cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Hydrometer

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for input on a new battery hydrometer. I don't particularly care of the one I have and am looking for a good, quality, accurate hydrometer. I currently have the Superstart brand Rapid Test hydrometer and don't care for it.

Looking to see what others are using.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68
7 REPLIES 7

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
(Chuckling)
Then I guess I should balance things and put my two-cents in for the hydrometer that all the flooded battery manufacturers use.

I tried using a refractometer. Then bumbled around with how to extract a sample from deeper in the cell than on the surface. An eyedropper with a long stem is very fragile. One with a long hose is inconvenient to store. Returned to the Freas.

The EZ RED is a "Wonder Hydrometer" IMHO. 48 units, around 30 wildly different readings. The right choice can yield specific gravity readings to your personal choice - wotta hoot.

WHERE TO BUY

http://www.rivercityindustrial.com/new-freas-no1-in-hydrometer-set-glass-work-battery-tester-nib-yy2...

I knew Mex would come up with a picture and correct spelling. This is my reference, and yes hydrometer, not hygrometer.

But I still find I get more consistent and quicker results with a refractometer. Every so often I cross correlate with the Freas and every time results are virtually dead on.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Some were pretty close. But most were off. Some were hysterically inaccurate. I remember one testing 1.320 in 1.280 electrolyte. The vendor was a Warehouse Distributor stuck with a pallet of them. He wanted to return them EZ Red was reluctant until I had a chat with them.

I thoroughly rinse my hydrometer after each use. Don't need 100% pure water. Tap water works fine. Fill the bulb with water then slosh it. This keeps the bulb and pipette looking like new.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Some tout the hrdrovolt as the latest and greatest..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGBgTxRGujU

The issue with the glass unit is the seal leaks at bottom and that thing makes a mess..

I never had different readings with my ez red
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
(Chuckling)
Then I guess I should balance things and put my two-cents in for the hydrometer that all the flooded battery manufacturers use.

I tried using a refractometer. Then bumbled around with how to extract a sample from deeper in the cell than on the surface. An eyedropper with a long stem is very fragile. One with a long hose is inconvenient to store. Returned to the Freas.

The EZ RED is a "Wonder Hydrometer" IMHO. 48 units, around 30 wildly different readings. The right choice can yield specific gravity readings to your personal choice - wotta hoot.

WHERE TO BUY

http://www.rivercityindustrial.com/new-freas-no1-in-hydrometer-set-glass-work-battery-tester-nib-yy2...

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
I have a frieze (sp?) hygrometer I used as a reference to the refractometer I got on amazon. excellent match.
I'm not sure you meant hygrometer.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
frieze makes nist traceable units.

However, IMHO for most of us a refractometer is a better choice. it is much more repeatable. available on amazon.

I have a frieze (sp?) hygrometer I used as a reference to the refractometer I got on amazon. excellent match.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
I use EZ red....

http://www.ezred.com/product/battery-hydrometer/
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh