cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

After the fatal accident: Our recovery and insurance issues

CoachPotato
Explorer
Explorer
To all who were so responsive to our terrible accident on October 3rd in Kansas, here is an update and report on the involved insurance companies: (Edit: Here's that story on RVnet.)

Our insurance company, Progressive, has been very good to us. We had an agreed value on our coach of $55K, and they paid us promptly for that, less the $2500 deductible. Surprisingly, and likely due to state insurance regulations, they added several thousand for fees and taxes we'll pay for our replacement coach. We also had $750 emergency expenses coverage with our policy, and they paid that as well.

The other party's insurance company, Allied or Nationwide (they seem to use both names) has been fair and responsive as well. I had to send them our claim and supporting documents twice as they didn't get the first mailing, so that was a couple of weeks delay.
We listed everything we could think of on our claim that required our labor, time, money, etc. I claimed $15 per hour for all the labor involved in unloading our "stuff" from the coach, driving it home, and unloading it there. I claimed every dollar we spent for the U-Haul rental, boxes, truck door lock, gas, food, and motels. We claimed mileage for our kids who drove 800 miles round trip to help us and for their motel, their labor unloading the coach with us, etc. I claimed the $2500 deductible. I even claimed the unused portion of the chassis and transmission service I'd just paid for. We claimed possible back injury for my wife. Allied (or Nationwide) has agreed to pay for everything except my maintenance costs which they said was included in the value of the coach. But it turned out my wife's back seems Ok, and they offered $2500 to clear that claim. We accepted. That more than covered the maintenance claim they denied. We are pleased with both insurance companies and consider ourselves fairly treated. It has been a wonderful relief that we were treated well as we'd never dealt with such a large claim before.

And...!! We have a new coach which is another story but I'll include it here. Our search for a 32' Journey, the coach we lost, was very frustrating. I had alerts listed on three major RV sales sites for what we basically wanted: a diesel pusher up to 34' long and in similar condition to ours. Only one Journey 32T of our vintage and equipment was found, and the seller wanted almost $80K for it, an outrageous price. (It's still for sale, of course.)

We finally found a very low priced Bounder 34 in Ohio. We bought it sight unseen, but well investigated, and paid the seller in advance! (We vetted him very well and he is a pillar of his community.) We paid for a couple of his friends (former cops) to drive it to our home, about 2500 miles. All went well, and the coach arrived two days ago.

Our new-to-us Bounder Diesel has a Cat C7 engine instead of the Cummins our lost coach had, but I reckon I'll be happy with it. The Bounder is actually in better condition than ours was, and we are very pleased. I'll include a photo below.

I found similar Bounders online for up to $70K which seems outrageous; we bought this one for $45K plus $2500 for the delivery. My last gas coach which I sold when I bought the diesel we lost in the accident was blue and we called her Big Blue. So... here's Big Blue II:
16 REPLIES 16

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear that everything money wise has worked out. How did you find that great looking MH? If we saw that one, we would have been all over it.
Wildmanbaker

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
So glad everything worked out in a positive way for you. so many times it doesn't. Congratulations!
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you found a very nice clean unit. Thank you for the detailed information of your 'journey'.

Very safe travels!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
So happy for you that everything turned out well.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing the insurance info. I was wondering if the big if happened, would we have a financial problem.

Document, document, document sounds like the ticket.

Safer travels, KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
chuckftboy wrote:
Never met a Bounder owner that was unhappy with his coach. Nice find

Iโ€™ve had two 1996 34jโ€™s because Iโ€™ve loved them so much! Thought about buying a newer rig but I just love this unit so much I bought another.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Never met a Bounder owner that was unhappy with his coach. Nice find
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

cm2785
Explorer
Explorer
Wow my heart breaks for the poor guy who lost his life over this... obviously it wasnโ€™t your fault but I wish they could do something with these roads that require more thought than many give to them.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking coach!! Good luck and safe travels.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Glad it all worked out OK.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
The exterior is absolutely beautiful! Good luck!
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

MrWizard
Great ending to a tragic incident

Love the new coach
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats. Big Blue II matches your jeans, it was meant to be.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice to hear you were satisfied with the settlement(s). Too often, people try to screw the insurance companies and those are the ones that suffer in the long run. Sounds like you covered your bases pretty well and treated them fairly, and they, in turn, returned the favor....love the new coach....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG