Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where To Buy? 22AWG 7 Conductor Wire For Shunt Lead Extend

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Could be 20AWG or 24. Can be 8 leads. But different colors. I need to add 25'

Thermostat wire is solid conductor. A bit leery of exposing it to vibration - the conductors are tiny.
13 REPLIES 13

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I'd better not go with Chinisium or Thaitanium, but stick with Cu. 25' otter do it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Note You can get Cat 5/6 Cable both in "Bulk" (No Ends) and "Assembled" in assorted lengths.

You can get screw connection jacks (Radio Shack used to have 'em) and/or Punch Down jacks... Might make extending the cable very very very easy .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I use paste flux from Home Depot to solder Cu clad Al. none of my 50 year old soldered to tin plated aluminum work has corroded yet. Have had excellent results with soldering duplex Cu Al. Just as easy as soldering new copper. A blip covers the exposed cut end of the wire just like a solid copper wire. I was shocked to find it was this easy. Use the paste flux and grin. The corrosion thing on non SMD to me is like campfire stories of Sasquatch. Many decades of soldering 18-20 AWG do not lie. Now the liquid acid is Mr Hyde personified. I was forced to use it once on an old International Harvester bulldozer with a 3/0 cable that traveled inside track channels to Nightmare, Nebraska. It worked but neutralizing it was a chore.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for cat 6 cable. 24 awg utp is what you're after.

China's finest in copper clad aluminum or 4x the cost for American made pure-ish copper. I find it hard to solder to the aluminum stuff.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Lots of cat 5 wire (but not all) is not multconductor. It generally depends on whether it's intended for use in walls or racks (not multiconductor) or to connect computers to those things, I suspect.

All Cat 5/6 wire is multi conductor, not all is stranded conductor as opposed to solid conductor.

You're right, and correctly stated what I was attempting to write (but obviously did not). Thanks for pointing out and fixing the confusion.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
Lots of cat 5 wire (but not all) is not multconductor. It generally depends on whether it's intended for use in walls or racks (not multiconductor) or to connect computers to those things, I suspect.

"Alarm cable" or "Security/alarm cable" is generally stranded and is readily available from various sources. It's rated at higher (line) voltages--and lower frequencies--than cat5/5e/6 wire. Most commonly it comes in four conductors or so, but is available with more including eight.

All Cat 5/6 wire is multi conductor, not all is stranded conductor as opposed to solid conductor.
If you are extending a t-stat, use t-stat wire. If solid conductor t-stat wire was affected by vibration nearly every furnace / AC would not be working.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
How about thermostat wire.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Time to hunt down an easy to use proxy. Live & learn.

Thanks folks.

Tunnel Bear. For โ€˜liteโ€™ users itโ€™s free, for more bandwidth itโ€™s cheap. Itโ€™s top-drawer stuff.

I routinely acces โ€˜politically sensitiveโ€™ sites from Cuba, no problem. It works, VERY well, โ€˜nuff said.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer

"Alarm cable" or "Security/alarm cable" is generally stranded and is readily available from various sources. It's rated at higher (line) voltages--and lower frequencies--than cat5/5e/6 wire. Most commonly it comes in four conductors or so, but is available with more including eight.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I just learned a lesson...

eBay from Mexico is not eBay from the USA. It's nuts. In English with lots of sites missing, even USA and Chinese stuff and this eBay is in English.

Time to hunt down an easy to use proxy. Live & learn.

Thanks folks.

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve used cat V in several installations, works well just kinda messy. Just installed a Victron unit, they use a data cable you just plug into the shunt & meter, run one wire to battery positive, very neat. Also, with the dongle has Bluetooth capability, donโ€™t even need the "install" the meter.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Electronics supply houses.. Alas the one I used to use is no longer open to the public Let me check one ohter

www.allelectronics.com has Cat 5 and cat 6 24awg cables 8 wire

These are standard computer cables by the way (LAN cables) used for data transmission.. Green Green with stripe.. Orange Orange with stripe and so on.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Home improvement store would be easiest/cheapest; look in the irrigation section for sprinkler control wiring. Solid conductor should hold up fine, IMO. Otherwise, Google 8-conductor stranded wire; lots of results.
Here's some
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II