cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to buy Nexus Super C

SWAT
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are ready to move up from a regular "C" to a Super C in order to get a bit more living space. We toured the Nexus factory this past summer and were impressed. However, at that time we were not looking to buy one. But now we are ready and plan to buy a used unit to save money and to get one where the "new bugs" have been resolved. But we're not finding many Used one out there. We live in the Raleigh, NC area and would like to find one (new or used) to test drive.

We'd prefer the Durastar chasis over the Terastar chasis.

Any words of wisdom in our search?
16 REPLIES 16

cajundrag
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats good folks to deal with. I think you will enjoy it.
Gary LeBoeuf
Destrehan,La
2017 Nexus Phantom 35SC

b17drvr
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! Great choice!

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations!

Gary

SWAT
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I finally made a decision and put money down on a Nexus Wraith today at the Tampa RV Show. It will be built on a "Durastar Lite" chasis with a 300 hp Cummins and 2500 Allistar 6-speed transmission, with a GVRW of 23,500 lbs.

The 4 guys from Nexus, which included both owners, Dave Middleton and Claud Dinari, the primary sales Rep, Dave Lint, and the VP of Sales, Steve Jacobs, were exceptional to work with. Dave Lint was especially helpful in that he spent several hours with us, answering questions and helping us narrow down our search. After several hours of looking at the 4 Super C's that were at the show and talking though all the options available, it became clear that the Wraith would be what best fits our needs and desires.

The salesman from Lazy Days, Shane Truesdale, was also great to work with once he was brought in for final negotiations.

We were also very impressed with how the Nexus guys where so responsive in that they listened to our suggestions and questions. They even agreed to make a modification to the cover of the fuel tank based on our feedback. They also committed to take back some other ideas to the design team back in Elkhart.

This is the first time we have ever purchased a brand new vehicle. But based on the great deal we were able to negotiate, we felt it was the right thing to do. We have been told it will take about 2 months to build our unit, which will include a paint color scheme that we preferred, and that has only been an option on the Ghost, and not the Wraith. When they communicated this us it convinced us that they are truly customer focused.

We plan to make a trip to the Nexus plant at some point during the build, which they encouraged us to do. I'll provide more information as we continue to communicate with Nexus during the build process, and then after we take delivery, which will be in Tampa at Lazy Days.

b17drvr
Explorer
Explorer
SWAT wrote:
So does the Yellow Sticker indicate the amount of payload you can load to the unit. If so, thatยดs a good amount.
Thanks,
Steve

Yes. It is required on all motor homes.

RichNewcome
Explorer
Explorer
I know you said you did not prefer the Terrastar chassis and Iโ€™m not crazy about allowing test drives, but if you want to drive over to Mebane, you can throughly inspect my 32SC and discuss the issues Iโ€™ve resolved. You can PM me if interested and we can set something up.

SWAT
Explorer
Explorer
So does the Yellow Sticker indicate the amount of payload you can load to the unit. If so, thatยดs a good amount.
Thanks,
Steve

b17drvr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Nexus Ghost 34DS. It is on the durastar chassis. Very happy with it. The GVWR is 25999 and the GCWR is 38000. It has a Cummins diesel and Allison 3000 series transmission. The yellow sticker in the door jamb shows a OCC weight of 3420 pounds.
The durastar chassis is very tough and well built.

SWAT
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for your comments and information. This is really helping us think through things. Keep the comments coming.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a very nice one that just came on the market over on the IRV2 website. Go to the Class C Forum and it is about half way down the page.

Here is a link to a very thorough review the owner did a while back:

https://www.coastresorts.com/boards/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28036931/print/true.cfm

I don't know the seller but was impressed with his coach with his review. good luck.

For the record we have owned our Nexus Phantom 23P for 4+ years and 41,000+ trouble free miles a nd love it.

:C

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to add that as of September 1st, Nexus is now selling through dealers. Check with Nexus's website and they may have selected a dealer in your area. For example, they picked up a dealer close to me and I went by there the other day and they had a Mayback Class A and a Ghost on display.

We'll be coming through Raleigh about Feb 1st if that helps.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up our Nexus Ghost 36DS 6 weeks ago. We picked it because the GVW is 25,999# which does not require a Class B license to drive it. Our carry capacity, although I have not weighed it, is enough for our full family of 7 and gear. It also will tow 20,000# although we fitted ours with a 10,000# hitch. With the 360 Cummins and 3000 Allison it pulled our Expedition with no problem.

We were interested in another popular Super C but it's GVW was over 26,000, requiring a license, and the GCVW was only 33,000 so in order to tow more than 5,000# the coach had to be underloaded.

Just my 2 cents.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

cajundrag
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Nexus 35Sc and are very happy with our purchase. I agree you need to check the weight loads and see what fits your lifestyle. For us we will never been full timers or on long multi month hauls. Mostly a weekender that wanted a Super C within our budget with a decent towing capacity for our toys. Enjoy the hunt.
Gary LeBoeuf
Destrehan,La
2017 Nexus Phantom 35SC

ragoodsp
Explorer
Explorer
You do really have to look at the GVW on all C's and Super C's. Some manufacturers are building their coaches to specific price points and they must "skim" here and there to make their targeted MSRP. The new SC2RV Freightliner is a perfect example IMO. It is a strong chassis but it does not compare to the M2-106 in regards to GVW/GCVW and of course is therefore less dollars up front. You need to decide how much caring/hauling capability you need from the chassis and go from there. My M2-106 has a GVW of 34,300 lbs and a GCVW of 60,000 lbs, there is no way I will ever reach those limits but it sure makes me feel safer to know I will never be overloaded. If there was some way to swing a few more dollars and get into a used Renegade I would do that over a Nexus.