cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prep for trip..

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every year we take our big trip at Christmas. This will be our first year with the TT. On the old motorhome I would spend a couple of long days changing fluids and crawling all over it. But, when I look at the TT there's just not that much to do. I'll check tire pressures, do a good walk around, check for water leaks, check electrical system, check heat and water heater.. Am I missing anything? All of that will take an hour.

I just did a big service on the Suburban and it's ready to go.

Sure is nice not to have all the work that goes with a motorhome.
20 REPLIES 20

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
As for the bearings . It depends on how many miles you put on. I am just a weekend camper that stays close to home. My annual inspection for the bearings is to jack up a wheel and spin it while listening closely. If it sounds noisy it's time to take it apart and find out why. I tow about 1300 miles a year. Every 5 years I will take things apart and repack. (Or have my local mechanic do it)

Trailering_Texa
Explorer
Explorer
Can you hook up to shore power and city water? Run all the systems, AC, shower, stove, microwave. Look for water leaks and make sure your batteries hold power.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I do, I use a high tech tool, the back of my hand. Also look at the tire edges to see if the air pressure is correct.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you stop, do you walk around and feel the hubs for excessive heat?

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
jamesu wrote:
MarkTwain wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
did you put in tools to change a flat? and a spare?

I carry the tools and a 8 ton hydrolic jack and have for 20 yrs. and have never used them and don't have any plans to do so. I use Good Sam Emergency Roadside Assistance services for all my tire issues.

I carry the same + a short handle shovel Have used the jack 2x over the years, both times in isolated spots with no cell coverage and I was on my own to change a TT blowout. The shovel was essential to dig a “well” so I could get the flat off and the spare on. The shovel saved my bacon.

Good point when you don't have cell phone service!! And yes I have changed tires gone bad when on the road but my preference is to call GS Emergency Roadside service:)

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Brakes and bearings first. I've had several trailers over the years both used and new. First thing I do when I get home with it is pull a brake drum to look and the bearings and brake pads, magnet and adjustment. On an '85 Wilderness I sware the bearings hadn't been lubed since it was new. There was grease in there but it was built up around the bearings and was hardened. Strangely the bearings and races were in good shape.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Community Alumni
Not applicable
falconbrother wrote:
The dealership said to ignore these bearings for ten years unless we really do a lot of long rang traveling.

Hahahaha! Check the Owner's Manual or call the manufacturer for more reliable information when it comes to inspecting and servicing bearings. Typically I inspect every year which is what my manufacturer calls for. This gives you a chance to not only inspect the state of the bearings, but also the grease, seals, and any signs of leaking. It doesn't take all that long to pull the hubs and inspect. You will certainly spend a lot more time on the side of the road and repairing damage when things go catastrophically wrong. The saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Even though it's a 2017, it won't hurt to check. RV manufacturers aren't the gold standard when it comes to quality control. Often times things get missed or done improperly. Not an RV manufacturer, but I once receive a new cargo trailer with empty hubs. The bearings had about a tablespoons worth the grease on them that looked a lot like Vaseline. Also the bearings that the trailers come with are the cheapest of the cheap. It's not all that common, but sometimes trailers come equipped with defective bearings.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:

I carry the tools and a 8 ton hydrolic jack and have for 20 yrs. and have never used them and don't have any plans to do so. I use Good Sam Emergency Roadside Assistance services for all my tire issues.

I carry the same + a short handle shovel Have used the jack 2x over the years, both times in isolated spots with no cell coverage and I was on my own to change a TT blowout. The shovel was essential to dig a “well” so I could get the flat off and the spare on. The shovel saved my bacon.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:
Question: For checking wheel bearings.. I have pulled hubs and greased bearings -n- such in the past, not on this RV. This trailer is a 2017 model and the bearings have been on one good trip and a few short trips. I will take them for granted for now. But, as time moves forward, do you pull the hubs off to check the wheel bearings or something less drastic. The dealership said to ignore these bearings for ten years unless we really do a lot of long rang traveling.

Your dealership is full of morons!!!! I have my bearings inspected and packed every other year. The critical issue is the seals. I have had to replace the seals twice in the last 10 yrs. Last yr. I had my bi-annual inspection, the bearings were ok but one rear seal was bad and there was grease all over the brakes and the drum. :(:(:(

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:
Question: For checking wheel bearings.. I have pulled hubs and greased bearings -n- such in the past, not on this RV. This trailer is a 2017 model and the bearings have been on one good trip and a few short trips. I will take them for granted for now. But, as time moves forward, do you pull the hubs off to check the wheel bearings or something less drastic. The dealership said to ignore these bearings for ten years unless we really do a lot of long rang traveling.

I've seen more than one new trailer with poorly packed bearing and grease on the brakes. First thing I did with my new trailer was do the bearings and it was a good thing I checked them as I think the factory though that the grease went in the brake pads instead of the bearings.

I keep track of the trailer mileage, nothing super accurate but I write down the trip mileage and like someone already stated its surprising how fast the short trips add up. If you remove the hubs to check the bearings you might as well just pack them.

I don't know about ignoring your bearings for ten years, I did some research on bearings and picked a mileage that I will pack the bearings at, had my trailer 3 years and already put 7000 miles on the trailer.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also run the fridge and the water heater on propane to make sure that they light and stay lit. The burner orifices sometimes need cleaning.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II