Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering a new Winnebago View 24J

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I've bounced around a lot over the years from multiple Truck Campers to our current travel trailer, and now we are considering trying our hand with a Winnebago View 24J. This is a new unit and one that has just about every option imaginable to include solar and full body paint. The only issues we have seen initially is the lack of a net or something to keep the kids from falling out of the overhead bunk, and auto levelers. Is there anything else specifically that we should be considering or look at before we go through with this?

Thanks
2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC
17 REPLIES 17

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
If you use jacks for stabilization, maybe you would benefit from heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars. Not just for improved handling, but also nice when parked.

Speaking from experience.

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a Thor 24H/L this past June. A new unit. At first I was not for some type of leveling system. Now not so much. We are often in the boondocks and blocks would be required anyway. When in campgrounds generally the sites are fairly level and a leveling system would be a stabilizing system. At firs I was putting a jack under the hitch for stability and I don't even do that, its just not necessary for us.

Does that mean a leveling system is ruled out, probably not, its just not a priority and maybe it just something else to go wrong.

Rick

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, save your money on the levelers. I don't think you need them - just buy (at least) two sets of the Lego block levelers. Weight is an issue on all MBS Class C's - some more than others, especially if you decide later on to get a toad. Our 2017 MBS 2400R has the standard "leveler", but I consider it more of a "stabilizer" than leveler. It works just fine. Also, if you are ordering a unit as opposed to buying off the lot, there is an option that allows the cargo net for the overhead bunk as standard, along with a few other items, depending on manufacturer. Enjoy the unit.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki wrote:
usmcshepherd wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts on the overhead bunk?

We use our overhead bunk as a bulk storage are for big light stuff like jock bags and paddling gear. We took out the mattress, carpeted it, and made a net that stretches across to keep stuff from jumping out.

when I was looking at Lance TCs that was one thing I was looking for as it would be good for bulk storage. IIRC the Lance bunk had a flip down panel that when up had two doors and made a nice storage area and you could get a net to use when made into a bunk area.
bumpy

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
RckyMtnVia wrote:
Lewis RV in Dayton Ohio is known for low prices and it may be worthwhile calling them for a quote, 937-253-8816. They will deal over the phone and are another resource for information.

Another data point is I heard WGO is allowing dealers to advertise 25% off MSRP so it looks like there is a price beyond that to be had. MSPs have gone up a lot in recent years which may account for that new policy. Lewis will likely be your benchmark in any case.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
usmcshepherd wrote:

We use our overhead bunk as a bulk storage are for big light stuff like jock bags and paddling gear. We took out the mattress, carpeted it, and made a net that stretches across to keep stuff from jumping out.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
I imagine that different models will lift different heights. Our Sprinter HWH system would lift the front wheels off the ground at least 3โ€.....that probably equated to 8โ€ or so of body lift.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
usmcshepherd wrote:

Neschultz...are your HWH levelers able to adjust more then 3โ€? Someone mentioned that was a limitation to levelers. Also, is the 4K a good estimate on an installed price?

I installed Big Foot Leveling on our previous 24' Class C on the Ford E450 chassis and found that it was one of our more appreciated upgrades. We found the added stability and leveling capabilities a nice amenity. Getting much more than 3" on any one corner over another would put the frame in a twist but, getting one end or side over 3" was no problem and we certainly were able to get our Winnebago Aspect "comfortably" level in any situation we encountered. Can't speak to the addition of a system such as this on the Sprinter Chassis but, as it has already been mentioned, understand that you are adding weight and this may not be a viable option for you. We found Big Foot to be an excellent company to work with. It looks like they have the same system I installed for the Sprinter chassis for $2399 installed at their factory. Our current coach uses the HWH system but, this coach does not compare with the needs of a Class C so really should not compare the two.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

clayway
Explorer
Explorer
For our overhead bunk in our 23 ft Born Free, we added a webbed truck tail gate worked perfect
Also in over 10 years we have never needed levelers

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
go to any Lance truck camper dealer and look at their nets and assuming size is correct, order one. I added HWH levelers to my bounder and they worked adequately, more than a few inches of lift. and IMHO they are one of the best additions to a motorhome. people pay 6,000 for FBP and worry about 4,000 for an actually useful item.
bumpy

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies...weโ€™ll probably test the unit out initially and see if we in fact need or want the levelers before spending $4k. That was the one thing I loved About our TC was the ability to level! Our 2018 coach has the electric stabilizers on it already so while I know they wonโ€™t level they are supposed to help a lot with stability!

Neschultz...are your HWH levelers able to adjust more then 3โ€? Someone mentioned that was a limitation to levelers. Also, is the 4K a good estimate on an installed price?

2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
We had HWH levelers installed on our 2014 Via. It was the best mod we ever did. Never had a spot that they wouldnโ€™t level in the 3 yrs that we had the Via....you could use them to change the tires if desired. Never had any problems with them. We were particularly fond of the stability they provided.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I understand class-C auto-levelers are good for only a few inches of leveling. You might want to look into their limitations.

Our 24 footer does not have them so I suppose we don't know what we are missing. We find the need to pull out our orange leveling blocks about half the time. The rest of the time, the campsite parking pad is either level or uneven so I watch the air bubble levelers and maneuver the rig on top of the highs & into the lows of the pavement to get it level. Every now and then the campsite is way out of wack with no hope to get the rig level. So then we do our best and try to make it so while sleeping, our heads are higher than our feet.

ADDING: We typically camp in tired, lesser-maintained campsites like in national parks, forests, monuments, etc. We rarely camp in an RV park where the sites are better maintained and the parking pads more level.

I advise to do without levelers on your first big trip to help with your decision, for they can be added at anytime. I am still determining if I want to spend the money... and we bought our rig 10 years ago. ๐Ÿ™‚

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
when I had my class A I found the leggo blocks to be too narrow to adequately support the sidewalls of the tires. check it out.
bumpy