cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DuallyValve, Braided, Crossfires, Cats Eye

TripleClamp
Explorer
Explorer
To make checking and filling easier, inquirying about the various valve extension gizmos out there to replace whatever is in there now. I like the DuallyValves but not sure if they would be long enough. They said the extension is 7 inches. There is some kind of extension in there now but when you put the wheel cover on and line up the holes, it's still a pain to get to because the wheel cover adds another 1/2 inch. Anyone have these on a similar model, do they come out to the wheel cover? Any thoughts on the others welcomed as well.

2011 Coachmen Freelander 32BH
2013 Honda CRF450R
14 REPLIES 14

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
TripleClamp wrote:
What Wheel Covers to you have, that 7" inner dual valves won't reach?
As pictured above, whatever came with the RV. They just shark bite in and pound with rubber mallet to seat them.

Your simulator looks like the Dicor brand ones we have, except you have the late (2008+) sims for wheels with four oval hand holes. We have the 1992-2007 wheels with eight useless round holes, so our sims have eight small holes. We have plenty of reach, without needing any extension, to check and air up our tires.

You'll be pleased! We had one of the worst setups: Rubber valves with metal extenders. I tried everything to check and add air. Tried to hold the valves with needle nose vice grips, usually gave up and took the sims off. That's part of why I went for a "complete" solution. I can check air with any gauge, and add air with any chuck.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
TripleClamp wrote:
Thanks. What about balancing? The tech at Dually said since the inner tire valve stem is so long, they can't close the balancing machine. I've never seen a balancing machine so I'm not sure what she is referring to. It has to be balanced different. They then explained these beads bags you throw in the tire to balance it.

the balance machine at Les Schawb the tire store I used didn't use a closed balancing machine. Dick

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Once installed, Borg etc. extensions stay on the wheels with tire changes. RV tires are not normally rotated. RV Tires can become unsafe after 4-6 years by date codes and should be replaced as a set of six when sidewalls have serious cracking. You will quickly forget cost of good solid metal valve extensions.

TripleClamp
Explorer
Explorer
Will do. Will just have to order a set and see how they fit with the wheel covers on.

>>What Wheel Covers to you have, that 7" inner dual valves won't reach?

As pictured above, whatever came with the RV. They just shark bite in and pound with rubber mallet to seat them.
2013 Honda CRF450R

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
TC, Take it from a Hold-Out. Get custom valves and get them installed. Had ours installed and balanced at the local Navy Base and they had no problems with the balancer. New tires at Discount Tire, no problem there. Navy wouldn't work on the MH, so I put the coach up on stands and brought them all seven wheels. Discount would work on it, but it was easier for me to have it on stands and again bring them just the wheels.
CAUTION!!! I didn't just happen to have it up on stands, or put it on stands for tires at Discount. I was replacing rear brake calipers and saw two tires failing with cracks down in the tread ribs. It was THEN that I fumbled an Inner and it fell on that long stem. I din't have a cap on it, so it buggered the actual Core area. That was when I called Bill at Dually Valve and he sent me a free replacement that arrived next day.
I installed ordinary metal truck valves on front and spare. The Ford wheel shape kept me from getting the air chuck on the short valves I'd gotten so I was using an extension to check air. Removed extension and replaced cap when done. Then I got the "Gator" aka "V2B" Airless Caps and found they provide the little bit of extension needed with short metal valves. It's a Cap in itself so you don't need to add one. Dually and T-M both sell six wheel kits with angled valves for the fronts. You really don't need those with slightly longer ordinary valves or even short valves plus Gator Cap.
Wife was sitting out when I unlocked the cab door, got the gauge, checked six tires and two air bags then mut the gauge away, all in about ONE MINUTE. Only 'cause I already had my glasses on.
Extensions put weight on your valves. They also offer a point of potential leakage.
What Wheel Covers to you have, that 7" inner dual valves won't reach?

TripleClamp
Explorer
Explorer
What about a small straight extension on the 7" extension if it can't get out past the wheel cover.

Milton 440 Truck Valve Extension 1-3/8"
2013 Honda CRF450R

TripleClamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. What about balancing? The tech at Dually said since the inner tire valve stem is so long, they can't close the balancing machine. I've never seen a balancing machine so I'm not sure what she is referring to. It has to be balanced different. They then explained these beads bags you throw in the tire to balance it.
2013 Honda CRF450R

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
The wheel covers cause much of the difficulty. When we were planning our Alaska trip last summer, our solution was to leave the wheel simulators at home.
With the decorative covers off, and flow-through valve stem caps, checking becomes relatively easy.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
I feel dually valves we had installed at a local tire store was the best money I have spent on my MH. Go with Dually Valves or Tire Man. Dick

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
i had the dually valve on my class a and i now have a 2011 freelander 21 and i immediately put them on it. would not be without them.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Been to two CW stores in the last month and they had what JD shows on an end isle discounted. Think they are going with different brand ?

I bought the Tire Man set up on the last RV ,, paid in the neighborhood of $155 for them delivered.

The ones like JD shows I paid $46+ tax for them.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Workhorse P32 chassis coach and installed a set of crossfires last summer, and while I do like them installation was a complex juggling act, and I dread ever having to remove and reinstall them.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
This is the Dually Valve Kit for the rear wheels of a 2008 or newer Ford Class C chassis. Looks like this:

I mention this because these "Borg" valves were the first solution I found, probably 8 years ago. I had them installed on the rear wheels, and ordinary metal truck tire valves in the fronts and spare. Then I added the Air-Through Caps as noted above, available at Amazon, NAPA, lots of places.
I don't think you can goof the choice between DuallyValve/Borg and TireMan. Borg was the choice I found, they've served faultlessly, and they rushed me a replacement when I ruined one doing brake work.
Personally, I recommend this type of solution. One piece installation NOT tied to wheel covers. Some like Borg, others like others, but we agree on this: No Better Solution! Just Do It!

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the Tire Man Extended Valve Stems,the original creator of them.

Have no problem checking the air,plus they come with Flow Thru Valve Stem Caps that make them even easier to check and also extends the valve stem even more.

Click For Full-Size Image.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C