cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th to a C or A, thoughts

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is a can of worms, but I'm putting it out there anyway. I currently have a 40' Fiver. We are going to buy a condo in MB next fall. I'm thinking of a 30' +/- Class C or Class A. We will keep our Stick Built, and use the condo, but want to be able to travel elsewhere. Looking for opinions as to the move down in size, and which size would be reccomended.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
28 REPLIES 28

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
This old pfart put a grab handle on the side of the stairs. That sure worked out great.

We have a daughter that lives i Murrells Inlet. I always say that the best thing about Myrtle is that it has a bypass. :B

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for ll of the feedback. We are "aging out" I can't keep fighting the stairs and setup with the 5ver. Just thought a small A, might be good for traveling to see the sights. I know it's not the right fit for long stays unless you tow something. But thats the idea. Keep moving.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
The people I know who have moved from a 5er to a MH went back to a 5er!

Men's reasons for liking a MH "I like being able to see way down the road while driving".

We full-timed in a 5th wheel for 8 yr. Friends latched us on to 4x4 Jeeping. We went to a 40' motorhome towing the Jeep for another 8 years.

Jeeping gave us unlimited fun and places we never knew were there.

We always hated driving the big truck around to sitesee and yes, with the motorhome one has an awesome view both when going down the road and when parked with a river, lake or mountains in view. The motorhome was the best!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The people I know who have moved from a 5er to a MH went back to a 5er!

Men's reasons for liking a MH "I like being able to see way down the road while driving".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
No one can answer that question but you. You know what you expect when camping. Personally we have owned condo's on the beach in Panama City Fla. Was happier when I sold them than when I bought them. Just way to crowded during the summer to enjoy for us. Like I said before. No one knows what you really want but you.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we're sort of in the same place - rather than haul our 5er all over, we bought a condo in FL. NOW we find we needed more cargo space than our truck camper afforded since we're bringing things from one abode to another, so we converted a medium-roof Transit cargo van into a "stuff-hauling" minimalist Class B. Back to your question, you might appreciate the extra storage one seems to get in a Class A?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
...If happy with the 5er, as big as it is, why trade for something else which is going to cost more to buy & maintain?

I can't speak for the OP, but we come across many who age and find out they can no longer do the stairs into a 5'ver then up and down all day to the bathroom/bedroom.

When that time come, many go to a TT. Seems like the OP wants to stay in the MH world for whatever reason they have. MH's don't take all that much strength to setup and teardown so maybe that's part of their requirements.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lets see, the OP already has a large 5er & presumably a truck to pull it. A truck that gets used for other stuff too. He wants to swap that for something with an engine, which needs to be service, & is going to sit for long periods of time unused.

The man has too many toys.

If happy with the 5er, as big as it is, why trade for something else which is going to cost more to buy & maintain?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Wingcamper
Explorer
Explorer
We decided to go away from the 5th and went to a 31 ft class c. We read a lot on these forums and asked people at campgrounds their opinions. Everything out there has its pros and cons. We thought we wanted a class c, but before we made the change, we rented a class c for a few days to see how we liked it. It cost us less than $500 for 4 days, but that really helped us to make important decisions when looked for a class c. If I remember right, we rented through RVShare. Its individuals that rent their own rv. A lot cheaper than the rv rental chains. We miss the room of the 5th wheel and I miss the driving comfort of the F350 tow vehicle, But age and bad knees pushed us to get away from the steps of the 5th wheel. We are happy with the class c, but I don't think we would have been had we not rented one first. For instance the one we rented had a dinette booth and a small chair. I definitely wanted a sofa to sit on at night to watch tv, not a booth.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
We started with a small class c (many yrs ago)Then went to a 29' class A this was a great unit for traveling and with twin beds it doubled well for a hunting cabin. Then we had a 29' TT that was our place on Lk. Erie for fishing. Then another Class A DP 35' this rig served us well for 10 yrs. and we travled all around the country over 100,000 miles. We decided that we we would not travel as long or as far and opted for a 35' TT. That worked well for a couple of years but when we decided that we had found our winter home destination we came across a park model at our winter site and bought it. We decided this summer that we really liked the convienience of the Class A and bought a 35' Newmar.
A 5er was never really an option for us because of the steps inside and out.
We have found the 35' length to be very good for us and fills our needs for traveling, getting in to most campgrounds, storage and roominess when set up not to mention the ease of setting up and tear down. We opted to go gas because of the price difference and the fact that we are not traveling the distance we once did. I have to say that at first I was quite disappointed in the handling of the F52 Chassis and spent nearly 2,000 on suspension upgrades. Now even though it is not the DP ride it is quite a good handling rig. We have a small home base home a park model trailer and the class A so we have quite a selection. If someone said now just choose 1 it would be a Class A DP. But so far I have all my playthings .
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We were not "frequent" travelers in either of the two motor-homes we owned. We started out with an older 26' Class C to "try the lifestyle". We enjoyed the lifestyle but really hated the Class C. The cab was cramped, needed a step-down from the living area and I kept hitting my head on the overhead bed when moving from the living area to the driver's seat.

It has other issues due to its age - very poor gas mileage from the carburated 460 engine and a poor interior design that made it very cramped. We sold it after less than a full season and bought a gently-used, 8-year old 32' Class A. We found it through an ad in our local paper. The original owners were selling it because of developing medical problems.

We loved the roominess, liked the 8mpg gas mileage and the overall comfort, particularly the ability to include the driving area as part of the "house" when parked. We had 4 good seasons with it, but it was gobbling a lot of $4.50/gallon gas, which we couldn't afford. We sold it and discontinued the lifestyle.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to say to go with a smaller 5'ver to save money, but now I see the steps are an issue.

Sounds like you have a solid plan. For me I would go with a small C and make sure you have levelers on it. The next question you'll have to ask yourself is if you're going to go with a tow car or not.

I think you're going to find out that you're still dealing with a lot of monkey business by staying in the MH RV world for short term traveling.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
NMB/Cherry Grove area is so nice.

Your wife's comment had me cracking up ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ But it is so true tho ๐Ÿ™‚
Stairs can just be a stinking misery for so many. I have a rancher home and hate stairs and even those few stairs in the 5th drove me nuts HA

Keep searching, you will find what suits you to a T and enjoy the heck out of it.

You know also since you said you will travel 2-3 weeks at a time, about 2-3 times a year.....you might still consider a travel trailer in that with a Class A or C you have alot more worries as in taking care of another motor. Vehicle taxes etc. are higher. Oil changes and all that. BUT if you are all about trading in your truck for a smaller vehicle also, then the Class A and C becomes a good option again..........ok just throwing out thoughts LOL ๐Ÿ™‚

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Both will be small compared to your 5th wheel. C will be fine for short trips but lacks the storage of Class A.
Kevin