cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tongue weight

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
OK what is the ideal tongue weight is it 12% or 15% the TT I am looking at has a 10995 GVWR, UVW 8994 brochure says 1095 Hitch weight. Try to figure what WDH I would need. I am think the Equalizer 14000/1400. Now the other question I have is should I use a sleeve and 2" or a 2 1/2" shank?
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
11 REPLIES 11

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
I would go with 1400lb bars.

As far as the receiver goes, I have a 2.5 in receiver, but went with 2 in shank and had sleeve welded in to keep it from flopping around. I debated and decided to stay with the 2 inch shank. Glad I did. Truck broke down, and had to have truck and trailer towed. Tow truck showed up and he needed to use my hitch.. and his receiver was 2 inch. Not sure what I would have done if I had a 2.5 inch shank.

Mike
That makes sense not everyone has a 2 1/2" hitch
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
The heavier you are on the tongue the better the trailer will tow if the TV is up to the task.

I try to load my trailers heavy in the front if I have a choice because they always tow better.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
For proper trailer tracking between 12% and 15% is the preferred. Anything less than 10% is questionable. It is always better to be on the heavy side.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
12% -15% is ideal...There is no hard number....
You really can't tell from the brochure numbers...have to actually load up and weigh.

But, for the numbers you posted, I'd definitely go with the 1400 lb. bars.
If you have a 2.5 inch receiver, I'd go with the 2.5 inch shank and skip the band-aide sleeve.

DITTO !!!

Brochure numbers do not include dealer installed options, propane, and, in some cases, a battery. Actual tongue weight will be higher, before the trailer gets off the dealer lot.

Also consider, tongue weight is not a constant number. It goes up as you load dishes, pots and pans, bedding, camp chairs, BBQ equipment, etc. Then it fluctuates up and down during every trip.

Depending on location, in relation to trailer axles, holding tanks can have a significant impact on tongue weight.

My trailer for example, fresh tank is behind the axles (takes weight off the tongue) and my galley tank is in front of them (adds tongue weight). My lightest tongue weight has been 975 lbs, and heaviest I've seen was 1210 lbs. The brochure weight was 880.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
There have been reports of the hitch pin bending when using an adapter sleeve. Since the sleeve can float front to rear, that 1/4" additional clearance may as well be air.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:

As far as the receiver goes, I have a 2.5 in receiver, but went with 2 in shank and had sleeve welded in to keep it from flopping around. I debated and decided to stay with the 2 inch shank. Glad I did. Truck broke down, and had to have truck and trailer towed. Tow truck showed up and he needed to use my hitch.. and his receiver was 2 inch. Not sure what I would have done if I had a 2.5 inch shank.

Mike
That is why I stayed with 2" as well.

What is interesting is that the 2" and 2.5" are rated the same!

Probably because the 2.5" is only 2" for the vertical drop. So there is no strength advantage with the 2.5".

I fashioned a keeper bracket for my adaptor sleeve. It is hard to describe, but it is a bolt on affair that goes behind the receiver hole.
So it stays in all the time, but is removable should it ever need to come out.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
12 to 15 % is often the preferred number, the Ford towing information uses 10 %.

Normally, I am in the 12% range but on one rather short trip I did dropped to just under 9% without any noticeable problems.

Stay with the 12 to 15 range.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
UVW 8994# with a dry tongue weight of 1095# is a 12.17% tongue weight

GVWR 10,995# wet tongue at 12.17% would be 1338#

So 1400# WDH bars and the 2.5" shank
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Get the Equal-i-zer 14,000/1400 and the 2.5 shank and you won't go wrong at all.

My TT (signature below) is right around the same weight as yours, and with camping gear, food, water, etc, the WD hitch is still within good range.

The 2 inch shank sleeve? That's what I'm using, and if you can avoid it, do so. The sleeve has movement, and then the hitch shank has movement. This is just normal because the hitch pin hole is slightly bigger than the pin, allowing for movement. It's kind of un-nervy at first hearing and feeling a slight klunk-klunk from the hitch, but after you realize it's jsut the nature of the sleeve, you eventually just ignore it. However, if I were to do it again, I'd certainly want the 2.5 inch shank to eliminate some of that movement.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
12% -15% is ideal...There is no hard number....
You really can't tell from the brochure numbers...have to actually load up and weigh.

But, for the numbers you posted, I'd definitely go with the 1400 lb. bars.
If you have a 2.5 inch receiver, I'd go with the 2.5 inch shank and skip the band-aide sleeve.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro