cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't fix my water heater!! GOING INSANE!

hamel
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 1996 Holiday Rambler Vacationer SE, Class A motorhome. This is my first RV and I've been fixing any issues (LOTS OF ISSUES! -.-) by myself to save money. I was having an issue with my water heater (before I fixed anything) where I would switch the switch on and it would be in lockout mode and I'd have to switch it on and off for like 40 minutes before it'd kick on. Sometimes it'd stay on, sometimes it wouldn't. Sometimes it would reheat properly, sometimes it wouldn't. Sometimes I just couldn't get it out of lockout and I'd have to try the next day.

Fast forward. I want to fix this thing. I bought all new parts on Amazon. This included, new control board, new eco and thermo, and new thermal cutoff. I replaced everything and finally got to the wiring where I was confused. The connector was different then the one I had on before but I was assured this control panel would work with my model, the G6A-8E. After TONS of trial and error switching the cables in different spots (probably not the best idea, I know) I finally found a wire sequence where the igniter would start sparking and the lockout light would stay off. (I looked in the manual for the wiring sequence. The one it showed didn't work. I looked everywhere online, couldn't find anything and the sequence of wiring before I switched out the board didn't work either). After buttoning everything up and a very long day I went inside and held my breath as I pressed the switch.

BOOM! IGNITION! FLAWLESSLY!

I can't tell you how happy I was, let alone my wife. I took a super hot amazing shower. As soon as the hot water in the tank dropped I heard it kick back on, beautifully. My wife took a shower; kicked right back on. Dishes were next; kicked right on. I thought this was the end of the hot water fiasco. Another challenge triumphed. Wellllllllllllllll, I was wrong.

The next night my wife went to switch on the water heater so we could do dishes. Then came the dreaded, "Juuuuuuusssssstinnn........... The water heater isn't turning on". I always assume she messes something up so I go and check but low and behold; not working. I go outside do my normal checks, wires, connections, etc. I have her try it a couple of times and I realize the igniter is still sparking but I don't hear propane spraying at all. The other strange thing is the lockout light didn't come on (which makes me wonder if my wiring sequence is still wrong). I've tried all sorts of things, checked everything I could on the internet, check my manual, but I can not figure this out. I'm hoping it is the stupid wiring sequence but I am just confused why it worked flawless just for the next day it not to work at all. I have propane and the stove tops have been working fine. This is my last resort before calling a tech, which I don't want to do.

Pictures attached of Before/After
https://imgur.com/a/x5FEA
71 REPLIES 71

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, many rigs do not have enough room to store the sewer hose. They mount a PVC pipe to hold them.
e-z hose carrier

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

hamel
Explorer
Explorer
Quick question, let's see if you know the answer. I don't feel like taking a picture because its pitch black out but I have a PVC pipe with a screw cap near my black tank mounted under my motorhome. It doesn't look like it's connected to anything. Is this to store my sewer hose?

hamel
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Don't be bashful about asking questions.
Do it early before you get fustrated. Many times it can be a simply answer to what seems to be a complete loss.
Did you see my PMs? Call if you need anything. i am not that far away!

I did see them today! Thank you. Knock on wood but at this point I think everything (next to needing new tires and fluids come moving time) is working properly now!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Don't be bashful about asking questions.
Do it early before you get fustrated. Many times it can be a simply answer to what seems to be a complete loss.
Did you see my PMs? Call if you need anything. i am not that far away!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

hamel
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Aren't you glad you worked it out?
Thanks for the update as I thought we lost you!

I'm super glad it worked out! A new water heater wasn't a Christmas present I wanted to buy!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Aren't you glad you worked it out?
Thanks for the update as I thought we lost you!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

hamel
Explorer
Explorer
Well I fixed it guys! I should have done this at first but I didn't. I was at the point of replacing the water heater with a new one. I instead took one more chance and bought a board that looked identical to mine for $59.99. What I also bought, which I'm sure was the fix, was a new wiring harness with the CABLES ALREADY IN PROPERLY!

Well, they sent me a board that didn't look like mine, lol. Sent me one that looks like the other one I just bought.

They also sent me a wiring harness with FAR MORE CABLES AND PLUGS! (Pretty sure it was for electric/gas combo) The wires that matched mine were set properly in the harness but there was an extra yellow cable. I ripped that cable out of the harness. I cut any other unnecessary cables out until I had what looked like my original WITH THE EXCEPTION OF AN ADDITIONAL GROUND! (Which was included in the harness) I also grounded it in a better spot.

Anyhow, took me about 30 min went inside, flipped the switch andddddddddddd.......

Might as well be brand new. Fires first time, every time. Sounds great. Flames great. Thumbs up. Thanks for the help guys.

https://imgur.com/L5EDDIu

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I haven't seen any replies from the OP. Sent a couple PMs with no response.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No, the new board is lighter. I only used two screws.
The small wire coming off the ignitor post would need to have the connector cut off, and a 1/4 inch quick connect crimped on. They look like this. 1/4 inch quick connect

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

hamel
Explorer
Explorer
My two igniters wouldn't fit on that silver thing. You've got me a bit confused. No trip. In for the winter. My heater only has two vertical holes. The board has 4. I'd have to drill more?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No, it is just the board. Weather cover is extra. cover
Interesting the large covers is less large cover
It is easy to install 1/4 inch spade on wire.
Are you planning a trip?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

hamel
Explorer
Explorer
does the igniter come with these boards?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
They come in two different styles of ignitor cables. One looks like the spark plug end.
The other is a 1/4 inch quick connect. That is the first one I linked.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

hamel
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I posted the spade ignitor, Yours is a post. It is shown on right end of Amazon link.
Dino post

Whats up with the silver thing sticking out where you plug in the sparker? That doesn't look like my current one