cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Intellipower Convert Question.

mikathi
Explorer
Explorer
Is the converter a stand alone unit that will run once it is plugged in or does it have to have a transfer switch to operate? My 12 volt house batteries have not been charging and I've narrowed it down to a faulty transfer switch (to the best of my limited knowledge). When I manually pushed down the switch in the transfer box (white wire leads) the converter came on and ran for a few hours then the switch would release and the converter would go off. I ordered a new transfer switch and decided to take the old switch out and connect the shore line and load panel lines together (L1 in to L1 out, L2 in to L2 out, Neutral to neutral, ground to ground, leaving the generator lines taped and to the side for now) thinking that the converter would then run and charge the house batteries. But the converter did not come on. So again, the question is, is the converter a stand alone unit that will run plugged in the 120V and run. Thank you. Just trying to expand me knowledge of the RV 12V system and how it works. Any additional input would be appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

mikathi
Explorer
Explorer
Never off grid. Intellipower 9180. Going too replace it with a 9280.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some have main fuses on the converter. Check those but I think the converter is dead.

Post the model number for best replacement options. Do you ever camp off-grid and expect a fast charge from a generator?

mikathi
Explorer
Explorer
I have 122v at the Converters plug nothing out

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The transfer switch needs to pass 120v power through to the converter for the converter to work. Check if you have voltage at the main circuit breakers in the power distribution panel.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
mikathi,

You got lots of answers that are as good as you are going to get.

While Intellipower is a trade make of Progressive Dynamics, the model group is both old and wide. If, in the future, you could get an eyeball on the unit and include the actual model number, this would help us to get you a much better and more complete answer.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

MrWizard
is it a converter aka charge only ?

or is it an Inverter-converter combo unit
a combo unit has it's own internal transfer/pass-thru relay

which can fail, or the control circuit can fail

people sometimes plug portable electric heaters into outlets that are on the inverter circuit, 1200w heater on 1000w inverter circuit, eventually means a failure someplace on the pass-thru wiring, relay etc..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mikathi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Though there all "all in one" Multi-function devices out there

The converter and the Auto Transfer switch have very little to do with each other..

The job of the ATS is to select between a built in Generator and Shore power. Or some other source of power and shore/generator power (IE INVERTER)

The job of the CONVERTER is to make battery voltage out of 120vac.

The only "Relation" is the ATS chooses Shore or Generator

IF you do not have a generator you do not have an ATS but the converter still works.. Just like a fully automated battery charger (Which it is).

Some models are hard wired, Mine is plug in.

Had to replace it a few weeks back (Halloween eve) 3 screws held it in place. one Ground wire, The plug for the Charge Wiz. and two heavy 12 volt cables

One 20 amp 120 volt plug,, and a 25 mile "Turn around" (distance to/from factory round trip) and I was 100% again.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Per the discussion on your other thread, if the converter is plugged into an outlet in the coach, verify that you do have 120 VAC to the outlet.

If hard wired, and you are safe working around 120 VAC, do the same-- verify that the converter is receiving power.

The ATS is not really part of the equation as long as it is passing the shore power/generator power through.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the converter will put out "12v" when it is getting "120v" in. You could use an extension cord by-pass to plug the converter into (if it is a plug in type) and get the batteries charged up while you solve the transfer switch problem.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.