cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A RV battery drains while pulling tow vehicle

raymarco
Explorer
Explorer
When driving my class A while towing my corolla, I stopped at a rest area, shut the RV off and the battery was almost dead. This has happened twice recently. I have the tow vehicle key turned on to unlock the steering, but disconnect the battery at the negative terminal. Any suggestions welcome.
Ray & Marlice
Tampa, Florida
11 REPLIES 11

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
raymarco wrote:
Toad not wired up to the coach. I use magnetic lights on the roof, 4 pin connected to RV.
Will check batteries and alternator. Thanks

Swap those bulbs in the tow lights with LED or by a new set of LED tow lights (not much $). They will use about 1/10th the power, which is good in the long run anyways, even if that isn't your current problem ๐Ÿ˜‰

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Are you using an adapter on coach or is a straight flat four?
Sounds more and more like bad coach batteries.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

raymarco
Explorer
Explorer
Toad not wired up to the coach. I use magnetic lights on the roof, 4 pin connected to RV.
Will check batteries and alternator. Thanks
Ray & Marlice
Tampa, Florida

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Also - check out the status of your coach batteries - when your driving the alternator is trying to charge both sets of batteries and if your coach batteries are in bad shape the alternator may not be sufficient.

I would have the alternator and both sets of batteries checked out - most places will do for free.
Kevin

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Alternator could still be weak.
What type of umbilical cord do you have connecting the toad?
I am still thinking problem in toad connection.
It could be a combination of issues. Maybe weak batteries in coach along with draw from toad.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Oh no! The dreaded double post syndrome, sorry.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing what type of connector is mounted on your RV and how it is wired, makes diagnosis very difficult. if you have a four wire connector on the towed and the RV, there isn't much the towed can do to drain your RV battery.

My Bounder had a 125amp alternator and that will run a lot of stuff if yours is close to that. I'd check to se if there is something causing the charge control of the RV to open when you're towing. Maybe it's time for a trusted mechanic to check your alternator and charge control circuits.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

raymarco
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the quick responses. When the RV is not towing or when in storage, it starts quickly.
Would that be the case with a bad alternator?
Ray & Marlice
Tampa, Florida

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the (-) phase connection off, on the toad battery, your MH battery may be powering the toad and your MH. That may be more than the alternator delivers or may indicate a weak MH battery.

When you're parking for the night, I'd suggest to connect the toad battery back together and run the MH for a bit. That will charge the toad battery and you will then be towing with two batteries.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What happens when not towing?
It could be an issue with MH to toad connection. Is there a charge line going to toad?
Yes, it could be a weak or failing alternator.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps your alternator isn't putting out a proper charge.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE