cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dogs in RV

KAYPAY
Explorer
Explorer
We have been off the road for a few years but now ready to travel again but now we have a dog. For you fellow dog lovers what do you do with your dog when you are out of the vehicle and can,t take your dog like a restaurant or store. In some area it is illegal to leave a pet in a vehicle. Looking for answers. Thanks
Diane and Keith
2004 Roadtrek P190
28 REPLIES 28

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I travel with three dogs and take them everywhere. They love the truck and feel safe in the cab or the back. Hot weather can be a challenge. I rarely leave them in the RV when we are not there. There are plenty of restaurants now that allow dogs at outside tables.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a case in point...
I have probably the worst knee west of the Mississippi. My first total knee replacement went south when they put in a Cobalt Chromium knee that I was deathly allergic to. They cut my leg off the second time and put in a ceramic knee that, while it functions, it doesn't work well.

For me to even get out of my car I have to be able to swing the door all the way open. This enables me to swing my right leg out. Very few conventional parking spaces provide enough space to do so. Once I am out I can walk without an apparent limp. I also have serious nerve damage in my right foot and every step is painful.

I'm not looking for sympathy, you can get used to just about anything, but the point is at first glance I do not appear to have a physical handicap. If there are spaces that provide enough clearance I will use them instead of handicapped place but if I come back to my car and someone has parked close I now have a problem just getting back into my car.

Believe me, I would be more than happy to trade my handicapped plates for a fully functioning knee and the elimination of the nerve pain.

:C

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
rjxj wrote:
Sit in a parking lot some time and watch the people that park in the handicapped spots. I dont need to say more.

The assumption being that all qualifying disabilities are immediately observable? I prefer not to judge on such limited information.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, when we had a dog while camping, we never left it alone. Someone would stay with the dog if people were going to do tourist things. When we went on trips that we knew we would all want to leave the campsite, we put the dog in a trusted kennel or had neighbors "dogsit" at our house.

Many, many times over the years we experienced the "our dog never barks" dog in a neighboring campsite when the owners went off for hours to enjoy themselves.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Please don't abuse "service dog" vests. The few, very few, people who legitimately have service dogs need them for day to day living.

Don't get me started on "therapy dogs"....

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
Sit in a parking lot some time and watch the people that park in the handicapped spots. I dont need to say more. ME ME ME.....Mom said so.

Yes, it IS very "me me me" to assume you can sit in judgment of someone simply by watching them walk from a parking space into a store.

It's also very "me me me" to fake a service dog.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
Sit in a parking lot some time and watch the people that park in the handicapped spots. I dont need to say more. ME ME ME.....Mom said so.

You can't always tell by just watching someone park and walk into the store. My father would have probably looked fine to you... but with his bad heart, how far he had to walk made a huge difference.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
NMDriver wrote:
I did not go anywhere my dogs could not go or one of us stayed with the dogs while the other went in for things like a DR appt. or to shop for supplies.

Buy one of those service dog vests and take them along just about anywhere. You can even get the service dog certificate on line ๐Ÿ™‚

Even if you are kidding and it does not sound like it, this is the worst advice I have ever seen on this Forum and nothing to joke about. The folks that cheat and buy a jacket and fake certificate online should be prosecuted for fraud.

Do you also recommend getting a fake Handicapped parking placard? That little stunt usually comes with a $1,000 fine when you get caught.

:M

Sit in a parking lot some time and watch the people that park in the handicapped spots.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Our two Beagles either stay at home or go with us, understand that home is a 32โ€™ 5th wheel. If we going out to eat they stayed home, if we are going out on an adventure they travel with us, if they canโ€™t go in to an attraction we make sure they are safe and cool or warm or donโ€™t go.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a decade in a Roadtrek 190P with our fur-kid. He was 70-ish pounds, rode on the bed in a dog seatbelt harness, well-behaved. In warm weather we would leave the genny running with A/C on, but also had the roof vent open and the Fantastic Fan thermostat set to come on if the temp got hot as a back-up, since that was 12v. Now our "youngster" travels in the B+, has the run of the rig if we are out, we use the same system, but the interior space is much larger, so stays cool much longer, as it is better insulated than the B, also. Always leave food and especially water available for them. I place a laminated sign in the window with our cell phone number so if someone does have a concern they can call us. Do the same thing with the toad. Never have gotten a call, tho... ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
X3. Gee, NMD! Youโ€™re a piece of work!

If a woman can get kicked off the airlines for having rowdy emotional support pig, this guy should be able to take his dog anywhere he likes.

3" letters " support dog in training"

Take that dog anywhere, and only a up tight dog hater would say anything about it.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
NMD:
I can not believe what you are proposing people do to accommodate their pets that can't be legally brought into public places like food facilities. When I was still working as a public health inspector one of my duties was to make sure that only service dogs or other such animals were indeed properly certified and didn't receive it online or other such means. If I found anyone illegally presenting an animal( dog, cat, bird, goat, etc) as a service animal I would make sure they would promptly remove the animal from the premises, issue a citation to the offender and have that person tell the story to the judge. Maximum fine is now $1,000 and/or 1 year in jail.

Please rethink what information you're putting out there.