cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaf springs flat on 2015 Aerolite 294RKSS

ldellmiddleton
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Aerolite 294RKSS travel trailer that was purchased new on Feb.14, 2015. The leaf springs have flattened to the point that my service tech says that it is dangerous to put on the road.Anybody else having leaf spring trouble?
11 REPLIES 11

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem on our 2014 FR Cherokee and tires started rubbing the bottom of trailer. I ended up having the whole suspension system replaced last winter, going from 3,500 lb axles to 5,200 lb axles.

The shop I found to do this takes your old parts in on trade to reduce cost. This shop is about 150 miles east of your location. Send me a PM and I'll give you details.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
The tempering process can be tricky. It possible to get a bad batch. Too hard and they break, too soft and the flatten.

Sometimes heavier spring pack involve moving the outside purchases, if that is too much bother, have them add a second main.

You need new springs and more of them.
Adventure before dementia

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
When off warranty and/or fixing axle area problems, I alway +1 "up size" its leaf springs packs. And where possible, upgrade the axle as well. For example, replace factory 3.,000 lbs axle with mew 3,600 lbs axle. And, upgrade with 3,600 lbs leaf spring packs as well.

Remember that many trailer makers subtract 13% off the Trailer's GVW number (assume 13% weight is on the Tow Vehicle's hitch), then divide remaining number by the number of axles. On the "white board", it appears the smaller axle / small leaf spring packs are the correct size. And, save RV maker parts money. Maybe true for some lawyers as well. But IMO (being a certified Engineer), the factory axle and leaf spring packs are "under sized" for the trailer's GVW number. Thus, why I always "up size" without using the 13% Tow Vehicle hitch weight number.

Like I always tell my wife and others... Better to be over engineered / over safe instead of at minimum factory build specs (and risk leaf spring pack breaks across double railway tracks). But, that's a topic for a different post....

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Average Shipping Weight (lbs.) 6,748
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs.) 803
Cargo Capacity (lbs.) 852

There's your problem. 852 lbs for CCC. Guessing you've been running over the TT's GVWR the last two years.
Just running with the fresh tank (78 gal) full would use up most of your CCC.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Mine went flat in 2 years replaced with 7000Lbs springs instead of the 5200 and wet bolts from Etrailer.com.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Order a wet bolt kit with bronze bushings when you get new leaf springs. You will be surprised how worn out the plastic garbage they pass off as bushings are.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
none in 30 years of towing
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Mine were 15 years old. Previous owner upgraded from 3500 lb axles to 4400 lb but kept the original springs. Towing on the bumpy road to mexico one started to flatten and both ends of the second over hanging leaf broke off.

Replaced 1 to get home, once home replaced all with 4400 lb springs to match the axles.

On the scales the TT was at 7000 or slightly above if tanks full +~400 lbs.

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I had flat and broken springs on my current trailer. Even the new ones were too flat. I don't believe the springs sold now meet their rated specs as I was never overweight. Go with a higher load spring to retain the appropriate spring arch. In my case going from 1,750 lbs PR-4B springs on 3500 lbs axles to 2,400 lbs PR-4 springs restored the arch and raised my trailer 2".
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes and was causing alignment troubles too. I also put on heavier springs and upgraded the suspension. Has never ridden better.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the original Dexter Axles and leaf springs for 20 years.
My trailer was at least 1000lbs overloaded. The springs never flattened out but one did break on a tight off camber turn. Luckily it happened close to home so I was able to get the trailer home without a problem..

I replaced all 4 springs with the next size up from dexter (old were 6,000 lb springs -- new springs are 8000 lb springs).