cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ramp door springs

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
The springs on my TH are too strong. I plan on taking it to the dealer, but I'm trying to learn all I can in preparation. Anyway, when I open the ramp, it will not drop all the way to the ground. The coil springs are so strong, the door will balance still about 2 ft off the ground. It takes additional weight on the ramp for it to fully drop to ground level.

During the PDI, the tech stated the springs will weaken with age, but I don't think I want to wait to find out. Because with closer inspection, the problem is more serious. The ramp bolts to a steel 'bumper' and it is being twisted as the ramp opens. A gap of 1/2" opens between the 'bumper' and the floor edge and has pulled the flexible sealant loose. My ramp door isn't too large or heavy, while most TH's have 5 or 6 hinges with coil springs, mine has just four.

The hardware is supplied by Lippert Components and their website list two different replacement coil springs SKU# 133633 and SKU# 173067, but no info on differences.

Has anyone had a similar issue and if so how was it fixed?
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos
15 REPLIES 15

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
Got the TH back from the dealer today. They could have taken the ez path and remove 2 springs, matching most of the other units. But they did exactly what I wanted (but didn't request), they removed a single spring. Now the ramp lowers within about an inch of the ground without binding and little movement of the bumper. Should be fine as the springs age.

The tech also said the factory stated not to weld the bumper to the floor frame, that a small gap was needed for water drainage off the floor. Not sure I believe the reasoning as the bumper is about 3/4" lower, so water should drain easily off the sloped floor anyway.
Larry Day
Rig Photos

Mike_LA
Explorer
Explorer
Dayle1,
My TH ramp door had only 2 springs when I bought it last month. I ordered 2 more from Lippert and installed them yesterday. I don't have any toys, so I only use the ramp as a patio deck.
The installation of the two extra springs were very easy, so if you need to remove a couple(so your door settles on the ground), it will be just as easy. If you do, remember the reseal all of the outer portion of the hinge plates, where it contacts the door with clear sealant. Geocel GC28100 ProFlex RV sealant is what I used. It can be purchased online at Walmart.com
Mike
--------------------------------------------------------
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/LBZ Duramax
2017 Hyper Lite XLR 26HFS

Previous Trailers:
2003 Aerolite 24RK
2006 Rockwood 3115SS TT
2006 Rockwood 8283SS FW
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24E
2012 Sunnybrook 26FBS

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a ramp door with only 2 springs on it, usually 4-6 springs is what I always see.

I've got pics of 6 identical units with 2 springs and more that I didn't download. The units that had 4 or 5 springs had optional patio railings. I'm talking about my specific brand and model.
Larry Day
Rig Photos

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I've ever seen a ramp door with only 2 springs on it, usually 4-6 springs is what I always see.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't ask them to do anything other than fix the problem. let them decide what is wrong.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
So I removed the bolts thru the bumper for the center hinges. That didn't change how far the ramp opens as shown by this pic.

All that happened is that instead of flexing the bumper, the hinge leaf now flexes and will likely bend the hinge rod if the ramp is pushed fully to the ground.

Anyway, this shows that the springs are too strong for the door weight and even if the bumper is reinforced, the ramp will still not drop to the ground. So I went on-line and looked at pics of identical units for sale. Shockingly, the vast majority have only two coil springs (including some at the dealer's other stores), although several had 4 and even 5 springs. Doesn't seem like a well controlled assembly process. But anyway I've got an appointment at the dealer and will ask them to try 3 or 2 springs AND reinforce the bumper.
Larry Day
Rig Photos

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
Think I will try an evaluation tomorrow. If I remove the lower bolts that attach to the bumper on the center hinges, that should eliminate any binding in the hinges. The outer two hinges will carry the weight of the ramp. But all of the coil springs will still be working to counterbalance the ramp weight. If the ramp opens and lowers completely to the ground, then the springs are OK.
Larry Day
Rig Photos

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't mention springs to the dealer. It is seldom a good idea to give a diagnosis to the service tech. Let them diagnose the problem.

Simply show them the problem where the flexing is taking place, your ramp is not installed correctly.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
Bob E. wrote:
If the bumper is bending that much, it might be putting the hinges in a bind and that could be what is holding up the door rather than the springs. Maybe you could have a welder add some steel to stiffen/strengthen the bumper and solve that problem first??

That is kind of my thinking as well or maybe all of the hinges aren't aligned correctly. Either will bind the hinge rod and may hold the door up. But the unit is under warranty so I really want the dealer to do the hard work, I just need to understand what is wrong.
If I can't figure it out with everyone's help and experience, I'm not sure the dealer will get it fixed the first time.
Larry Day
Rig Photos

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
BoonHauler wrote:
I agree with Joe, something should be done with the bumper flexing like that before you deal with the springs.

Have you reached out to Lippert about the different spring part numbers? ..... are they really different spring tension rates?

I did send an email to Lippert but just not sure how quick or helpful their response will be.
Larry Day
Rig Photos

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
If the bumper is bending that much, it might be putting the hinges in a bind and that could be what is holding up the door rather than the springs. Maybe you could have a welder add some steel to stiffen/strengthen the bumper and solve that problem first??

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Joe, something should be done with the bumper flexing like that before you deal with the springs.

Have you reached out to Lippert about the different spring part numbers? ..... are they really different spring tension rates?
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Be very thankful for that. I added two extra springs and the ramp is still all I can handle. It's very heavy until I get it 6' off the ground. I'm 6'3" 275lb.

I'm thinking of adding extra bumpers to tighten up the springs more.

On edit: the twisting and pulling away is a bad thing but I don't think putting in weaker springs is the solution.

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
BoonHauler wrote:
Those hinges do not open to 180 degrees. With that 1/2" gap you're talking about are you sure it's not the hinge / spring assembly reaching it's fully open position and stopping there?

The hinge is only open slightly more than 90 degrees before the ramp balances and it takes very little additional weight to bring the ramp fully down, so the hinges are not reaching their limits. The top edge of the steel frame bows out 1/2" it the area between the two attachment points with the frame rails and the black flexible seal has a gap in that area, it is only still intact for about a foot at each end.
Larry Day
Rig Photos