cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparing to sell camper

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
I know this may sound like a silly question, but we've never sold a camper - what do I include? What is "customary?" Is there such a thing? I mainly have questions about the WDH - do I leave it on and include the hitch or unbolt it all and leave holes exposed/tape up with black tape? What about the tag? I'm assuming it stays with me and goes on the new camper (when we get it). Anything I should include? Much appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
When I sold my last TT I gave everything pertaining with it. Backup camera,brake controller,pots pans and barbacue.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
We've sold a few TT's. First we clean it inside and out, and take EVERYTHNG out of it, all of the shelves we installed, the do-dads on the walls, the toothbrush holder, thermometers, etc. Don't worry about the holes left in the walls, used trailer buyers expect that. We of course leave the awning wand, jack wrench, spare tire, etc. In other words, we leave it just like it would be when you would bring home a new trailer from the dealer, unadorned and ready for personalizing it. Most people love to head to an RV store and buy new things to fix up their "new" TT, I know we do.

Everytime we've bought a used TT, we end up taking all of the stuff the previous owner(s) had installed and throw it away (except for the candy bars and change), cause we want it set up our way. Even if its clean, the wife will clean it herownself. I'll pull the wheels and drums, take a look at the bearings and brakes.

Always keep your WD hitch, cause its fitted to your truck, not the trailer. Keep your sewer hose (I wouldn't want somebody elses sewage), water hose and all the little things it takes to hook everything up. Clean out your cubby where you keep your outdoor hook up items, you'll be surprised how much you've got in there you forgot you had.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Our last 2 campers have included the WDH and we are selling one that will include WDH.

When we show up, we are prepared to handle all paperwork and money, and hauling that same day.

Standard WDH's are online all the time in the $150 range. If that makes or breaks the sale...let's just say the things we find out afterwards have always been more than that.

We buy used, so maybe that is a factor.

Installing, drilling, matching up bars and heads, while at the seller's location before we can take it home....I wouldn't do it.

YMMV.

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
crazyro wrote:

I'm ashamed to admit this, but when I showed up to buy our current TT I simply showed up with my truck and a hitch. No WDH. Nothing but a 2 5/16" ball. Pulled it all the way home (over an hour) doing 70 MPH. I didn't know better. Fortunately for me, the thing pulled nice and straight and didn't sway once.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll definitely make sure the new owner will at least be educated on what they should/shouldn't do.

I did the same thing when I picked up our trailer. Luckily had the right size ball on the hitch. Decent climb and some snow on the way home. I got really lucky since the next time I towed it on the highway I had a major sway issue.

I sold that trailer this weekend. I included basically the stuff that came with it that I didn’t need for the new one. Anything I had acquired myself that I need for the new trailer I kept. I did include the WDH and bars since the new trailer is a fifth wheel and I won’t need WDH anytime soon.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
When we sold our last TT the owner showed up with a First Generation Tundra and a 2 5/16 ball bolted to the bumper, no brake controller.

I told him that in good conscience I could not let him take the camper home without a few things. He got the brake controller installed and provided the WD hitch with the sale.

A few weeks later he emailed me back and thanked me for all the help, told me the set up was great. I sure wish he would have showed up with at least a proper half ton.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:
I suggest having your camper "tow away ready" by including whatever hitch is needed for the prospective buyer to connect and tow it home.

Unless you have a specialty hitch that is very expensive...

Good luck!

As I mentioned, the hitch head IS the most expensive part of a WD.

The bars and brackets are the cheap part.

Price them yourself.

As for "tow away ready", that IS and SHOULD be up to the "buyer"..

WD is NOT a "requirement" for ALL trailer/tow vehicle combinations and it IS the buyer's responsibility to ensure they have sufficient tow capacity and hardware BEFORE ever entering into an agreement to purchase.

It is not the seller's responsibility, although I HAVE dissuaded folks who showed up to buy one of my TTs when they showed up with WAY TO LIGHT of a tow vehicle.. The one that ended up buying, showed up with a 3/4 ton truck instead of small SUVs, Rangers, ect like the rest did..

I as of yet have not ever been able to find any TT which I could simply hitch and go..

I have had to fix lights, brakes, supply a battery for the breakaway, replace breakaway switch and pump up tires before moving the trailers..

I'm ashamed to admit this, but when I showed up to buy our current TT I simply showed up with my truck and a hitch. No WDH. Nothing but a 2 5/16" ball. Pulled it all the way home (over an hour) doing 70 MPH. I didn't know better. Fortunately for me, the thing pulled nice and straight and didn't sway once.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll definitely make sure the new owner will at least be educated on what they should/shouldn't do.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
DiskDoctr wrote:
I suggest having your camper "tow away ready" by including whatever hitch is needed for the prospective buyer to connect and tow it home.

Good luck!

As I mentioned, the hitch head IS the most expensive part of a WD.

The bars and brackets are the cheap part.

Price them yourself.

As for "tow away ready", that IS and SHOULD be up to the "buyer"..

WD is NOT a "requirement" for ALL trailer/tow vehicle combinations and it IS the buyer's responsibility to ensure they have sufficient tow capacity and hardware BEFORE ever entering into an agreement to purchase.

It is not the seller's responsibility, although I HAVE dissuaded folks who showed up to buy one of my TTs when they showed up with WAY TO LIGHT of a tow vehicle.. The one that ended up buying, showed up with a 3/4 ton truck instead of small SUVs, Rangers, ect like the rest did..

I as of yet have not ever been able to find any TT which I could simply hitch and go..

I have had to fix lights, brakes, supply a battery for the breakaway, replace breakaway switch and pump up tires before moving the trailers..

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer

Good luck!

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you peeps. Those were my thoughts as well. I have a heavy duty WDH system and will be keeping it. I don't know what we'll end up with next so I'd much rather be prepared.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimlj wrote:
I sold one a few months ago. It had an older style WDH that I included with the sale as I didn't want to put it on anything new I bought. Turns out the new to me trailer I purchased had a more modern one that came with it. If you plan to buy used, a lot of the ones I looked at came with a hitch. A new WDH will set you back several hundred dollars, but I have seen good used ones go for less than a hundred.

Depends on what all PARTS of the WD you are willing to give up.

For example, one of the TTs I bought, the seller left the bars and brackets in the trailer..

But no hitch head.

Turned out that the bars are the cheap part and the hitch head is the expensive part.

I ended up scrapping the bars and brackets, was money ahead to buy a complete NEW WD with new head rather than use old worn bars and cobble together with a new hitch head..

Sometimes giving away worn parts is a bad idea.

jimlj
Explorer
Explorer
I sold one a few months ago. It had an older style WDH that I included with the sale as I didn't want to put it on anything new I bought. Turns out the new to me trailer I purchased had a more modern one that came with it. If you plan to buy used, a lot of the ones I looked at came with a hitch. A new WDH will set you back several hundred dollars, but I have seen good used ones go for less than a hundred.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Totally depends upon what state you are in.,.....like in Michigan you cannot transfer the plates to a different trailer.... you start with a complete plate over again .

some states you could transfer it to the new trailer

As far as the items..... if you're going to get another trailer ,why would you give away the items that you need for the new trailer....?????
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
WDH, if you are going larger/heaver.. add it to the package.. I did.
offer other stuff you do not want/need... blankets, dinner ware.. toaster oven.

otherwise box it up for the new trailer.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Anything you expect to need to replace in or for the new unit, I would keep unless it somehow cannot be easily removed.
If you are getting another TT and were happy with the WDH, why give it away if it is perfectly usable with the new one? If you were going to a 5er or a motorhome, then I could see including it.
As far as all the little incidentals, plugs, surge protectors, pressure regulators, keep them, you dont even know if the buyer will want or like the style of items you had.