cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transmission circulation on 4 wheels down

Rstoney51
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2009 Ford Taurus X FWD that I have been told could be towed 4 wheels down. We have towed it for over 2000 miles and am having to replace or rebuild trans. I want to know if there is a pump to help circulate the fluid while being towed. Thanks in advance! It has only 40,000 miles on it. Yes I have.
7 REPLIES 7

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer
Some "modern automatics" that are flat towable do not rely on the internal pump to lubricate the moving parts while being towed. For example , the GM six speeds that are flat towable have "slingers" on the axle shafts which spray or "sling" the oil either directly on the moving parts or on to stamped metal trays which direct the oil to the needed area. The motion of the axle shaft is all that is needed to provide the lubrication.
Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Not sure why you quoted me when I didn't refer to anything like that.

My mistake.

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We have flat towed our 2008 Ford Taurus X FWD over 80,000 miles since we got it in the spring of 2008 without any problems following the procedures outlined in the owners manual. You either got a bad one or have problems unrelated to it being towed.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
If your Taurus had a bit over 100 to 150K, that's a normal time for a trans rebuild under normal circumstances.
Also, a rebuilder should be able to tell you if towing it had anything to do with the failure.

No "modern" automatic, even non-electronic ones, make enough pressure from the "governor" to adequately circulate fluid in an automatic.

The problem with an electric pump is making sure that the tow vehicle is supplying adequate voltage for it to operate and that the pump does NOT restricting the flow when the vehicle is being operated normally.

Not sure why you quoted me when I didn't refer to anything like that.
If some other company like Remco says it's flat towable than they probably know better than us. I suspect they are right because a trans that is not towable wouldn't last anything close to 2000 miles. Also, trans that make enough pressure on their own often do so through they're own internal pump.
I dont know how the Taurus works.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
If your Taurus had a bit over 100 to 150K, that's a normal time for a trans rebuild under normal circumstances.
Also, a rebuilder should be able to tell you if towing it had anything to do with the failure.

No "modern" automatic, even non-electronic ones, make enough pressure from the "governor" to adequately circulate fluid in an automatic.

The problem with an electric pump is making sure that the tow vehicle is supplying adequate voltage for it to operate and that the pump does NOT restricting the flow when the vehicle is being operated normally.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If your Taurus had a bit over 100 to 150K, that's a normal time for them to get a trans rebuild under normal circumstances.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Remco

According to FMCA that model is towable. Did you do all the things the owner's manual said to do?
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox