cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator front cover on a motorhome

Mtn_Mike1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor and just noticed that the front cover for the generator was out of alignment so I attempted to tighten the screws that hold the cover on.
I discovered that under the fiberglass they had used wood and the wood was rotten.
I only have one solid screw and the others are removable by hand.
How can I attach the screws without drilling and running carriage bolts to the outside of the cover which will then show from outside?
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor pushed by a 2013 Mazda Miata
7 REPLIES 7

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I would do as Kevin suggested or you could reinforce the current mounts by mounting a tin plate over the wood support. Screw the tin plate on into areas of good wood and then use your original screws to screw back into the tin plate.

You could also enlarge the area where the screws goes with a wood bit to about 3/4" or 1", fill with a repair material like resin or hard as nails, allow to dry and then reinstall screws.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just had a similar issue last week while coming home I noticed my LH headlight wavering back and forth, the screws were lose in the rotted wood, tried a temporary fix on the road but it did not hold. When I got home I removed the rotted wood with an Allen wrench and installed new wood sections that would fit into the elongated hole in the FG that covered the wood, then added epoxy to hold the wood in place. The screws hold securely now. On your cover if you can access the rotted area you can always remove the FG overlay and rotted wood and place new wood there and in cover it with FG and epoxy. The wood and screws take all the load the FG just holds the wood in place.

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
I responded to your post in the RV Forums.
Basically told you the same thing Kevin did. I fixed mine on my boat engine cover myself.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

KevinE
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 02 Endeavor with the same issue. Over the winter I plan to repair it the same way it was built. Take some good measurements as to where the original blocks were, cut the fiberglass around them, sand smooth, place new pressure treated lumber in, and fiberglass over them. Not a very difficult job, just a little messy and will make you itch some??. Other option, find a body shop that will do glass work.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Mtn.Mike wrote:
I have a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor and just noticed that the front cover for the generator was out of alignment so I attempted to tighten the screws that hold the cover on.
I discovered that under the fiberglass they had used wood and the wood was rotten.
I only have one solid screw and the others are removable by hand.
How can I attach the screws without drilling and running carriage bolts to the outside of the cover which will then show from outside?

well I would use the carriage bolts and just paint them if not install plastic inserts just like for a screw into drywall or cement

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Then use touch up paint.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
fill the holes with epoxy