cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Greenville SC to Columbus, OH...

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
First off, this isn't a camping trip so I won't be towing anything. Next weekend we will be traveling home from Greenville, SC and stopping in Columbus, OH.

According to Google Maps it pretty much is the same time to take 26 to 40 to 75 and up as compared to taking 85 to 77 up to Charleston WV and then cut up and over to Columbus.

What I am wondering is if there is any reason to avoid the 85 to 77 route? While the 26/40 route is very scenic, we have already traveled that route 6 times this year. I figured to see something a little different we would try 77. I just want to make sure there isn't any major construction or anything to be aware of.

Thanks!!
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910
2 REPLIES 2

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
If you are wanting a scenic route, travel up I-26 until it turns into Rt 23 and Rt 52 and head north to Chillicothe, then on to Columbus.

We live off of Rt 23 and it is mostly 4-lane limited access highway and is a beautiful drive. It does go through some smaller towns, but still is only a few minutes slower than traveling around on the boring interstates. My only suggestion is to take the bypass around Ashland, KY.

During the Bristol race, Ohio RVs come through here by the hundreds. It really is a good road.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Only concern with the 85 option would be hitting Charlotte area at the wrong time. Other than that and the $6 in tolls on 77, no reason not to take that route. While I didn't travel Oh 33 on a trip a few weeks ago, I did travel through that section of Ohio and found all the roads to be enjoyable.

Another option is 26 up through Asheville to 81 to 77. About the same time and distance. Would move the traffic time up about 30 minutes which would help, but be a huge problem if you hit going up 26 at the wrong time.

Always nice to take a different route.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)