Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Inverter Repair

levisara
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I was wondering if any of you know of anyone that repairs RV Inverters?

Thank you,
Levi

โš Did you miss the FTS "Announcement : READ BEFORE POSTING HERE"?
    Forum Technical Support (FTS) is reserved for questions related to the use of the Open Roads Forum sites,
    member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using FTS for RV related
    questions. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic.

Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM TECHNICAL SUPPORT

10 REPLIES 10

MrWizard
yes parts can be removed and replaced

but.. often times part numbers are missing ?

serviceman wll open it up, look at it and tell the customer .. too expensive
he doesn't want to invest the diagnostic time, matching up the correct part

and if it turns out to be an un-marked IC chip instead of discrete component
time involved goes way up
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
"I have to believe that inverters are like other modern electronics that it will be cheaper to buy a new one than getting it repaired"

A truism that promotes planet-raper resource depletion. Not a criticism of your response but a notation about general public consensus. I applaud the OP's attempt. I can only hope it works out.

If a law existed that I have mentioned numerous times before that insisted all expensive electrical and electronics be manufactured so a defect was repairable it would open up a whole new industry for the US, cause a natural correction with oriental chew & spit philosophy because of logistics

And finally such a mandate may end up being one of the most intelligent green proposals being offered.

But sadly no one is listening.

As someone who works on electronics. All electronics is repairable to component level. The problem is not the repair but people willing to repair. Typical scenario:
Product fails, cost to repair $185, age of unit 3 yrs, cost to replace $300, customer refuses repair and buys new one with more or better features. Typically when a unit repair goes beyond the 50% price point it will be dumped. It is the rare exception when that unit will be fixed. Usually it will be repaired beyond that point because it fits a unique place or has sentimental value to the customer. The other is age; with new product coming on line constantly with new or better features or specifications a unit over 3 years old will usually be consigned to recycle to get the new when the repair hits that price point as well. Sometimes even cheaper.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
I recently repaired my Xantrex PROwatt 600 SW. After about three years of flawless operation it just quit. No AC output. Customary eyeball inspection failed to detect anything unusual. No smoke, nothing burned. Further testing with instruments found both IRF 1404 mosfets shorted and 5.1 ohm resistors feeding gates open. Total cost: 2x $1.70 + 2x $0.13 $3.66. The unit is well built-good quality.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Labor is usually around 100-150/hr
A Good 2000 watt PSW inverter/charger can be 10 or more times that. REPAIR is indicated

A MSW.. Replace.

Oh and I have a prosine that needs help.. I was hoping to meet a technician in QZ but it does not look like that will happen this winter.. Anyone know of a Tech in upstate SC that can fix a Prosine?
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
If he really means inverter, it's a toss. If converter, that may be fixable.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"I have to believe that inverters are like other modern electronics that it will be cheaper to buy a new one than getting it repaired"

A truism that promotes planet-raper resource depletion. Not a criticism of your response but a notation about general public consensus. I applaud the OP's attempt. I can only hope it works out.

If a law existed that I have mentioned numerous times before that insisted all expensive electrical and electronics be manufactured so a defect was repairable it would open up a whole new industry for the US, cause a natural correction with oriental chew & spit philosophy because of logistics

And finally such a mandate may end up being one of the most intelligent green proposals being offered.

But sadly no one is listening.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Unless the unit is a big name and you can ship it to the manufacturer, for get it.

Even if you can get it serviced, the cost may make it impractical.

Do you have a friend that does this sort of stuff? Take the unit out, take the cover off and buy him a beer. Most of the times we used to find that there was a "mechanical" issue.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have to believe that inverters are like other modern electronics that it will be cheaper to buy a new one than getting it repaired.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
What make and model? Have you checked the manufacturer's website?
Some like Xantrex only sell parts to authorized service centers.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Fourth tech post in FTS today. Must be a trend.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman