cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Poor pump pressure

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Our water pump seems to be giving us almost no pressure. I can get it to pour very lightly out of the faucets and dribble through the toilets, but it doesn't even have enough pressure to send water through the shower, much less actually use it.

With the rig now winterized, I won't get to it until spring, but is is safe to assume that the pump is dying and needs to be replaced, or are there other issues that should be looked at before I replace it?
13 REPLIES 13

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
check filter.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
harley4275 wrote:

Mine had a 90 degree kink in the hose right near the tank . Unscrew some of the coroplast under the trailer near the tank and look inside with a flashlight to see if yours is kinked.
Or put a pail of water inside and suck up that water thru your winterising length of hose near the pump. If it pumps good then you have a kink in the hose from the tank.

I had the same problem when winterizing (which comes through an inlet on the back of the trailer). That's why I'm fairly confident that the problem is somewhere at the pump itself (blocked screen, failing pump, etc...).

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Similar issue.
Found the water heater bypass valve had gotten partially opened.
Once the valve was returned to normal position, everything was fine.

My valve is located inside a very full storage compartment.
Guess I need to fabricate some sort of cover.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Our water pump seems to be giving us almost no pressure. I can get it to pour very lightly out of the faucets and dribble through the toilets, but it doesn't even have enough pressure to send water through the shower, much less actually use it.

With the rig now winterized, I won't get to it until spring, but is is safe to assume that the pump is dying and needs to be replaced, or are there other issues that should be looked at before I replace it?

Mine had a 90 degree kink in the hose right near the tank . Unscrew some of the coroplast under the trailer near the tank and look inside with a flashlight to see if yours is kinked.
Or put a pail of water inside and suck up that water thru your winterising length of hose near the pump. If it pumps good then you have a kink in the hose from the tank.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Valve set to Tank Fill position?
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Is water flow good when connected directly to city water?

Yep - No issues at all!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt it is the pump, it either works or it doesn't. Check for a strainer at the pump.

Is water flow good when connected directly to city water?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Plugged strainers on the suction side of the pump first. Pumps are adjustable for cut in and cut out pressure. I think you have a blocked strainer(s) which is real common.

Thanks!

I will check this, and the power issues this spring, before I move towards any replacement. The unit is only 5 years old, and we rarely use the pump. I'd bet the pump has less than 25 hours of run time on it in total!

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Plugged strainers on the suction side of the pump first. Pumps are adjustable for cut in and cut out pressure. I think you have a blocked strainer(s) which is real common.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It may be a calibration on the pump, too, such that its cut-out pressure is way too low.

A little leak letting air into the suction line can have a dramatic impact on pump performance (and, depending on how the plumbing is set up, may well not have any appreciable water coming out the leak).

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would consider the pump screen is blocked. But it also depends on how old the pump is and how much you use it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

WRBARTZ
Explorer
Explorer
you may also have a filter on the input side of the pump and it may be clogged.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Without any leaks, yes, pump is dying, or voltage to pump is low.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman