cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

22.5 Wheel size ?????

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 07 Coachmen Cross Country 389DS. I am wanting to purchase a new wheel to be used as a spare. I know I need a 22.5 x 8.25, I know it is 10 lug. My question is what is a "pilot wheel" ? Are there any numbers that i am missing ? or do I need to just order a 22.5x 8.25 10 lug wheel. I thought I knew what I needed until i got to researching them. Can someone point me in the right direction? any help is greatly appreciated.
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2007 Coachmen Cross Country 389DS
300 HP Cummins Turbo Charged
03 Sahara Jeep Wrangler & 05 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll
17 REPLIES 17

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You know you have really heavy tires and wheels when you need one of these...

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve never heard of a case of that. What truck has an axle like that?
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Usually when the inner wheels are steel, itโ€™s because the owner didnโ€™t want to spend the extra money on Alcoas for the inside. You can install longer studs if needed.

Not quite. If the wheels are Hub Piloted, the portion of the Hub that does the actual centering, AND the load bearing, may not be broad enough to support the outer wheel if the inner wheel is overly thick.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
As said before, there are two kinds of mounting: hub piloted that use big hole for centering and use nuts with flat washers and stud piloted that use conical nuts for centering.
Chances are the wheel you are trying to match is made by Accuride and will have part number stamped on the inside of the wheel together with max load and max pressure data.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Truck wheels are either โ€œstud pilotโ€ or โ€œhub pilotโ€.
That means they either center themselves on the lug nuts, or they center themselves on the hub, by the big center hole.
Stud piloted wheels have beveled holes for the lug nuts, and use matching beveled lug nuts.
Hub piloted wheels donโ€™t.
Usually when the inner wheels are steel, itโ€™s because the owner didnโ€™t want to spend the extra money on Alcoas for the inside.
You can install longer studs if needed.

Nothing looks as good as a set of polished Alcoas, I wonโ€™t roll on anything else on my pickup or big-trucks!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
The wheel needs to have the same OFFSET as the originals. Wheels on dual wheeled vehicles always have Offset. Among other things, the correct Offset allows the correct clearance between the sidewalls of the rear tires.

Yes, . . . and in some cases (usually not on truck chassis) the offset is also required because of needed clearance for the brake drum/discs and/or calipers so that they don't contact the wheels. Also, in some cases, a certain offset (and wheel width) is required so that the tires/wheels don't contact the front inner fender wells or other suspension components when turning sharply.

In short, not every wheel fits every application because it's the same size. Always do a dry fit before you buy wheels unless they are EXACTLY the same as what they replace.

Chum lee

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A "hub piloted" wheel carries the weight of the axle on the center hole not on the wheel studs/nuts. It is machines to fit the hub precisely.

To mount dual aluminum wheels the studs have to be long enough.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
i detest RVs that have different front and rear wheels
like some do, this used to be common on Class C

Agreed! I don't want Alcoa's for that reason as well. Either the center hole shoulder on the Rear Hub isn't wide enough for two thick alloy wheels to pilot onto, Or the Studs aren't long enough. So Class C's, probably some pickups, and I've seen it on a diesel pusher, the inner rears are still steel when Alcoa's are installed. I've heard some Alloy Wheels are polished on only the side that shows when installed. Three different kinds of wheels for ONE RV? Hardly the Simple Life we hope for on the road.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 10 nuts can be "pilot" and "hub pilot". Pilot are large nuts with a taper on one side that centers the Rim on the 10 bolts. Hub pilot is centered by the large center hole and the nuts are smaller and flat faced. You probably have hub pilot. The Rim in your picture looks to be a hub pilot as I cannot see any taper in the holes but it is a poor picture.
Your rims can be used in all positions.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

MrWizard
on my Safari, all six 22.5" wheels are identical
the rear dual's are the same rims as the front

i detest RVs that have different front and rear wheels
like some do, this used to be common on Class C

but i did not think that it is still common

i'm on my 5th class A starting with a 1972 life Time on a dodge chassis

every one has had six identical wheels
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I had to change wheels when I changed to 11x22.5" The front wheels on Quicksilver absolutely will not even begin to fit the rear except if they are single not dual use say for an emergency. Limping on one wheel instead of duals. j-d's answer works for me ๐Ÿ™‚

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
The wheel needs to have the same OFFSET as the originals. If the part of the wheel with the pilot hole and lug holes was centered on the width of the rim, it would have Zero Offset. Wheels on dual wheeled vehicles always have Offset. Among other things, the correct Offset allows the correct clearance between the sidewalls of the rear tires.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I think the front wheels will not fit on the rear and visa versa.
Also with a tire mounted it will be extremely heavy. Not one I would want to handle.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
All I could afford wrote:
Pilot hole is basically the big hole in the center. Test that whatever rim you buy before storing it away

This is the wheel I am looking at. So as long as it will fit front and rear axle i should be good to go then.
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2007 Coachmen Cross Country 389DS
300 HP Cummins Turbo Charged
03 Sahara Jeep Wrangler & 05 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll