cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing a Jensen "flying saucer' antenna on a Lance

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer we lost the Jensen Omni Directional ANHD20 while traveling across Wyoming in very high winds. Not much of a loss, as it did not work very well anyway. I am looking to replace it with something better, but I would like to reuse the existing mounting location. I am pretty sure using the existing location is pretty much going to rule out any sort of "crank up and rotate" antenna due to the area where it is mounted, which is above a non-opening area where the radio and other electronics are located. I though I may of read somewhere about a remote controlled antenna and that maybe an option.

This is on an 2009 Lance 845.

Anyone been down this road and what did you replace it with and how did it install?

Thanks!
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs
3 REPLIES 3

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
I took a quick look at it today and space on this truck camper roof is pretty limited. And I have some solar panels I would like to mount up there some day. The area directly under where it is now mounted is the blocked off cabinet. I need to pull the cover panel to this cabinet and get some dimensions of the different possible replacement antenna's.
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
We opted to junk the omnidirectional and go with the traditional batwing. Yes, they had to cut a hole in the roof and move the antenna slightly but it has been problem free for 4 years. For the life of me why they use that junk I'll never know. Personally, pay a little more and be done with it. It is scary cutting holes in the roof but the difference in the reception made it an easy choice for us.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If Iโ€™m correct, anything other than a direct replacement or other Omni directional will create a need for a hole in the roof for a turn handle, unless youโ€™re up for the Winegard Automatic which mounts on the roof but only needs the existing coax to do itโ€™s thing. Seems to have mixed reviews on reception and reliability. Check it out at the Winegard website.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT