cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California, UT, Alberta, B.C., WA, OR, back to California

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
I'm starting to plan out our inaugural summer RV trip. We're either going to be towing a 36 - 39 ft Toy Hauler or a 40' Class A MH will be towing a Jeep Wrangler.

Our plan is to head on over the Sierras on I-80 to Salt Lake City. Spend a few days there exploring. Then Hwy 15 to Yellowstone, where we'd spend a week providing we can find a place to stay.

Next we take Hwy 191 from Yellowstone to Bozeman and then Hwy 89 to Great Falls. Spend 2 nights here.

We then take Hwy 15 to the border and cross over into Canada, taking Hwy 4 and 2 on up to Calgary. We'd stay there for a few days and then head on up to Edmonton for 4 or 5 days, since my wife has family there.

We leave Edmonton for Jasper/Banff area via Hwya 2 and 12, with 93 being the route up and down from Jasper to Banff. It seems finding a place in this area June 23 - July 5 is going to be tough since it covers both Canada Day and July 4th. We'd like to spend about 10 days in the area.

Then its west to Glacier National Park for a couple of days on Canada Hwy 1. From there it's a straight shot on Hwy 1 to Vancouver, where we'll spend 3 weeks since this is home for my wife.

Then it's back down into the States on good ol I-5.

Are any of these roads problematic for a F450 with a 36 - 39' Toy Hauler or a 40' MH with a 4 door Jeep?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh
16 REPLIES 16

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Next we take Hwy 191 from Yellowstone to Bozeman and then Hwy 89 to Great Falls. Spend 2 nights here.

We then take Hwy 15 to the border and cross over into Canada, taking Hwy 4 and 2 on up to Calgary.

Made this portion of your proposed route last year on our visit to Banff. No problem pulling a 34' fifth-wheel with a Chevrolet Duramax 2500.

Mr_Biggles
Explorer
Explorer
In May snow is very possible in Banff and Jasper.
2011 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73 Tow package
2013 Evergreen i-Go G239BH

jacketsbum
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:

Note, we went North May 15th 2017 and traffic was nill---Came back through Jasper and that area on July 4th, and I can't tell you how many thousand visitors were on the road. Around Banff, the Park had folks parking a few miles away and used shuttles on the freeway to get the people about..

I know this is an old thread but doing research for next spring. We're heading to Alaska and will be hitting the icefield through Banff and Jasper about the same time, the middle of May. How are the roads that time of year? Is the snow done, crowds aren't there yet? Do I need reservations at the cg's then or can I wing it?
2018 Keystone Cougar 338 RLK
2013 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel

kandkbrand
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx wrote:
Two Hands wrote:
You mention a bit of concern finding a place to stay in Yellowstone. Make a reservation now at Fishing Bridge RV Campground in the park or one of the rv parks in West Yellowstone. That will be one less thing to worry about. In fact, for a ambitious trip like this I would make a reservation at every place I could. Have a great trip.

Ugh...Fishing Bridge has already sold out of the 40 ft sites. All the have are the 35' and shorter sites. And from what I read the sites are very tight so squeezing in a 37 foot trailer 2A 35 or smaller full site it's not going to work. We may just need to stay outside the park

we stayed at lonesomehurst campground right on lake Hebgen last summer and it was perfect. Close enough to Yellowstone, but you can still get away from the crowd. Only 4 electric sites, but we booked the first day they were available (6 months out) and had no problem getting 2 sites.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/lonesomehurst-campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72360

great little campground

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reservations are a must for Yellowstone-or most anywhere close.
I'm not familiar with the visitors center near Jasper. last July, the town was PACKED!! We stayed at a very nice Provincial "overload area," which was about 10 miles from Jasper.
The Columbia Icefields parking lot might be a place to park for the night (if they allow it), but most of the lot is sloped for run off. There are two Provincial Parks at Jasper--get reserved NOW. Same with Banff or Lake Louise.
Note, we went North May 15th 2017 and traffic was nill---Came back through Jasper and that area on July 4th, and I can't tell you how many thousand visitors were on the road. Around Banff, the Park had folks parking a few miles away and used shuttles on the freeway to get the people about.
Your itinerary sounds very busy, but doable.

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I was up in Canada Glacier to Jasper then into BC Jul and Aug 2016. Had to make reservations in January and then had to keep calling for cancellations. Don't wait too long to book.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
You mention a bit of concern finding a place to stay in Yellowstone. Make a reservation now at Fishing Bridge RV Campground in the park or one of the rv parks in West Yellowstone. That will be one less thing to worry about. In fact, for a ambitious trip like this I would make a reservation at every place I could. Have a great trip.

Ugh...Fishing Bridge has already sold out of the 40 ft sites. All the have are the 35' and shorter sites. And from what I read the sites are very tight so squeezing in a 37 foot trailer 2A 35 or smaller full site it's not going to work. We may just need to stay outside the park

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having done similar trips to those areas, with similar mileages and days on the road, that sounds like a pretty good itinerary. It sounds like you are not trying to cram in too much stuff, and you have some nice rest breaks between long highway days. Most first-timers over-commit -- congratulations on resisting that impulse!

My only other comment would be to do one or two shorter trips with your new rig before launching the Big One. There will be glitches to fix and things to learn.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about the photo. Apparently Photobucket wants me to pay for their services now.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lexx wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Get yourself a Motor Carrier's Atlas and check your route. Generally, if an 18 wheeler can use the road so can an RV.

I actually plan on getting the Garmin for RVs.

Great choice on a Garmin! I used my RV-660 for my trip this last Fall with great results. One quirk though - Commercial traffic (semi's) is not allowed on the Icefield Parkway so the Garmin will try to route you around that road when the GPS is set for RV mode. Driving that road with an RV is OK but you need to reset the Garmin to automobile mode to get that routing. The Icefield Parkway is worth the drive if you're in the area.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Get yourself a Motor Carrier's Atlas and check your route. Generally, if an 18 wheeler can use the road so can an RV.

I actually plan on getting the Garmin for RVs.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
We leave Edmonton for Jasper/Banff area via Hwya 2 and 12, with 93 being the route up and down from Jasper to Banff. It seems finding a place in this area June 23 - July 5 is going to be tough since it covers both Canada Day and July 4th. We'd like to spend about 10 days in the area.

There is a visitor's center near Jasper on the Icefield Parkway that allows dry camping (used to be $12) and the views are gorgeous. Worth a stop if it's not full up.

WOW

That would be a "terrible" place to boondock.

The last time my wife and I were at the Columbia Icefields, it was close to the 1st of July and it was snowing. We were on the Harley and snow was sticking to the sides of the road and the windshield. The electric hand dryers in the bathroom at the visitor center were our best friend.

Seattle traffic is horrid traveling I-5. 97 through WA and OR is better is you are not in a hurry.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.