cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remodel project

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
I have had an RV fantasy project for quite a while but have been frozen from moving on it because I think it will make the RV very hard to sell. I have a small C (see signature info) with a corner bed and both a dinette and a jack knife sofa which are directly across from each other. I want to completely remove the dinette and replace it with a counter along the wall. Under the counter will be where 2 dog beds and their feeding station will go. Chairs would allow use as a dining table or desk.
Also I will replace the sofa with one recliner, although there would be room for 2.
I won’t ever be trading this in, I would only be selling it because I was too old to enjoy it any longer. I don’t know how far away that is. But with removing the sleeping options and the extra passenger options and some storage in the dinette benches it will only be suitable for a solo or a couple.
This is a “cream puff” rig. Only one owner, driven by a little old lady, always kept in indoor storage, all service records, blah, blah. Will it be a real hassle to sell it with these mods??
I’m not sure I care if I have to give it away but I guess that is part of my indecision.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds
14 REPLIES 14

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
If shopping for an RV I would not even bother to look at a RV that had been "molested" with such modifications.

Replacing converters with newer multi-stage ones... OK, adding a EMS system when done neatly... OK, replacing a low end vent fan with a top of the line Fantastic Vent or Maxx Air... OK, Swapping faucets to better quality or single handle, again, OK when done properly.

Even conversion of a jackknife couch to a Futon style using the same mechanism but replacing the frames/springs/upholstery... OK (as long as old parts are saved).

Major re configuring of the interior.... Sorry, I would not look at it. Besides, I like a dinette

I'm just that way,

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

grimmrlg
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the dinette from our 25' motorhome and replaced it with 2 reclining chairs and a smaller table but kept the jackknife sofa and it had over the cab queen bed. I had no problem selling it later. It went from 5 to 3 sleeping positions. I think the key here is to not make it so the number of sleeping spaces is reduced below 3 or you will severely limit your resale audience. 2 sleeper will only appeal to retired or childless couples but still sellable.

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently sold an RV and agree with the poster who said it could make it difficult to sell. I had larger class A and while we loved the layout it became apparent that pretty much everyone that inquired wanted 1 and 1/2 baths. This made the sale process long and had to sell it cheaper in the end. As this was a high end coach involving at lot if $$$, so people were pretty determined to get what they wanted. Might not be as big an issue in class C to some but it would be to me.

chorbelt
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it! Use YOUR RV how YOU want it. It's not like the dinette and couch are high end accommodations/options that are irreplaceable. As others have said though, make sure you know what's hiding beneath....
'11 Four Winds 23'
'97 Ford F-350 CC 7.3 and 10' Alaskan NCO - Unknown vintage.
'05 Komfort 27' Bunkhouse (gone)

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know what you do now, but IMO

Consider dropping the dinette table to bed height and putting the dog kennels on that for the night. Then swap over during the day and put the kennels on the bed in the back and use the front dinette as was meant to be for yourselves.

We have three dogs and manage ok. Not Bassets though 🙂
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
Go ahead and do the mod.

Anybody that really needs sleeping accommodations will buy a larger C or a bunkhouse trailer.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

campingliz
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to consider is "what is under your dinette"? In addition to storage, we have the furnace and fuse box. We wouldn't want to have to figure that out!

Happy Camping!

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
1. Dont do it
2. Do it but keep the removed items in storage with modifications designed for best removal later.
3. Do it and throw the old stuff out and take X hit later.

I have seen few RV couches that I could sit on for long so a recliner would be very appealing to me. My feet are up right now.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Creating a white elephant surely has it's "resale" concerns....especially considering it's a 3 year old cream puff stored indoors.

I would give much thought into modifying it such that you can revert it back to it's original arrangement, keeping all the original stuff for the revert.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
with the corner bed and your modifications removing a second sleeping area there will be no option but to climb over each other getting out of bed.
bumpy

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
If you're planning on keeping it for quite awhile, it shouldn't make a huge difference in the resale in absolute terms. Even the difference between, say, $20K and $15K is $5,000, which while not exactly chump change is pretty small compared with the cost of the RV new.

I think it's a shame to not enjoy what you have for fear of having difficulty getting rid of it later.

(If you use a little care in making your modifications, they may well be fairly straightforward to reverse should the need come up.)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think it would indeed negatively effect resale. It might even make it very hard to sell.
You'll have to decide if it's worth it but it is the ultimate luxury to have something that works perfectly for you!

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have thought of the same thing with each mod I do but finally decided to bad, I would rather enjoy it then to make due any longer. Most people will only give you pennies on the dollar if it was in perfect condition as it will be an older unit so with the mods probably a little less but not enough to kill the deal.

Do the mods you want, enjoy it as long as you can then consider what you get when you sell it a bonus!
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see no reason it would have an effect on the resale other than to drop the price you may get. Dinettes and sofa's are replaceable. My coach had an electric sleeper/sofa that I removed and sold, replacing it with a dinette. Be sure your construction modifications are done properly, if you don't know how find a mobile RV mechanic or a carpenter to help you. Know where all your utility lines are so you don't drill through them by mistake. Enjoy your rig and how about some photos of your pooches.