2015 Summer Journey Crossing Alaska, part 15

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
2015 Summer Journey
Delta Junction and Beyond
Alaska Crossing, part 15

July 13, 2015…Day 17 in Alaska
For those who just want to check out the pretty photos I’ve created a slide show video, click here:Richardson Highway,Alaska

We made our exit from River View RV Park; it was a quiet night with no further lost of the area electrical power. It was amusing to watch these high end motor home people cry the blues when the power dropped out, it was a caravan group. The grid was only down for than hour.

Picking back up Richardson Hwy 2 and passing through North Pole again. Zipping by Santa Claus House (to us a cheesy tourist trap) with old Saint Nick towering out by the highway checking his list.

The highway opened up along the Tanana Valley River, we pulled into a wayside that sported some information signage, smoke from a distance fire could be seen from here.

Our first moose sighting of the day would be just another few miles down the road; we pull onto the shoulder along with other travelers.

Old Richardson Hwy crosses the Tanana River and the Alaskan pipeline can be seen crosses over the river.

Entering Delta Junction about 01:41pm, I entered the parking area for the Buffalo Center Drive-in and also the Sullivan Roadhouse is located next door. Here Richardson Highway changes to Richardson Highway#4.

Julie and decide to wander around the Sullivan Roadhouse before eating.

Near the front door is a rather an unusual wood burning stove.

The next few photos will be of the inside of the roadhouse, this is of the front room area.

Entering the next room displayed many items such a piano, wood burning cooking stove, snow shoes, old wind up 78 rpm record player etc.

To my surprise the director of this museum let me play the record player; I wind it up and let it go!

Video:Wind Up Player

They packed a lot of by gone era items in this place, much more than I can write about.

We were told by the director that out in the back are several pieces of equipment, some that were used in building the original ALCAN Highway.

Wandering back to the front of the museum one could gaze upon the many flower and vegetables that are planted in log planters.

We thanked the director from all his information, but it was chow time. We no sooner made our order of buffalo burgers with all the goodies, Julie sat on a bench and some clown tried to make the move on my gal.

A bank was next door with temperature readout sign indicating only 79 degree; it indeed was a very comfortable day.

We’ll be going through Fort Greely Military Reservation, there was a good size road construction going on here.

Once out of the road works a clear view of the Alaskan Mountain Range south to us.

The speed limit had jump up to 65 mph, our truck hadn’t gone that fast in weeks. Even though the Alaska Range was still a long ways off it was none the less a magnificent view.

As luck would have it another moose sighting, only this one was a little shy and disappeared into the bushes.

I also took advantage of the moose stop to photography what look like a distance glacier, my best guess this is McGinnis Glacier at McGinnis Peak, I to use my big lens (600) to pull in this glacier shot.

Shortly down the road, hey what do you know another moose, a young bull moose this time! He was down below the highway in pretty much a mud hole; this was just before Donnelly Creek campground with Mt. Pillsbury in the distance.

Moving on and passing through the Black Rapids Training Site, where the US Army does it cold weather training.

A wonderful sight from the road came into view of the distance Rainbow Mountain, the Delta River and Trims Camp.

Just before reaching Trims Camp, you guess it another roadside moose enjoying diner and a bath at once. She was completely unfazed with photographing her.

It had been raining intermit for awhile, but the sky looked like it was going to get serious.

A small cession in the rainfall occurred as we motored on by the Rainbow Mountain, some very nice coloring of the mountain side.

Along Richardson Highway is a turnout with a stone craving of Wilds Preston Richardson and a information board about the “Gold Rush Women”

Our day was getting on the long and Summit Lake Rest Area was just ahead with the Gulkana River flowing near it. We wouldn’t be the only ones using this rest stop for the “night”, a couple good folks from Germany were here with their rig.

Thanks to everyone for reading my TCTRs, all comments are welcome and if you have any questions ask them here or PM me.
Link to previous Alaska Crossing,part 14

Working on part 16 of our Summer Journey, Alaska Crossing, I will post it as soon as it’s done.
Thanks, Alex Blasingame, aka c.traveler2.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog
7 REPLIES 7

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Lwiddis, Thanks for following along!

kohldad Finding many creative items such as that stove gives the insight of the saying that necessity is the mother of invention. We are already making plans for a 2018 return trip to Canada and Alaska, thank for reading my TCTR.

GpnAZ Thanks for following along, I brought my new camera it's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G85 and a new GoPro 5 Black, now I have to learn the new camera.

Ramp Digger Thanks for following along and reading my TCTR.

Clarryhill Thank you for the kind words and following along.

Grit dog Thanks for following along!
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thank you for posting! Every one of these TRs reminds me why we didn't want to leave.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
What an adventure, Alex. So enjoyable to follow along with your camera on this epic journey. Thanks so much for all your hard work putting it all together. What a job it must be. Really appreciate it tho.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Great TR Alex, I really enjoyed your slideshow video, thanks for putting your TR together and sharing it with us!
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
Alex. Thanks again for the great trip report. We are looking forward to the next episode.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Another great segment to your report. I'm going to have to capture them all off line and then plot them out on a map. Thanks for Sharing.

Near the front door is a rather an unusual wood burning stove.

My guess: The builder of the stove was very smart. He realized that a lot of heat is lost going up the flue. By having the extra chambers, he was able to capture a lot of the heat that would other wise had been lost.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful pictures.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad