cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone self installed a Winegard SK SWM3 to replace a dome

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to replace my Kingdome with a Traveler SK SWM3 in my 2006 Phaeton.

If anyone else has done this job in a similar Tiffin MH, I am looking for some feedback. I don't see a problem pulling new coax into the entertainment center but my problem may be in trying to pull the control cable from the dish using the 4 conductor Kingdome control cable. I want to pull the Winegard cable to the same area where the kingdome box is now located.

I know I can probably pull the coax and control cable together into the entertainment center but that space will get really crowded. Thus, I would like to keep them separated by pulling the control cable into the separate area where the King control is now located. I think I have a handle on the rest of the project.

Any help appreciated.
38 REPLIES 38

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the King Dome with a Traveler on my previous coach, a 2002 Winnebago Journey. I decided to run new coax when I pulled the control cable. Ran the wires about 3 feet along the roof to the entry hole above my AV cabinet. Dicor under/around the roof cable entry cap and small pieces of Eternabond tape every 12 inches to hold cables to roof. Worked like a charm.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
There you go 🙂 Wish I had a few of those around. My grandson is only 8.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
That's what grandkids (high school linebackers) are for.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got it installed and working! They really are pretty easy, and with a fiberglass roof getting the old sealant off is a snap. The hardest part was getting it up on the roof.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Alas. This was much ado about nothing. Did replace my dome with the Winegard SK SWM3 today. Spent the most time removing the dome and scraping the old sealer from the roof. Once everything was removed and cleaned and all the old holes sealed the installation of the new dish was the easy part. There is no question that I should reused the old coax. I see no way other than to drill a new hole above the cabinet and run the control cable. No reason not to replace the coax at the same time. The installation of the new dish was about 2 hours for me, a novice. I did spend a bit of time studying the instructions ahead of time.

only used one of the two tubes of Dicor that I bought. Will probably go back and cover the cables with Eternabond, since I bought it. Really not necessary.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
gutfelt wrote:
the point is and was why make unrequired or more screw holes in a RV roof when there are alternative/ better ways;;;; "my right mind" is a state of mind opined by that person only LOL
I guess it depends on if you think tape is a better way.

yep etna bond is bullet proof but I use dicor even better

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:
the point is and was why make unrequired or more screw holes in a RV roof when there are alternative/ better ways;;;; "my right mind" is a state of mind opined by that person only LOL
I guess it depends on if you think tape is a better way.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:
mikestock wrote:
Understood. Just following the Tiffin tech's recommendations. Prefer taping down to penetrating the roof with screws.

absolutely agree no one in their right mind would put screw holes in the roof of a MH when its not required or there are better methods ; I have also used dicor to hold coax in place on roofs
I did screw holes just like the factory did, also right next to the other 50 screw holes in the roof that hold everything else down - but I consider myself in my right mind.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
Understood. Just following the Tiffin tech's recommendations. Prefer taping down to penetrating the roof with screws.

absolutely agree no one in their right mind would put screw holes in the roof of a MH when its not required or there are better methods ; I have also used dicor to hold coax in place on roofs

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have to cover the cables on the roof - the factory doesn't if you order the Travler. Just make sure they are secured every 18" or so.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to use the Dicor just as you suggested. The Eternabond is just to cover the control cable as it runs laterally across the 3' span to the hole running down to the entertainment center. It has to run across the outer shell or inside the coach. I don't want it inside.

I have a friend in my storage lot with an Allegro Bus of about the same era. I looked at his, which was done in Quartzite. That looks like what was done there. The Tiffin tech told me that was about my only choice.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't believe the Eternabond advice is good advice. The Trav'ler will come with a cover plate. Drill, run the cable and use Dicor under the cover plate and screwed in place. Cover the edges and screws with more Dicor and you are done.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?