cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RE: Converter problem solution

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased a new converter on 9/18 before leaving for AZ. Fan never stopped running and it had high pitched sound.
Emailed Progressive Dynamics; They responded almost immediately, declared it defective and shipped new one and it arrived in 3 days!!!
This company and its employees, especially Ms RAE were great.
In this day & age its great to find a company which treats its customers this great.
If you need a converter, this is the company brand you need to look for!!
Kennyg
11 REPLIES 11

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Seems like a lot of those PDs have a high pitched whine. Maybe a bad batch of some component. I assume the original was an older off the shelf model and the replacement is fresh from the factory.

I called them on it. New boards are perfect and have the Lithium jumper and problem solved. That was just a few they said as they retooled to the new surface mount boards and sent them to best.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Aside from vendor performance...

One of the great differences between made in China and made in the USA electrical and electronics is that products made in the USA get tested before they are wrapped in cellophane. Even John Marles, of Megawatt who uses far east parts in his products, but circuit boards made in Texas, tests his products before shipping. So does Meanwell, from Taiwan.

I mention this, not to criticize but to try and educate. I know of no company that sells converter products that have been operationally tested before shipping. Big companies use circuit testing that probe individual switching and control circuits. Be prepared to be the "Finished Product Guinea Pig". It is the hood ornament of our times and we have to live with it. But live with it as wisely as possible.

The whole RV is like that. They don't want to interrupt the line at the factory even if they find an "issue", so they find it is cheaper to send the Rvs out to the dealers and then solve any issues later under warranty. This keeps the line rolling, and some folks might not even notice the issue, so no warranty claims from them.

The 5er wee got brand new had a couple of foggy double pane windows, so the dealer tried to get replacements from the RV factory for us. Turned out the factory was behind in getting windows from their window vendor, so any new windows went straight into new trailers on the line, so we couldn't get any. Eventually after much pushing and shoving, our dealer managed to get the windows for us under warranty.

It is all about the production line and don't ever slow it down.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I've not had such good luck with them on technical questions. I sent them a technical question on two separate occasions regarding the same issue through their web site and never received and answer.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from vendor performance...

One of the great differences between made in China and made in the USA electrical and electronics is that products made in the USA get tested before they are wrapped in cellophane. Even John Marles, of Megawatt who uses far east parts in his products, but circuit boards made in Texas, tests his products before shipping. So does Meanwell, from Taiwan.

I mention this, not to criticize but to try and educate. I know of no company that sells converter products that have been operationally tested before shipping. Big companies use circuit testing that probe individual switching and control circuits. Be prepared to be the "Finished Product Guinea Pig". It is the hood ornament of our times and we have to live with it. But live with it as wisely as possible.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have never heard any sound save the fan on my 9180's and I still have hearing that goes fairly high in frequency (many loose high notes I have not. last tine I was tested I went to the range most folks call Ultrasonic)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like a lot of those PDs have a high pitched whine. Maybe a bad batch of some component. I assume the original was an older off the shelf model and the replacement is fresh from the factory.

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
Something about converter people and good service. Constant good reports from Bestconverter on all forums I've seen.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got mine even faster when my 12+ year old 9180 died....

But then the day after it died (A sunday was when I noticed it) I was headed SOUTH out of the Flint, Mi area.. So I detoured west a few miles. Spent MOnday night at the TA truck plaza in Tekonsha, MI (Home of Tekonsha Engineering) Note this TA used to be the TEKON, which is where the idea of "Truck Plazas" Like TA all got started by the father of a classmate of mine.

Next AM I Hot wheeled it (Drove car) to Marshall Walked in the building and when the woman said "Can I Help You" I pointed to the 9180 and said "DEAD".
She pointed to a double door and inside the woman ask the same question (Got the same answer) and when I walked out a few minutes later.. A brand new 9180 Refurb was in my hand.. Due to the 12 year plus age my wallet was a bit thinner but.. Hey.. When I pulled out of the TA.. It worked.

I really like that company too.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
When someone provides excellent service, tell everyone so that we may support and encourage them to keep it up!

Thanks for the report :C

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Wow, that's amazing.
Did you have to ship the other one back?

Yes, and they paid for the shipping back to the factory!
Kennyg

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Wow, that's amazing.
Did you have to ship the other one back?