cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PERPLEXING OVEN PROBLEM

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
New Saburban oven purchased this year off Amazon. Pilot lights fine and burns bright. I dial up temp and burner comes on no problems. I reach desired temp and burner lowers in brightness and pilot kind of "burps" going on & off. Then both pilot & burner shut off. Thermacouple? Or do these symptoms suggest something else to you? This unit hasa two year warranty but I hate takin my rig into a dealer and being hit with some not covered charge. Any thoughts?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
18 REPLIES 18

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I removed my oven and took it in to LAURELHURST DISTRIBUTORs, here in Portland Oregon, for warranty on the pilot orphis. They knew exactly what to do and spent considerable time bench testing. Even fixed the oven door so it is smooth. NO CHARGE.. Hats off to Laurelhurst for a job well done. It is reinstalled and works flawlessly
Oasis Bob
2018 Ford Explorer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Oasisbob wrote:
I sent Suburban an E mail Monday explaining everything. No response. Called this morning. They claim there is a problem and WILL NOT AND NEVER HAVE sent out replacement parts. I have to pull my HTT into an authorized service center. They tell me there will be an aditional charge. Thanks Suburban. I went with this brand due to really bad customer service from Atwood.

I am a RV Service Technician. Ask them if they will give you the Part number SELL you the part or use the Part Number to go thru a retailer to buy the part. That is cheaper than dragging the RV into a Service center. NOT bad customer service. They do NOT want the liability of having an inexperienced, untrained person working on a LP system/appliance. We do NOT allow customers to get warranty parts over the counter for Water issues or LP issues due to Liability. Doug

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
So I am aparently being forced to take my rig into a dealer for authorized service. This is a first for me. Do you guys empty out your rigs of valuables when you take it in or video or? Like I said this is a first
Oasis Bob
2018 Ford Explorer

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I sent Suburban an E mail Monday explaining everything. No response. Called this morning. They claim there is a problem and WILL NOT AND NEVER HAVE sent out replacement parts. I have to pull my HTT into an authorized service center. They tell me there will be an aditional charge. Thanks Suburban. I went with this brand due to really bad customer service from Atwood.
Oasis Bob
2018 Ford Explorer

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doug. I will call Monday morning. You guys rock.
Oasis Bob
2018 Ford Explorer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The Pilot ASSBLY has a fault and Suburban can explain the Fault. I just call them with the symptoms and they send me a replacement Pilot assbly. Doug

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you my friend. My symptoms mirror yours. I could take it in under warranty but there is aditional charges from the dealer so I might be money ahead to try a few things. Number one being pilot asembly. It is a small gamble.
Oasis Bob
2018 Ford Explorer

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oasisbob wrote:
So I could change out the pilot assembly, however, the pilot lights fine and burns bright initally. Could the pilot orphis be closing up as it heats? As I said previously the pilot light kind of "burps" prior to it and burner going out. And since they go out and gas stops flowing would that dismiss the thermacouple? I really apreciate your input on this evan though I may not sound like it questioning your advice. What are your thoughts?

I can't explain how a possibly undersized orifice was causing my problem. Maybe there was something else wrong with the pilot assembly. I don't know.

All I know is the following:

After 2 years of proper functioning, the burner and the pilot would go out when the oven reached the desired temp. I think when reaching the desired temp, the pilot should remain on and the burner should also remain on, but at a minimum flame level, until heat is once again called for.

When I replaced the pilot assembly, the problem was fixed. The pilot assembly was around $12, easily found on the web, and not too difficult to replace.

Good luck.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
So I could change out the pilot assembly, however, the pilot lights fine and burns bright initally. Could the pilot orphis be closing up as it heats? As I said previously the pilot light kind of "burps" prior to it and burner going out. And since they go out and gas stops flowing would that dismiss the thermacouple? I really apreciate your input on this evan though I may not sound like it questioning your advice. What are your thoughts?
Oasis Bob
2018 Ford Explorer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Replace the Pilot assbly. Doug

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Clean the thermocouple. Put a rag under it and blast the area with carburetor cleaner.
I've fixed several of them this way.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the same problem this year with our 3 year old Suburban. I replaced the pilot assembly on the advice of a forum member who said that Suburban had received a bad batch of pilots with an orifice that was too small. The problem went away after I replaced the pilot assembly, but not the thermocouple. However, I can't explain why the supposedly defective pilot assembly (orifice) worked fine for 2 years.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Only takes a minute to check and adjust it.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
The gas flow seems tine as the pilot & burner will both work well for quite a few minutes. Then the pilot begins burping. So if the pilot flame is not placed dead center in the thermacouple why would the burner come on initially? This is the part of the problem that perplexes me
Oasis Bob
2018 Ford Explorer