider. I don't have a lavish lifestyle, don't eat out very often, stay pretty much at home now. I don't want to get into it only to discover in a year or so I can't afford it.

Thank you for all your expertise advise in advance.
27 REPLIES 27

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
rollindowntheroad wrote:
Thank you to all that replied! I really appreciate everyone's advise. It looks as though full timing in a MH isn't going to work for me financially. Will research getting a truck and either a TT or 5'er. Maybe that won't be doable either,

Why would a TT not be doable?
2,5K a month is a lot of money, people in the US and Canada often retire on less than 2K. Sorry for being cranky.

Monthly rates are lower than if you had paid one week 4 times. Annual lease is cheaper yet, and you won't have to look for a space every time. Traveling around is expensive, many of those who full-time or winter, stay in one place.

Annual lease in some places of Southwest - don't know about FL - start from under 3K, this is $200-250/month. You could find cheaper if you don't have to be near water. Check AZ Camps. Would make sense to take time and efforts and install 600-700W solar (less than 1K in parts). There might be retireded ๐Ÿ˜‰ neighbors in some off-grid places who don't know about inverters and run a genny to charge a cell phone or watch TV, but still you'll have more freedom with solar, even if the place is a full hook-up. Some campsites charge top $$$ for their power grid.

26-28ft TT go from 14-15K new. You'll save 30-40K compared to MH, this together with your planned 25K leftover will make 60K after TT - you could spend extra $300/month for 20 years (assuming interest with laddered GIC), or cover sudden big expenses. Don't want to tell you how to arrange your finance, different people have different needs and habits.

5-er costs more, and also needs more powerful truck (= more expensive to keep and run), unless you already have a big truck in a good shape.
For 2 people I would get a 5-er as big as I could handle, with at least one slide, better - with 2 slides. A second person can make a place feel surprisingly small.

For a single guy a 26ft TT would do, better if it has a slide, but not absolutely necessary.

PS: I agree with many other people here, it's not wise spending most of savings on MH. Get a TT.
TT should be at least 26ft. The difference btw 22ft TT and 26ft is the coach - 22ft one usually don't have any (unless it's a sofa-bed that you have to do-undo every time), and dinette benches are VERY uncomfortable to sit on. I threw one bench out and put a normal residential chair. You'll appreciate having a couch that is "independent" from a bed.

They don't count 3.5ft hitch, so 26ft TT is mere 22ft long inside, total 170 sq.ft including bathroom and kitchen. OK for one person, if you spend most time outdoors.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Given your finances, I would not get any kind of motorized RV. One breakdown and you are in financial trouble. I would get a truck and a small trailer. I know the space is far from what you would get in a motorized RV, but your finances are not good. I wold also recommend you look at work camping so you can have your site paid for.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Read some of this blogger's entries on finances. She full-times for under $20,000.

However, she has a small trailer and she works occasionally at Amazon, national parks and others.

Don't give up just yet. Keep investigating options!

http://www.interstellarorchard.com/resources/

OP will be 65 when he retires and will pay about $134/month (2018 amount) for MediCare. If OP opts for a Medicare Supplement (a real good idea), then that's another $150 or so monthly expense.

Interstellar Orchard Becky is 32 years old and is currently (2017) paying $18/month for an ACA health plan.

OP, I would not listen to non-full timers. They don't know what they're talking about. However, when you get advice from a full timer, make sure to ask about their health insurance. Medicare? Military? Buying their own? None? Health insurance can be one of your biggest full time expenses.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that for one person a TT would be a lot cheaper. How can you retire with only 25k in reserve? Be careful or RV living for you may be permanent.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Read some of this blogger's entries on finances. She full-times for under $20,000.

However, she has a small trailer and she works occasionally at Amazon, national parks and others.

Don't give up just yet. Keep investigating options!

http://www.interstellarorchard.com/resources/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that a travel trailer or 5th wheel would give you more band for your buck. Motorhomes are very expensive to maintain. Just think how big those tires are and how much more they cost than say 15" trailer tires.Trailers don't take a lot of maintenance and it's no problem to let them sit for months. You could get a really good used TT for under $20,000 or less. As for $2,000 a month to live on, that is doable. Get the America the Beautiful pass. It gets you into any National Park or Historic Park for free and camping in any federal campground is half price.We stayed in Yellowstone and Cape Hatteras national Park for $13 a night.You get the same discount at Forest Service and Army Corps of Engineer Campgrounds.There are some publications about free and low cost campgrounds.If you don't move around a lot,fuel won't be that big a deal as long as prices stay low.So if you're frugal and use low cost campgrounds, you could probably get by for $400 a month or so for camping fees. If you eat in most of the time you could probably live on $100 week or less. But you need to be able to save some money for truck maintenance and repairs.You have 3 years to come up with a plan so do your home work and good luck.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
If money is tight you could stay in one spot and work a few months a year. During my first few years "full-timing" I may work a couple of months a year. Programming computers I can almost make my whole year's budget in two months and spend the rest of the year traveling in the RV. Plus my tax bracket would be about 0%. I may not need to do that, but it's there if I need it.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another tip volunteering. We've been fulltimers for 7 1/2 years and volunteer 6 mos three somewhere up north in the summer and south in the winter. This cuts our site expense in half. These volunteer positions can vary fron manning a visitor center, interpretive host (training provided), camp host which duties may vary from agency to agency. We started at state parks then USFS, USACE, and USWFS. Hours required vary but the work is more enjoyable than difficult. You may want to check Volunteer.gov and any state DNR page and look for volunteer opportunies.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
rollindowntheroad wrote:
Here are my questions:
1) Is it bad for a motor home to sit for a month or two? I have considered buying a park model home but I want the option to move around..

Not at all. Best to run them every month or two.

rollindowntheroad wrote:
2) Is living full time in a motor home doable on $2,000.00 a month? Please remember I am alone, no other person or pets to consider. I don't have a lavish lifestyle, don't eat out very often, stay pretty much at home now. I don't want to get into it only to discover in a year or so I can't afford it.

IMHO, barely. As future prices go up and your rig gets older you'll find yourself in a bad spot.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you to all that replied! I really appreciate everyone's advise. It looks as though full timing in a MH isn't going to work for me financially. Will research getting a truck and either a TT or 5'er. Maybe that won't be doable either, but at least I am finding out the information before I get into it.

Once again, Thank you!

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought for the OP. Here's one solo gal that's still working but ....... You might enjoy some of her content: http://www.carolynsrvlife.com.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Search the web for solo full time rv'rs; there are tons of blogs out there written by people who are doing just what you want to do, and very inexpensively. They offer a lot of advice and resources in their blogs.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
If you go with a travel trailer and tow vehicle and they are paid off $2,000 per month is plenty. If you buy a used motor home it's a little riskier because of the potential repairs on an older motor home. You can keep your park rental around $600 per month if you are careful. Food, health insurance, vehicle insurance, gas, phone, miscellaneous might run around $1000 per month. You're done with room to spare.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I thought you changed your mind?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs