cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storage bays: carpeted or rhinocast?

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
As we continue researching our future Class A purchase, and have narrowed the gasser field down to the Tiffin Allegro and Newmar Canyon Star, we have noticed Tiffin (and some other brands) has the rhinocast-lined bays and Newmar (and Winnebago) has carpeted bays.

Tiffin claims their bays are easier to clean. I have seen photos of carpeted bays on used Class A's with lots of stains and soiling which seems to support Tiffin's claim of easier cleaning with the rhinocast bays.

Opinions and experiences from you experienced Class A owners out there? Is one better over the other?
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17
29 REPLIES 29

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Sitting here in the living room of my 2012 Phaeton 36 QSH bought new in 2012 and I would have to go outside and open a bay to see how they are lined. I guess rotocast, but the Joey bed may have some liner. Makes no difference to me, I pack stuff in so it won't move and fluids of any kind are stored in plastic bins.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
My Georgetown XL had rotocast and each compartment had a one way drain valve which make cleaning them out easy. I have rubber mats in the ones where I am worried about things sliding. Also like the side opening baggage doors vs the ones that open from the bottom.
2015 Georgetown XL 377 TS 38 foot motorhome.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Deaton wrote:

But we would agree with others that the lining of the bays is a VERY minor criteria for selecting a coach.

the only time that the lining would affect my purchase is if I wanted/insisted on no lining and the RV came with glued down fabric/etc. lining that couldn't be removed. if the RV comes with rotocast bays and you want carpeted ones, no big deal to add carpet.
why is this such a big deal anyway? there are about a million other reasons to chose or reject a RV that are more important.
bumpy

Deaton
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve had three coaches, all with carpeted bays. We keep the potentially messy stuff in plastic tubs and vacuum out the leaves, grass an such that comes in with the patio furniture. When the last coach was sold (ten years old), the bays were like new.

But we would agree with others that the lining of the bays is a VERY minor criteria for selecting a coach.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, there's not a huge difference, nor would it be a deal breaker. I've had both and prefer carpeted bays. The rotocast bays are typically rounded on the bottom edges and corners, sometimes preventing you from getting square items to fit tightly against the back or side walls, losing some space. They're also very slippery and things slide around.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Andy F wrote:
I stopped in at our closest Newmar dealer today, Steinbring Motorcoach, and ended up taking a 2008 Dutch Star on a test drive. I am in love! We went out on Interstate I-94 with a gusty 25 mph crosswind and with the comfort drive I had one to two fingers on the steering wheel!

So I am going with carpeted storage bays---but in a Newmar diesel pusher! Hey Bruce the moderator in your Kountry Star--I have been won over from a newer gasser to a used diesel pusher, maybe even with a tag.

Great choice. I'm glad you were able to try the Comfort Drive under those conditions, that's when it really shines.

Obviously I haven't seen the one you drove, but did you notice how straight and true it was? We are a 3 time Newmar owner for a reason. :B

The comfort drive was unbelievable. When I backed the DP back into the parking spot at the dealership, I was able to let go of the steering wheel after getting it lined up. The steering auto centered and I backed straight it into the spot. Lee and Tim @ Steinbring Motorcoach gave ruined gassers for me forever.

I can buy the used 2008 Dutch Star 43 foot with a tag and 50,000 miles for less than a new gasser. And the Dutch Star looks and feels brand new.
Andy
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

Bruce_Brown
Andy F wrote:
I stopped in at our closest Newmar dealer today, Steinbring Motorcoach, and ended up taking a 2008 Dutch Star on a test drive. I am in love! We went out on Interstate I-94 with a gusty 25 mph crosswind and with the comfort drive I had one to two fingers on the steering wheel!

So I am going with carpeted storage bays---but in a Newmar diesel pusher! Hey Bruce the moderator in your Kountry Star--I have been won over from a newer gasser to a used diesel pusher, maybe even with a tag.

Great choice. I'm glad you were able to try the Comfort Drive under those conditions, that's when it really shines.

Obviously I haven't seen the one you drove, but did you notice how straight and true it was? We are a 3 time Newmar owner for a reason. :B
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We must have rhinocast and it is easy to clean. Especially spills like a car wax, oil, etc. We are full-time so have enough stuff in our bays we don't have to worry about anything sliding, but things don't slide easily on the liner anyways. It's kind of like a hard plasticized rubberized something.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both and they made no diffrernce to me. Had a Newmar with bays made of aluminum panels and carpet and now have the rotocast bays. Used a vacuum to clean the Newmar and a hose to clean my HR. I now have carpet in th bottom of my rotocast bays. Both work well for me.
Rotocast probably saves labor during assembly and is probably why we see it more often in newer coaches.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer

Andy
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd think the Rhino, I'm thinking like truck bedliner. With it, you can easily add carpet to some of the compartments if you want. I'd think depending on what you store in there one or the other might be better. You definately don't want carpet where you are storing a grill, but other areas you might want the carpet.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
which allegro are you looking at ? that 36LA linked to has a dreadful L shaped sofa.
bumpy

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
Video showing the storage bays (fast forward 2:39 into video)
Andy
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know what rotocast was so I looked at Tiffen's website and they all look like carpeted cabinets. Is it kind of a rough texture in gray that looks like carpet? If it's like a rhino liner, in a truck, those are a pain to keep clean. If it's smooth that would make for a nice cleanup, but slick.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed