cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

End of the year wrap up... So how was 2017?

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inspired by a similar thread over on the Harley Davidson Forum I thought this might be a good time to throw it out here...

Winter is fast approaching and for much of the country, the time to put the RV's to bed for a long winter's nap is fast approaching if not already on scene. I would like to express my sincere condolences to all who live in areas that require shutting down your RV for a number of months.
Living in southern Arizona we can RV year round.... OK, it's actually fun about 350 days a year. ๐Ÿ˜‰

For us 2017 was the best year ever. We made 14 trips totalling nearly 20,000 miles. We towed my Harley Super Glide on a Kendon single trailer for most of them. This gives us the opportunity to ride some of the finest bike roads in America and return every afternoon to all of the comforts of home found in our Nexus 24' Class C. Frankly, the Harley makes a pretty decent Toad though at 24' we really don't "need" one.

Our three long trips included 2 weeks {April} in Utah {Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon} and two, 2-week trips {July and August} to the southern Rockies {Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Norwood, Telluride, Cortez, Pagosa Springs, Taos, Angel Fire, Red River, Questa etc..}

We also found time to do Quartzsite, Laughlin, Oatman and Vegas all in one trip {January} to start the year off right. Did subsequent trips to Cottonwood {Jerome, Sedona, Camp Verde} and Flagstaff (Snow Bowl, Grand Canyon, Williams and even Meteor Crater}. We did two more trips to the White Mountains {Big Lake at 9,200'} and Mogollon Rim {Canyon point at 7,700'} to break up the summer heat of Tucson.

One bike trip to San Diego to take the Advance Rider Skills Course and three by car to deal with family business and then rounded out the year with a 1,800 mile run last week to San Antonio to visit friends {former neighbors} and play a little golf.

Happy to report zero, none, zip, nada problems on any of our travels. Nothing but nice folks and incredible scenery. I'm thinking this is why we all RV... am I wrong here? {I didn't 't think so}. :W

So how about it, how was your 2017? I hope you all had as much fun as we did and if not there is always next year. Like the man said...

"Get your motor running, head out on the highway, looking for adventure, in whatever comes our way... {you know the rest}

:B
50 REPLIES 50

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
As FT Evers, we traveled quite a bit! We wintered in Yuma & Gold Canyon, visited Utah Natl Parks with family & visited the Oregon coast before heading for 3 mo in the Great Lakes & mid west. We are wintering in Yuma again, it are currently visiting family in Washington for Christmas... & itโ€™s snowing!

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
our season started out well.there was a fairly early lake ice off so we got out around the last week of march and almost every weekend up to our month long august trip.unfortunately our boat floated away 3 days before we were to head home,and we didn't get it sorted out with the ins. company till late november so no fall camping/fishing this year and nowhere near our 100 day camping average.we tried to make it all the way to alaska but we got sidetracked and distracted too many times and only made it half way,but we will try again till we actually make it.we also did well fishing the big water lakes this year. on the bright side we did finally get the ins. claim sorted out and have ordered a new boat,replaced all the fishing gear and assorted electronics and all the gear to run the new one,so we're chomping at the bit to get out. all we need to do to the camper tis year is to replace the right side awning we lost to a very violent wind storm. 3 long months till we do it all over again.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Just another fantastic year of RV'ing with 103 nights total spent in them (the Lance TC or the Carriage Carrilite 5th wheel) on our trips in Michigan, the Midwest, the Southeast, and the South this 2017 calendar year. Also many days spent in one of our boats too in mostly in the West Michigan areas. Can't enjoy an RV etc unless you actually use it.

No law is stating that you'd have to even be 25 miles or more from your home if finances are an issue and besides there's so many tens of thousands of places free boondocking can be done all over the USA and thus roughly cancels out the financial issues. Have to eat when at home or in your RV anyway so food isn't a cost issue. Most will use their vehicle or vehicles when at home anyway so fuel costs are greatly reduced. Medical issues or accidents are another story or problem and they sure can vary from minor to major.

Second week in Jan 2018 will start our 2018 RV travel etc all over again and will likely be more the the 103 of 2017. Simply put, you only get older each day but will never younger nor turn back the calendar to do what you wanted to do but didn't, so why wait until you can't even do the fun things of enjoyment for today?
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
RVing wise, we had a nice trip to the Outer Banks and northern Pa.My retirement account went through the roof.Work was good. But I was in the hospital 3 times and had 2 out patient procedures. Our dog died as did my aunt and uncle. My best friend lost both parents in 30 days.I'm hoping 2018 is a better. We are planning a trip to Arizona and Texas in the spring.

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
We did trip to Outer Banks then back up Va,Md,De,Nj coasts, lake George, a couple of concert tailgates, multiple beach day trips, and a D.C. area tour. A good year, now planning 2018!

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
We didnโ€™t venture out this year as much as in previous years. We spent the annual 4 nights photographing a local music festival. In October, we camped for about 3 weeks in Eastern Washington and the Wallowa Mts, Snake River and Owyhee areas. Due to snow, we spent the last week along the Oregon Coast enjoying the sunny weather. Our parking lot/rustic campground became more popular and we put up a 10x20 cedar cabin to rent out. We now have it organized so it is not as labor intensive. While on our October trip, we decided that we would get back to the 100+ days from the past. Happy trails.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
TCINTN wrote:
Had another great year. Was able to spend around six weeks volunteering at disasters. So looking forward to our next trip with my bride.

Which organization(s) do you volunteer with? Sounds interesting.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I finally got the bank account to the point where I felt comfortable putting the new engine in the RV only to have INSURANCE pay for it (NOW that was good) new engine is a year older than the rest of the ride. purrs like a kitten on level ground (Roars nicely going up hills) And that made it a very good year

Got some front end work (body work) done. New steps (old ones damaged) new rubber New Dash A/C Compressor and still have a few dollars in the bank account. Not many. but enough to last till payday (Day after tomorrow).

In this respect it was a good year.

IN OTHER NEWS.. Not so much but we don't talk about that here.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had a pretty good year. Did a bunch of weekend trips but our highlight was an 18 night adventure. Spent a week at the 50th Annual Coachmen Rally in Elkhart, In. Then went to Niagara Falls and on down to the Ark Experience in Williamstown, Ky. then on home. Unfortunately all things must come to an end.

Have been putting off a knee replacement for about a year. I guess I had been putting extra stress on the other knee and now I have a torn meniscus. Probably going to have both knees replaced one after the other. I will be ready for retirement then in a couple more years and hopefully will be ready to do some extensive travel!!! Woohoo!!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

daireemt
Explorer
Explorer
Probably our most disappointing year....Only took 4 trips, never longer than 4 nights, never leaving the state. Work and financial concerns cancelled 2 trips, with 2 others shortened because of poor planning on our & co-workers part. Our last trip,(last month,) was pre-empted by a detour to an ER with a mild heart attack. To top it off weโ€™ve lost our free indoor storage for the winter.
We were able to secure indoor storage, but at a considerable cost. Looking ahead, with financial and work situations stabilized, (and Godโ€™s blessing of improved health,) we plan to make better use of our RV in 2018.
Still enjoy this forum all year
Happy Holidays to all Rvers.
Daireemt--"I thought it would take longer to get old."
Dear Wife of 37.5 years
2004.5 Chevy Duramax
2007 Jayco 28.5 RLS

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will say it again, this was a great thread to read and enjoy. Loved hearing about other campers and how they live and give their time and more!

TCINTN
Explorer
Explorer
Had another great year. Was able to spend around six weeks volunteering at disasters. I ended the year doing disasters in Houston for two weeks and wore me out. I think it is time to find another job when volunteering,my 75 years are catching up with me.
Got me a new aortic valve last of March on a Thursday and had lunch at home the next day and did I feel better.
My bride and I spent a total of nine weeks fishing in Colorado and Arkansas chasing those trout.
The best part is my kids and grandkids are doing well and my bride is now cancer free.
So counting disasters,fishing,and side trips we spent around 120 days in our camper.
So looking forward to our next trip with my bride.
"But if not"
"Nevertheless"

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Ours was terrible. We usually spend 75-100 nights camping, this year we only spent about 34 so far. That is my measure of a good or bad year at this point.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a good year. I am just a weekend camper and stay close to home. I had a girlfriend earlier in the year and her daughter got married and it was a 269 mile one way trip with my Travel Trailer. That was something new to me. I had a lot of fun.

The best time I had this summer was not a camping trip unfortunately. I drove from my home in southwest MN to south of Lincoln Nebraska to see the eclipse. I took to 14 year old boys that work for me on the farm along. We left a day early and stopped in Omaha Nebraska to see the zoo. The eclipse was great and I highly recommend the Henry Doorly Omaha Zoo. I never knew that there were so many weird animals in the world.