cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smaller Trailer, with big features, ideass?

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Currently have a 40ft 5ver, pulling with 1 ton duelly (see Sig) Downsizing, want travel trailer around 30ft +/- with large bath and washer dryer connections, that can be pulled with a 1/2 ton P/U. Ideas?
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
11 REPLIES 11

Trailering_Texa
Explorer
Explorer
You can find several nice rigs with good size baths that can be pulled by a 1/2 ton, but think they will be more in the 28 - 30' range. Agree with another poster that suggested forgetting the WD. When we travel for long periods I bring clothing that can be easily washed out in the sink. Save up the linens and jeans and just have a day at the laundromat every couple of weeks.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with a half ton is the large variations in cargo capacity.

My F-150 has a max cargo of 1411 lbs; there are some with more, and a few with less.

In theory I could tow a 9500 lb TT with 1200 lbs on the tongue; with just me in the cab. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

My 5000 lb. dry weight 25 ft Dutchmen TT crosses the CAT scales at 6200 lbs, with 750 lbs of that on the tongue when loaded for the road. That leaves only a bit over 650 lbs. for two adults, a large dog and camp gear in the cap covered bed.

Anything over 5000 lbs dry is really better served with a 3/4 ton.

Small is in the eye of the user. We found all we needed in a 25 footer. If we had the grandkids it would be a different matter.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
You can pull a Keystone Bullet Ultralight 30' with a 1/2 ton . They weigh under 6000 with tongue weight of 600. I have a 31' Bullet 285RLS and pull with an Expedition! Bullets are Ultralights but with deluxe amenities and are high quality! I have only seen positive reviews on this and other sites on that model! Ours is a 2014 and we have never had the slightest thing malfunction after 3 years of use! That is amazing ( and unusual for a TT). Forget the W/D combo though.. as others have said you will only find in 35' and longer TT's and FW's.. and not necessary . Most F/S campgrounds have W/D's on site and if Boondocking, the nearest town has a coin laundry if you are staying for an extended period and need to do laundry.
Check out Bullet TT's on line or at your local dealer. Find a 2017 leftover and you will save many thousands over a 2018!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I think the WD prep is a deal breaker. IMHO there are quite a few 30ish foot trailers set up with nice bath, lots of room but at the last RV show a few weeks ago, the only TT with WD prep were in the 35ft or more overall length.

I agree, the FS campgrounds are an issue, our's is 35ft overall and I've had to be carefull on campgrounds, often calling in advance.

30Ft overall would be nicer in that respect.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Korkoro
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the market right now and thought I wanted a w/d set up. However, I also like state forest campgrounds where length of trailer can be an issue. I found that any trailer that had a total length of 30' did not have a w/d prep. Any 30' floor plan, or for that matter 29', was over 7,000 lbs. Now I know some have successfully pulled a loaded 7,000 lbs. trailer with a half ton pickup, but,it doesn't seem wise. I've given up the w/d idea.

Be Well!
KORKORO

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
I'd go with at least a 3/4 ton for a 30' trailer.

Concur !

Or get a small 5er for a 1/2 ton.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW I saw an unusual setup for a W/D a while back. Guy had a Keystone TT that originally had an outside kitchen, he had modified it to put a splendide W/D combo unit where the small refrigerator had been. Did not see what he did for a drain, but thought it may give you ideas at least.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Whatโ€™s your issue with a 3/4? Not sure Iโ€™ve seen a 30 foot TT with a washer/dryer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with at least a 3/4 ton for a 30' trailer.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think one exists. It's the half ton towable and 30+ feet that I think is the sticking point. While some of the heavier duty half tons like the max package equipped trucks might be borderline on weight, that slab sided trailer is going to move that light truck all over the road in a wind. Best of luck in the search.