cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic AC unit fan out of balance?

Trailering_Texa
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2016 Grey Wolf travel trailer with a Dometic 13,500BTU AC roof unit. We used it last winter with no problems. It sat in our yard over the summer and we took it out last week for a short trip. When we turned the AC on for the first time it made a noise and vibrated as it the fan was out of balance. We turned it off immediately and just used a small electric fan for the remainder of the trip. We have dirt dauber bugs where we live and sort of thought they might have gotten in the AC and built a nest in the fan. Husband dropped the inside cover of the unit and has tried to look and see what the problem is. The squirrel cage does seem off balance as it always returns to the same spot when spun, like it is weighted there. He doesn't see anything as simple of a dirt dauber and isn't sure what it could be. He had hoped he could remove the unit from inside and sit it on the table and look at it. He has realized it needs to be removed from the roof up. This is not possible. He is too old and I don't want him crawling up on any roof at this stage of the game. We will call a repair place but since we are usually DIY kind of people I was wondering if anyone had had a similar problem and knew of a way to get to it from inside the the trailer and not from the roof. Since it gets HOT here in the summer we wondered if something from the roof or sealant could have melted ??? during the summer dripping on the fan. Just hoping for a way to fix it ourselves. RV techs are expensive on a fixed income.
11 REPLIES 11

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
AS the others have stated, it is mud daubers nest. If you lived closer I'd help you. Just ask a neighbor or teenager to climb up there and take the cover off then clean the fan blades. That is exactly what my problem was and I cleaned it, very easy. A professional will charge you an unreasonable rate. Good luck

X 2 totally agree, seen and had it happen to me it too many times
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
With temps in the 105-110 degree range one summer we hadn't used the trailer for several weeks.
Later temps cooled to the lake we went with the boat and camper. Turned the A/C on and nothing but a hum.
Mud daubers made a fist size mud nest on a blade that was pointed down close to the roof one summer. Actually bonded the blade to the roof.

That was in the '80s and since then I use hardware cloth over all holes/louvers or anywhere a dauber can crawl into with his mud.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
AS the others have stated, it is mud daubers nest. If you lived closer I'd help you. Just ask a neighbor or teenager to climb up there and take the cover off then clean the fan blades. That is exactly what my problem was and I cleaned it, very easy. A professional will charge you an unreasonable rate. Good luck

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
Mud Daubers on your fan. Other post are correct. Clean and you will be OK.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let me say this. If you take the outside shroud/cover off it will be the only fan you can see. follow the link Caveman Charlie posted.
Let us know what you find.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a look at this.

http://bryantrv.com/roofac2.html

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trailering Texans wrote:
OK - now here is where I show my ignorance. There is an outside fan on my AC unit? Not just the one inside the unit? Thanks for your reply.

Well, basically yes. Your AC is a Heat Removing Unit. There are 4 basic parts. A compressor, a evaporator, a condenser, and a fan to move the air.

There is one fan blade that blows the cool air across the evaporator inside the camper and another fan blade that moves the hot air across the condenser outside the camper on the roof. There is one fan motor with a shaft coming out of both sides of it. One side of the motor has the fan blade on it for moving air over your evaporator inside the camper. The other side of the motor has a fan blade on it for moving hot air over the condenser outside of the camper on the roof.

The Mud Daubers have built a nest on the outside fan blade. Someone will have to get up on the roof remove the cover and clean it. It is easy to do though.

Sorry if I didn't explain this very well. This is the reason that I am not a teacher.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
rhe unit has two fans a intake and a exhaust

Trailering_Texa
Explorer
Explorer
OK - now here is where I show my ignorance. There is an outside fan on my AC unit? Not just the one inside the unit? Thanks for your reply.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
See if a fellow Rv'r can climb up on the roof for you. Easy fix, remove shroud and remove nest on fan blade. 15 minute job if that.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
you have a dirtdobber nest on the blade on the outside fan