Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

South East States Camping & Visiting must sees

aka4170
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Will be traveling from Buffalo, NY down to the Florida Keys this summer. Taking about 6 weeks total. About a week planned in Orlando to visit Disney World (first time and camping at the Disney Campground) and another week in Atlanta to visit Family. Any good campgrounds suggested near Atlanta?

Would like recommendations for camp groups for a 35 ft travel trailer (with a dog and two teenagers) in North and South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

We love our National Parks and Historic places.

Any MUST SEE's in these four states? What isn't worth the hype? Good campsites?

any suggestions is appreciated.

THANK YOU!!
29 REPLIES 29

aka4170
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!!

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
1. Williamsburg, VA?
2. would like to visit Cape Hatteras and Kitty Hawk...something near this?
3. Myrtle Beach- (Ocean Lakes??)
4. Charleston- (James Islans County Park?)
5. Savannah

Williamsburg: On our last visit to the area we stayed at Newport News Campground. I think it is a municipal park. For sure it is a large forested area with a small lake. Very different from any commercial park in the area. It is centrally located to Yorktown and Jamestown as well as to Colonial Williamsburg.

Charleston: yes.

Savannah: Skidaway State Park. Easy drive back into the city. This definitely remains our choice.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jimmy Carter's isn't worth it. The Little White House at Warm Springs was much more interesting.

For campgrounds I suggest you look at the state parks website for the state where you want to camp. State parks are usually more interesting and focus on history and nature. If you're going to Myrtle Beach you'll like Huntington Beach State Park for its historic home as well as beach access. The beach there is much more peaceful than Ocean Lakes or other private campgrounds. Here's their website
https://southcarolinaparks.com/huntington-beach
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

aka4170
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone. Think I have narrowed it down.

Campgrounds for the following areas:

1. Williamsburg, VA?
2. would like to visit Cape Hatteras and Kitty Hawk...something near this?
3. Myrtle Beach- (Ocean Lakes??)
4. Charleston- (James Islans County Park?)
5. Savannah
6. St. Augustine
7. Cape Canaveral
8. Disney is Wilderness Lodge

After Disney I am torn: Do i go down to do the keys or do I start heading back to Atlanta? Suggestions and campsites either way?

9. Campsites on route 75 in Georgia? Would like to stop at Jimmy Carters? before Atlanta.
10. Campsites north of Atlanta? My aunt lives in Alpharetta, Gerogia but would also like to see Stone mountain.

After Atlanta.... Charlotte? but maybe Congaree National Park first?

Maybe Charleston on the way back to Buffalo.

Lots to do....have about 5-6 weeks and looking for pull through sites as I will be driving it (not husband) and not good at backing in.

thanks for any suggestions. Very excited but also overwhelming too.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If you like to hike and waterfalls and are going down I 81, check out Ricketts Glen State Park in north east PA, a 7 mile hike along 22 waterfalls & beautiful cascades. They have 2 campgrounds, all dry camping, a section allowing pets, hot showers. Most of the sites are small for your trailer, but there are some that will fit.

One point. DO NOT drive into the park from the south (Red Rock). Between Red Rock & the park, PA 487 is 2 miles of 18% grade (uphill).

Some of my photos of the park

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
In Florida, I suggest stopping at one of the many springs and spending a night. During the summer when you are here, the water temps are 72 degrees-- very refreshing. Salt Springs has FHU ( National recreation Area) . Juniper Springs ( state park) has a great canoe run, but no hookups at the CG. We stay at Salt Springs and drive the few miles to Juniper to canoe. There are also many other springs with CG's in the state.
Do you have a place in the keys already ? If not, we like this lot at Blue Water Key.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
On 95 south Brunswick area, near the Fla line. Blythe Island County park. stay a couple of days and explore the area and enjoy the restaurant on the north end of the Sidney Lanier Bridge.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
What part of the summer. We have visited Disney (Fort Wilderness) many times and have found that the last 2 weeks of August to be a very slow time for them. The campground only about 60% occupied and very short wait times for any of the attractions in the Theme Parks.
Rain, yes it rained every day, about 5pm, cleared by 5:30. Only once in 3 weeks, did it rain hard and long enough to keep us inside.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

aka4170
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone. We enjoy our National Parks and also historical places of interests. Have actually done the Blue Ridge in 2013 south to north with the trailer but did park it half way and just drove the truck visiting different places along the Blue Ridge. Beautiful places. We have gone over 25,000 miles so far in the USA and haven't really found a bad place. When I narrow it down, I will repost. Thanks again. It is a great start!

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree on Huntington Beach State park. Some FHU some W&E. Short walk to the beach. Decent camp store.Not too far the Murrel's Inlet and some nice restaurants. In the park you can visit Atalaya which was the home of the former owners of the property. Some mentioned the Blue Ridge Parkway. About 10 miles west of mile marker 18 is Sherando Lake. Nice campground with a lake for swimming.Another good one in Virginia is Goose Point. They have 3 loops,one right on a pininsela with some sites right on the water.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are interested in the Myrtle Beach area then I would suggest either of the two state parks in the area. Myrtle Beach State Park or Huntington Beach State Park. Both are very close to great seafood, golf, and not too far away for all the gaudy shopping and entertainment you might want. Huntington is just across the street from Brookgreen Gardens which is wonderful and they have activities year round. MBSP has more full hookups than Huntington and is also closer to several RV stores if you need service or parts.

I’ll echo the post on the county park in Charleston. Lots to do there besides the Yorktown, Fort Sumter. Great people. Would also suggest a visit to Savannah.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Co worker has a 30 ft Avion TT with a Dodge 3500 quad cab long bed. He likes to visit Mt Pisgah campground (15 miles S of Ashville) on the Blue Ridge Parkway at least once during the summer because it is cool (no power, water or sewer at Mt. Pisgah), however it is the only campground on the BR Parkway with showers. Has a dump station and scattered faucets. I went up in my MH with him this June, very good trip. We hiked some of the trails, they hiked to the top of Mt Pisgah, but I arrived just as they were getting back from that hike.

Best access to Mt Pisgah is from Ashville. The other roads are quite steep (yes, I got stupid and took NC 215 from the east up to the parkway, never again, and my friend said he had taken his TT up US 276 from the east and won't do that again, but from Ashville (which is how both of us departed) is not bad.

Other fun remote getaway is Black Rock Mtn State Park in Georgia, near Clayton in NE GA on US 23. (GA's highest state park) Steep climb to the park, so be sure of your tow vehicles capabilities, 9% or 10% grade for about 2 miles WITH NO PULL OFFS OR TURNAROUNDS, but the view and surroundings are well worth it. Winding entrance road so you need the entire curve with a TT, be on the lookout for oncoming traffic. You can explore up toward Franklin from there easily, couple of really good local produce stands nearby too.

Savannah is a beautiful and historical town and is easily explored on foot or on a tour trolley. You can even (for a fee) stay in the parking lot of the Visitor Center (so I have read, haven't tried it) but Skidaway Island State Park is close to town and a great place to stay, out in the salt marshes.

http://www.visit-historic-savannah.com/savannah-visitor-center.html

It all depends on whether you are into history, scenery, or something else. Knowing your rig and capabilities, and interests makes suggesting things easier.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously you have the choice of one route on the way down and another route back. I go online to the various states travel and tourism web sites and research what there is along the way. I can also recommend the Biltmore estate in Asheville. Plan on a full day there and downtown Asheville is interesting too so a couple days there is not too much. If you have never been to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville then I say its worth a stop for 3 to 4 days. Dollywood is a great park to visit too. Many dinner shows to take in along with entertainment venues like the Smoky Mountain Opry. Chattanooga (and Gatlinburg) has a great aquarium and Lookout Mountain and the incline railway.

You may find that there is more to do than time permits. Happy and safe travels.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Padlin wrote:
Are you moseying around or just looking for quick stops as you pass through on your way to Micky World? A lot depends on your route.

Along I95, Outer Banks, Charleston, Savannah.

Along I81, Smokies, Blue Ridge (I've not driven it with trailer in tow), Shenandoah Valley and the National Park.

You'd have to narrow things down some to get CG recommendations.

Double ditto. Knowing which way you travel will help narrow the suggestions. Also, what are you interested in? History? Entertainment parks? Nature? The number of stops and visitor's places is exponential.

I do recommend that for each state you pass through and plan to stop that you check out their state parks website. Most have maps with the parks marked where you can see what's close to your route. State parks often have nice campgrounds for RVs too at a reasonable price - something that's important for many RVers after they pay those high Disney prices. Again, the website will tell you if they have a campground.

Map of VA state parks http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/find-a-park

Map of NC state parks https://www.ncparks.gov/find-a-park

Map of SC state parks
https://southcarolinaparks.com/

Georgia state parks map including the Atlanta area
http://gastateparks.org/map/

Note: I found these by using Bing. Google works well too.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus